Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
After exhausted US Open champion Novak Djokovic is unable to play singles on Friday in Serbia’s Davis Cup semifinal against Argentina, Serbian Captain Bogdan Obradovic alleges that the USTA is plotting against other Davis Cup nations. Argentina is ahead 2-0 in Belgrade. Djokovic and Rafael Nadal did not finish the US Open final until Monday night.

"This drama is maybe because of US Open, the role needs to be changed, build a big roof or new stadium," Obradovic told DavisCup.com. "The Americans [are] making lots of problems to other countries. I know that Americans [were] not in the [Davis Cup] semifinals and finals last couple of years. Maybe that’s why they are not rebuilding the stadium… I didn’t use Novak because of the late [US Open final]."

Obradovic says that Djokovic may play Saturday doubles with Nenad Zimonjic.
"I’m going to have a small meeting and we will make decision tomorrow," he said. "Novak will hit some ball tomorrow and we will see how he reacts with his [bad] back."

Article

Seriously? Is this a joke? His excuse-making is even worse than Guy Forget's excuse-making after France's loss last year.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
He didn't really say that.. (as you can see from quotes which tripwires posted)

He's just pissed this year like last Nole can't play first tie due to him playing on Monday final @USO thus being tired.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Scheduling Davis Cup matches for right after the Slams is the problem. Not the stupidity of the U.S. Open organizers in not building a roof.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
affirmative. its the scheduling of 2 masters events so close and then having the u.s. open after that is the problem.

he is making excuses for the loss well in advance.

what he really should be doing is focusing on getting back in this tie. they are behind 0-2. that is where his attention needs to be.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
He's obviously covering for Nole.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
affirmative. that and also making sure he has excuses in place well in advance.

sounds like he is giving up. this is not good encouragement for the team.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,510 Posts
Although, getting the funds for the roof would probably of higher chance if USA had a bigger role in the sport. Like it has in the past. For instance, professional hockey teams are bankrupting left, right, and center in the country and I believe a big part of this is the lack of American contention in the sport.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He didn't really say that.. (as you can see from quotes which tripwires posted)

He's just pissed this year like last Nole can't play first tie due to him playing on Monday final @USO thus being tired.
Huh? The tweet matches this quote: "I know that Americans [were] not in the [Davis Cup] semifinals and finals last couple of years. Maybe that’s why they are not rebuilding the stadium"

·
Registered
813 Posts
Huh? The tweet matches this quote: "I know that Americans [were] not in the [Davis Cup] semifinals and finals last couple of years. Maybe that’s why they are not rebuilding the stadium"
No, it doesn.t match, actually.

How does 'maybe that's why they didn't rebuild the stadium' = they decided not to build a roof because they weren' in the semis????

the idiot who tweeted made it seem like the man stated a fact. Clearly in the quote he is issuing an opinion. I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation...

They're twisting his words. Lots of drama for nothing:eek:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, it doesn.t match, actually.

How does 'maybe that's why they didn't rebuild the stadium' = they decided not to build a roof because they weren' in the semis????

They're twisting his words. Lots of drama for nothing:eek:
It matches just fine, especially for a tweet. Only if you're being pedantic for defensive reasons would you take issue with it. It's no less absurd of a statement either way.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's nothing absurd about it, and there is no need for me to be defensive. I agree with the mad. The USTA IS causing all sorts of problems by not building a roof. Not just for the players (though that should be enough), but also for the fans.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's nothing absurd about it, and there is no need for me to be defensive. I agree with the mad. The USTA IS causing all sorts of problems by not building a roof. Not just for the players (though that should be enough), but also for the fans.
There's nothing absurd with the suggestion that they didn't put up a roof because they weren't in Davis Cup semis or finals? Ok sure, makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's nothing absurd with the suggestion that they didn't put up a roof because they weren't in Davis Cup semis or finals? Ok sure, makes perfect sense.
That's not what I said. I said there was nothing absurd about his statement. His ENTIRE statement. Unlike everyone else, I am not just concentrating on a small fragment of it.

Why are you guys only jumping on that single part of the statement?:)

The mad disregarded the main part of the statement and decided to tweet the most irrelevant part. He knew that would cause trouble and drama (MTF loves drama) and he achieved his goal :)

He said SO much more than that, none of which were absurd. If he came out of his face and was spouting off for no reason, I would understand, however, he has a point and he has the right to vent. Clearly, everyone but the USTA has realized there must be a roof on the main courts. It's just common sense at this point. Perhaps Novak would've had sufficient time to rest if the finals had been played on time.

But I have zero interest in arguing. I've said my peace, and I shall take my leave. We can agree to disagree:)

Bonne nuit:wavey:

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
what's pathetic is after nadal & murray complains about
court surface, schedules, safety and career longevity to the us open organizer brian earley, the loser usa players suddenly pretend they care about their health during grand slams. yet, someone such as roddick avoids playing on clay but believes their only way to save their dignity in a failed career is winning davis cup (hypocrite hallucinates that he could play davis cup with illness/injury and win davis cup without playing the top 3 ranked opponents. unlike his thought process at the grand slams).

·
Registered
101 Posts
He's not saying the US didn't build a roof because they wanted to hurt other countries, though. He's saying they're indifferent about the DC problem because it doesn't affect their own players. Why pour tons of money into a roof to fix something that doesn't even affect their country's athletes?

Still paranoid, but not flat-out crazy.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Obradovic is a tool.
The main problem is ITF scheduling. USTA has nothing to do with it, they have their own share of problems.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts