Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping for a Federer v Joker final but I think there is going to be a twist tomorrow and one of them is going out. I am starting a thread here but got nothing to bet on as of yet.
Maybe someone has some decent suggestions?

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Milos is serving bombs and he is playing so well but everytime i watched him play fed he has looked so one dimensional and the bh gets found out so will probably live bet, im guessing he will still be the dog up a set

·
LIFETIME MUG
36,502 Posts
Who is closer to causing an upset on paper? I think possibly Dimitrov, in spite of the "anomaly" in the odds. It's strange because Federer has come so close at winning another major and his fans would like to see him against Dimitrov in the final. Somehow I'm not rating Raonic' chances as high. If Dimitrov could borrow the "attitude" of somebody like Gulbis to compliment his current tennis I'd put him as favourite in my book but my fear is that he might "respect" Djokovic too much.

total game in the first semi: over 39.5 @ 1.75

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am actually considering a Dimitro and Raonic double, its unlikely I admit but if I don't do it and it comes up then I would be kicking myself. I thought about Krygios to beat Nadal and never bothered, course it came up, sods law!

·
Registered
476 Posts
This has really been the closest Wimbledon for years with the unending surprises of constant twist and turns that have now brought the best 4 to the verge of the Red sea. The question is who really has the authentic rod to part the waters and secure victory by getting to the other side.

There already seems to be an unspoken code of agreement so far among the few that have already expressed their views, that is bordering more than likely on a belief that there will not be a Djokovic/Federer final this year. I really have to have this notion as a foundation to build upon to help lead me to the possible winner, or I might as well not even bother.

Even then, there are still huge complexities that linger in the line of vision. Federer looks to have gone under the radar undetected due to the friendly draw he has had to encounter hitherto; I strongly believe from where he stands, he is one win away from the crown. If federer beats Raonic, then I feel quite confident that he will be able to handle Djokovic comfortably, especially on grass in the present circumstance. However there is a real drawback to the validity of that IF. Federer is frigid, and has been in decline now for some years. I am not getting sucked into the Wawrinka victory as it was more a Wawrinka capitulation than a Federer victory. federer's tennis might just be still good enough to pay the bills. Nothing more!

Here is the crux of the analytical eye of the Federer match. Federer has a 4-0 h2h lead on Raonic. One of those matches was played on grass 2years ago when milos was a big serving no-brains apprentice. He has come on a lot now and feels confident that the improvent in his game will be enough to Keep mr federer frozen for most of the game. The current Federer still has all the skills required to put on a big show, I just do not think he has the stomach for a grind if an ugly win is required. He lost that many years ago. I feel Milos will frustrate Federer with the serve to a point where Fed starts to become ragged and one dimensional. Just too much focus required from the old boy to fulfil the criteria of breaking Milos enough times to win the match.

Dimitrov may be in superlative form, but that is really not what concerns me now. It is more the air of invinsibility around him that concerns me. He just looks and feels like a winner just waiting for the presentation ceremony. I remember at queens that I almost backed Wawrinka to beat him till I suddenly remembered his interview days earlier. He said had come to queens with only one thing on his mind - and it was mission accomplished in the end. Can he beat Djokovic? Yes, but I will be taking +2.5 to protect my huge bet. I will certainly go for dimitrov in a mild separate bet.

In my opinion for Dimitrov to win Wimbledon, he will have to beat Djoker and really hope Federer somehow beats Raonic. Raonic to me looks like a well bred racehorse who has been waited with, has received a lot of cover during the long race and is now being angled for a run as he enters the clear. Milos Raonic to win wimbledon must be taken as a better option if you are going to take him to beat fed. VERDICT RAONIC to delete FEDERER and dimitrov/Djoker over 3.5 sets. Good luck everyone!!!!!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I think Dimitrov is more likely to cause an upset here (than Raonic) .He is better grass player, in good form and Djokovic always felt kinda uncomfortable on grass.

Fed knows how to beat big serve on grass, he beat Roddick here several times, he beat Karlovic here twice , in fact he never lost to big serving player in Wimbledon.So I wouldnt count on double upset in semifinals , very unlikely IMO.Plus, Federer always plays better when Nadal is out of tournament.Less mental pressure on him, I guess.

Dimitrov over Djok @4.1

GL

Partly because of fact that I have Djoko outright taken before tournament and I dont want to waste this money completely.He looks vulnerable here, he looks like No.3 out of remaining 4 players.

If Fed wins and Djok wins, I probably back Fed in Final.

·
LIFETIME MUG
36,502 Posts
I think it's a bit irrational to suggest that somebody who has never been so deep in a major before and has never beaten his opponent before can be a tougher opponent than a seasoned warrior who has beaten his potential opponent numerous times and is about to regain the no 1 spot in the rankings.

I find it a bit irrational but it might just be me, the postmortem will show.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I needed Raonic to take a set to complete my overs double. That was never happening from the moment he walked onto the court, the clown never turned up at all. Very disappointed in him. Anyway onto Sunday now and hopefully Federer wins as I said all along I would love to see him win one last slam!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I needed Raonic to take a set to complete my overs double. That was never happening from the moment he walked onto the court, the clown never turned up at all. Very disappointed in him. Anyway onto Sunday now and hopefully Federer wins as I said all along I would love to see him win one last slam!
The backodds for Djokovic on Betfair are now 1.64, those for Federer 2.56. Do you think that's realistic? I would say Federer is the favorite because he's better suited to the grass, he moves much better and he has a much better record in GS finals. How do you see this?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I think Dimitrov is more likely to cause an upset here (than Raonic) .He is better grass player, in good form and Djokovic always felt kinda uncomfortable on grass.

Fed knows how to beat big serve on grass, he beat Roddick here several times, he beat Karlovic here twice , in fact he never lost to big serving player in Wimbledon.So I wouldnt count on double upset in semifinals , very unlikely IMO.Plus, Federer always plays better when Nadal is out of tournament.Less mental pressure on him, I guess.

Dimitrov over Djok @4.1

GL

Partly because of fact that I have Djoko outright taken before tournament and I dont want to waste this money completely.He looks vulnerable here, he looks like No.3 out of remaining 4 players.

If Fed wins and Djok wins, I probably back Fed in Final.
Pathetic failure.

But I still back Fed in final

·
LIFETIME MUG
36,502 Posts
For me it's realistic, I can't see Djokovic losing yet another grand slam final especially against Federer who hasn't been in this situation since 2012. Of course he also has to deliver on the day.
It would be a great story if Federer won though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me it's realistic, I can't see Djokovic losing yet another grand slam final especially against Federer who hasn't been in this situation since 2012. Of course he also has to deliver on the day.
[...]
OK, thanks. It's just that his bad form in GS finals would seem negative for Djokovic.

I don't know if I should have opened a tread about the final rather than commenting on this one, by the way?

·
LIFETIME MUG
36,502 Posts
If you heard his comments after the Dimitrov match he did point at his poor showing in finals lately and it seems that it is something that bothers him. So I expect him to turn up on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not getting involved as I am on a bad run the last while but I think History will repeat itself from 2011 with joker and kvit winning, I am hoping I am wrong on both counts, no bet on either for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There was one comment that I could forget. He's not known now as Sharapova's boyfriend but he is Grigor Dimitrov.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts