Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look Federer has done great things for tennis post 30.

But I feel that he often overshadows the great contributions that Nadal and Djokovic are making to the sport right now.

Most tennis players were hitting 30 and hanging up the racquet, either hiding with their retirement winnings or fooling around on the seniors tour.

Yet here we have Djokovic and Nadal promoting a new event and playing each other in the finals of it, giving 100% in every match they have played.

Both guys could have easily hung up the racquet with their prize winnings and major accomplishments, but now both of them are pushing the sport even further. Fighting for greatness seven years post peak age and promoting the future of tennis.

Nadal vs. DJOKOVIC is always going to be special, doesnt matter if it is a routine win or a 4 hour epic.

But really we should be in awe over these two guys and what they continue to do for the sport we love.

Feel free to bash and hate me, but that would be a waste of time, when we have 30+ legends not named Federer who are making history every day.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree, despite the overly sensationalized "screw the old man". What Federer is doing at 38 is mind-boggling, but I get your point that it's overshadowing Nadal and Djokovic's achievement unfairly.
Now, almost everyone expects them to dominate, thinking 33/34 is not that old and that they still have many years to go. But before Federer, we would've all been in awe of what they're currently doing, and I think we should still be.

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, despite the overly sensationalized "screw the old man". What Federer is doing at 38 is mind-boggling, but I get your point that it's overshadowing Nadal and Djokovic's achievement unfairly.
Now, almost everyone expects them to dominate, thinking 33/34 is not that old and that they still have many years to go. But before Federer, we would've all been in awe of what they're currently doing, and I think we should still be.
Yeah they are breaking new ground every day and bringing the sport to new heights. They are holding future generations at bay. Starting with generation useless and now NextGen. Over confident 20-24 year olds are still getting out hit and outlasted by 33/34 year old Djokovic and Nadal.

Djokovic and Nadal are still carrying the financial torch for tennis and bringing in more viewers then probably 3 next gen matches combined...

Reactions: hammett

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
What they've done and still do, the three of them, is awesome. Difference is Fed was born with a superhuman body, he will probably play till 50 uninjured, while the other two have to deal with their failure-prone human bodies full of injuries and food intolerancies.

·
God loves a trier
4,843 Posts
I agree with the general point, but it's worth remembering that Novak is younger than Federer was when they contested the first of their three Wimbledon finals.

Also, Federer had to beat ATGs in their prime when he was Novak's and Rafa's age, whereas Novak and Rafa have no serious younger competition as yet.

So I'm happy to celebrate Nadal and Djokovic for their late-career achievements, but it remains to be seen how competitive they will be when the current crop of youngsters have matured just a little bit more.

Over confident 20-24 year olds are still getting out hit and outlasted by 33/34 year old Djokovic and Nadal.
Novak is 32 and Rafa is 33.

·
God loves a trier
4,843 Posts
What they've done and still do, the three of them, is awesome. Difference is Fed was born with a superhuman body, he will probably play till 50 uninjured, while the other two have to deal with their failure-prone human bodies full of injuries and food intolerancies.
Or: Federer is stoic about his injuries and doesn't make a running drama of them.

·
God loves a trier
4,843 Posts
All injuries are well documented.
Not true. Fed tends to hide his. He played half of 2018 with a hand injury, but only revealed it after the fact.

Federer doesn't retire from matches and doesn't have theatrical press conferences and warm-ups to see if he'll be able to play. Also, you'll find no stories planted in the media about how he couldn't walk after a match or needed help to put on his jeans.

This is not because he has a superhuman body, but because he suffers in silence and doesn't dramatise every ache and strain.

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with the general point, but it's worth remembering that Novak is younger than Federer was when they contested the first of their three Wimbledon finals.

Also, Federer had to beat ATGs in their prime when he was Novak's and Rafa's age, whereas Novak and Rafa have no serious younger competition as yet.

So I'm happy to celebrate Nadal and Djokovic for their late-career achievements, but it remains to be seen how competitive they will be when the current crop of youngsters have matured just a little bit more.

Novak is 32 and Rafa is 33.
32/33/34 makes no difference. Still holding off the overzealous young guns.

We all get Federer is feat of nature and a role model, but still Djokovic and Nadal are doing a lot for the sport.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Nice unbiased analysis OP, but I disagree with the "screw the old man" - than man reached his peak at 38 and pushed a better player to 70% and 40-15, which is nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Great post OP! I wanted to add another note. Here’s the number of majors since turning 30:

Rafa - 5
Nole - 4
Fed - 4

All this to say things like this further cement these guys as the 3 best of all time. But, to OP’s point, we typically only hear about Fed’s age. Considering the numbers above and the fact that Rafa and Nole are 5 and 6 years younger than Fed, it’s darn impressive and should be talked about more. It doesn’t diminish Fed’s greatness, but rather speaks on Rafa and Nole’s more.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Agree.Pathetic tards always said where will be Rafa and Djoko after 30+? Here it is. N 1 and 2 sharing slams and fighting for their countries.Meanwhile 40-15rer chickened out turney lol

:Worhsip: Djodal!

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a Federer fan, but I believe Djokovic and Nadal are redefining what post 30s tennis looks like. It is even more highlighted by the fact that they really only have each other to compete with.

2012, 2014 and or 2015 Federer also was a feat of magic, but unfortunately peaking Djokovic and many other players were around to stop him in his tracks.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yeah they are breaking new ground every day and bringing the sport to new heights. They are holding future generations at bay. Starting with generation useless and now NextGen. Over confident 20-24 year olds are still getting out hit and outlasted by 33/34 year old Djokovic and Nadal.

Djokovic and Nadal are still carrying the financial torch for tennis and bringing in more viewers then probably 3 next gen matches combined...
They are still not 33/34 stop with the annoying practice of.making people older than they really are, so Federer is now 39?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Great post OP! I wanted to add another note. Here’s the number of majors since turning 30:

Rafa - 5
Nole - 4
Fed - 4

All this to say things like this further cement these guys as the 3 best of all time. But, to OP’s point, we typically only hear about Fed’s age. Considering the numbers above and the fact that Rafa and Nole are 5 and 6 years younger than Fed, it’s darn impressive and should be talked about more. It doesn’t diminish Fed’s greatness, but rather speaks on Rafa and Nole’s more.
4 years 9 months and 25 days in the case of Rafa
5 years 9 months and 14 days in the case of Nole.

So current Nadal is as old as Federer in 16 march 2015
And current Djokovic is as old as Federer in 27 march 2014.

By end march 2015 federer was long time called a grandpa and ancient tennis player

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are still not 33/34 stop with the annoying practice of.making people older than they really are, so Federer is now 39?
Not on purpose sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts