Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He probably did not foresee the exact chain of events that would take place but think about it -

1.By asking to be scheduled on CC, either of Nadal or Federer would move to Court 1 which eliminates one of his rivals.
2.For Roger specifically, the court is not only special but the crowd's effect might also be heavier.
3. Even if the person shifted to Court 1 won, the transition back to CC in the semis might not be perfect.

So rather than for the sake of his own game, Novak probably made the request to disturb his potential opponents game. In the post match discussion on some panel at Wimbledon, Djokovic seemed to know the last time Federer played on Court 1 (3-4 years he said which is true). If this really happened, then Djokovic is a master planner.

PS: It is not unfair or anything as Federer has had the privilege of CC for too long. It just shows how difficult it is for the lesser seeded and unseeded players to be hopping from one court to another every round.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
Also he got to play and finish earlier than his SF opponent, because usually QFs which will clash in the SF are played at the same time in different courts, but request messed up everything, Isner and Nadal got a bit disadvanged.

But nothing to Novak here, he deserved the CC really.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The math didnt add up.
While Federer always played in CC Nole only played once. So organizers screwed thing much earlier.

I saw that interwiew also and Nole did know last time Fed played on C1.

Organizers need to be fair to top players.

Fed cant play during the day because its hot so he asks to play nightime, (smart). And things like that.
AO and USOpen to be fair. RG he cant ask that because they have to play during the day.

So maybe it was Karma or maybe it was Nole fault.

But in the end its a grass court and Fed is or was one of the best.

·
justice for all
13,135 Posts
Let's not look for ridiculous excuses. You know me, I'm not a fan of either Rafa nor Novak, but Roger has only himself (and maybe Anderson) to blame for the loss.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The court factor is kinda nonsense mostly. I have posted this on another thread...so repeating it here again-
I don't understand this court thing actually...it's not like it's some football pitch where atleast pitch dimensions wary based on stadium...If at all court was to be a factor, it should have been early on in the match having to adjust to the different conditions after almost 3 years. Not from 2 sets up and having a MP

·
Registered
691 Posts
As Roger said himself "I blew it, it was my problem" when asked about the effect of playing on Court No. 1. However, I'm sure Novak must have been smiling to himself to see how his request for Centre Court paid off.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The court factor is kinda nonsense mostly. I have posted this on another thread...so repeating it here again-
I don't understand this court thing actually...it's not like it's some football pitch where atleast pitch dimensions wary based on stadium...If at all court was to be a factor, it should have been early on in the match having to adjust to the different conditions after almost 3 years. Not from 2 sets up and having a MP
The outer courts have more grass and we see a lot of S&V points and smashes. If del po vs nadal on court 1 nadal would have lost for sure.

Federer was complaining about the grass, in the PC he did not admit it.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Do we know he actually requested it? I watched his QF press conference on Wimbledon.com (also on their Youtube channel) and he didn't say that. He may have in the Serbian portion?

Meanwhile he did say it helped to play in those early afternoon conditions on CC (the journalist asked if that could help by Sunday, for instance) and he also just said it was the tournament's decision when asked about the QF day scheduling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts