Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that marat and andy won, what are the scenarios on how one of them would get the seeded four for the us open with one more tournament next week? tnx

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Actually Hewitt could drop to fifth as well, although it is less likely. The problem with being seeded five of course, is that you will be drawn against one of Federer, Nadal or the other two in the quarter-finals.

Here is what each has to do this week to get a top 4 seed:

Hewitt: will be seeded top 4 if he makes the semis, or if he loses in the quarters and the final doesn't consist of Roddick beating Safin.

Roddick: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he reaches the final and loses to anybody but Safin. If he doesn't make the final, or loses to Safin there, he'll be seeded fifth.

Safin: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he is runner-up provided he doesn't lose to Roddick with Hewitt having reached semis; if Safin loses before the final he will only be seeded top 4 if Roddick fails to make the final.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
With Safin losing to Ginepri it's now very simple:
1) Hewitt is assured of a top 4 seed
2) the other top 4 seed goes to Roddick if he reaches the final, otherwise Safin gets it

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
jtipson said:
I was very confident that he wouldn't drop to No. 5 for the Open, but :woohoo: anyway!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
jtipson said:
2) the other top 4 seed goes to Roddick if he reaches the final, otherwise Safin gets it
Does next weeks tournament change anything because I heard Marat has entered as a wildcard?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
nkhera1 said:
Does next weeks tournament change anything because I heard Marat at entered as a wildcard?
No apparently, Safin :crying2:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I love how you work these scenarious out!:D

jtipson said:
Actually Hewitt could drop to fifth as well, although it is less likely. The problem with being seeded five of course, is that you will be drawn against one of Federer, Nadal or the other two in the quarter-finals.

Hewitt: will be seeded top 4 if he makes the semis, or if he loses in the quarters and the final doesn't consist of Roddick beating Safin.

Roddick: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he reaches the final and loses to anybody but Safin. If he doesn't make the final, or loses to Safin there, he'll be seeded fifth.

Safin: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he is runner-up provided he doesn't lose to Roddick with Hewitt having reached semis; if Safin loses before the final he will only be seeded top 4 if Roddick fails to make the final.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
jtipson said:

I have a question for you, what if Roddick wins by defeating Ginepri?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
oneandonlyhsn said:
I have a question for you, what if Roddick wins by defeating Ginepri?
Now that Safin is out, Roddick just needs to get to the final. Doesn't matter who he plays or whether he beats them.

BTW I know you didn't ask this, but if Ginepri were to win the title, he would get seeded at the USO.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Is it possible for Roddick to get the number 3 seed ahead of Hewitt and if so what would he have to do?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
nkhera1 said:
Does next weeks tournament change anything because I heard Marat has entered as a wildcard?
No it doesn't, as seedings for an event are made according to the entry ranking of the week prior to the event- meaning Monday's (August 22nd) ranking in this case.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts

Thanks for this!

·
Registered
14 Posts
roddick will be number 4 at us open.he loses 50 not 120 points.atp confirms this.olympics from last year confused this situation.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
tennisnut said:
roddick will be number 4 at us open.he loses 50 not 120 points.atp confirms this.olympics from last year confused this situation.
But Andy didn't have enough points from the olympics for it to matter, did he? I don't understand. I trust Bob Larson, he's usually spot on with the rankings possibilities and whatnot and he says Andy has to make the final. It drove me nuts to hear PMac and Cliff tonight say about 15 times that winning the QF would put Andy #4.

Does anyone know whats going on? :lol:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
So andy is a top 4 seed for sure now right?

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
The #3 and 4 seed are the same. In either case he draws one of Roger/Rafa for the semifinal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts