Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of people, I was shocked to read of the move back to Eastbourne in 2017. It means that tennis above challenger level in the UK is confined to a tiny area of the South East of England. For me and other disabled fans it means the loss of the only fully wheelchair accessible tournament in this country.

It seems that at least part of the reason is that the Eastbourne WTA tournament lost money last year and needs to be boosted by ATP fans to make it viable. To me that implied the influence of
money men' over the needs of the sport.

A few days ago I read a FB post by Udomchoke saying that the Players' Council fought hard to keep it in Nottingham with only Wawrinka being in favour of the move but Kermode over ruled them. It seems that the players don't like joint tournaments and fought against the creation of another one.

I contacted another member of the Players' Council who confirmed this and added that Wimbledon and the LTA are pushing for the move. I understand the LTA wanting to keep the WTA tournament viable but what has it got to do with Wimbledon.

It is about money, I think, but it feels as if power is being used wrongly and unfairly does anyone know anything?

I also wonder whether Murray's comments about equal prize money and equality might play a part.

I am not into conspiracy theories, just trying to work it out. Does anyone know anything!

·
Registered
87 Posts
What a shame! As a Baggy fan, I know he loves Nottingham and plays really good tennis here. I followed the event when it was a Challenger in 2014, and I was hooked instantly. Fast surface, always good crowds watching, and the facilities seem top notch. I watched last year's tournament all the way to the semis until Marcos retired hurt, and it was awesome.

Even though I'm in Australia, I love these smaller tournaments and I also have someone very close to me who is disabled so I understand the issues with getting to tournaments and I'm all for keeping not just a great tournament, but one which is accessible for all people.

I think you should start an online petition, I for one will be more than happy to sign it and so would others. You'll be surprised how change can occur so quickly with a simple petition.

Good luck and I hope the decision gets reversed. :)

P.S. Why the heck would Wawrinka have a say in this, his not even a Brit and I highly doubt he'll play Nottingham anyway. You're better off asking local players and players like Baghdatis who have come many times before and others who come often!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was there yesterday and the day before and asked around to see if anyone had any more information. They didn't seem to know much. It's a fabulous tournament and only an hour away from where I live. As you pointed out, it has excellent facilities for all. The plan is to combine the ATP Challenger and WTA event and squash it into one week next year. Baggy does indeed love it and I was lucky enough to see him play both days. I'll certainly sign a petition if 1 is organised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts