Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Match of the dueling breadsticks!

First set: McGee too strong for Tiafoe, who looked a bit lost.
Second set: Tiafoe too strong for McGee, who looked a bit lost. (At one point McGee got one of his breaks back, only to immediately return it. To love. With a DF on BP.)
Third set: Closer. But McGee broke at 3-2*, and although Tiafoe had one chance to reclaim it, he couldn't convert. (McGee really stepped things up in his last two service games. Painting the lines beautifully.)

Still a strong week for Tiafoe, who will take his ranking from a career-high #450 at the beginning of the week to the 380s on Monday (he was ranked 1100+ in January!)

As for McGee, he was a career-high #169 at the start of the week, and continues to play good tennis. Things are looking cheery! He'll play Chung or Fratangelo in the final (Chung is currently a set up). Until this month McGee had never been in a Challenger final - now he's in his second. We'll see if he can pick up his first Challenger title!

Reactions: Yolita

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Awful match. Tiafoe is great but he needs to work on tactical side of things and stop taking stuff stupidly. Congrats to McGee. Fully deserved.

This SF still leaves Tiafoe on course for the RG wildcard. With any luck he should win it. Deserves it.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
So nice to see James doing so well :)

I like Chung but I hope James can get his first title tomorrow

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So nice to see James doing so well :)

I like Chung but I hope James can get his first title tomorrow
I like Chung too, and whatever happens tomorrow I'll be truly delighted for the winner.

But yes, I'm rooting for James all the way. Chung has serious potential and will have many chances to win titles in future. Chances are a lot rarer and more precious for James.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
I like Chung too, and whatever happens tomorrow I'll be truly delighted for the winner.

But yes, I'm rooting for James all the way. Chung has serious potential and will have many chances to win titles in future. Chances are a lot rarer and more precious for James.
You seem like someone who keeps a real close eye on tennis at all levels. Would you agree that there are a lot of players around Chung's age who have "serious potential"?

Who do you think these players are?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You seem like someone who keeps a real close eye on tennis at all levels. Would you agree that there are a lot of players around Chung's age who have "serious potential"?

Who do you think these players are?
I watch tennis at all levels, if there are streams, and really enjoy watching youngsters. I'm not in any ways professional about it, though - just an amateur - and as Juniors are rarely streamed, I don't get a chance to see juniors very often.

From my incomplete viewpoint, I'm particularly excited to see what Chung and Kozlov do on the tour. I've also liked the little I've seen of Jasika. Ymer I like on a personal level, and he did an excellent job of qualifying for the USO, but I know he has maturing to do. So does Tiafoe.

Who else? Oh, Nishioka is another good teen, but he's a) 19 already and b) not having the greatest of years so far apart from Delray Beach. And then Mmoh I want to see do well but haven't seen enough of to judge, really.

Then Rublev and Zverev, of course. And Coric on the main tour already.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
OK, thanks for that.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding exposure to junior tennis. I expected a lot more of Quinzi by this point, but he's still young.

Let's face it; they're all gonna get mugged by Aliassime anyway. :cool:

Kozlov looks so natural and easy, but where are his weapons?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Isn't McGee the guy that made the main draw at last year's US Open and lost in the first round? I think Jeff Salzy may be coaching him part time. Good going for him.

Harry

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't McGee the guy that made the main draw at last year's US Open and lost in the first round? I think Jeff Salzy may be coaching him part time. Good going for him.

Harry
Yes, he's the one you're thinking of. He doesn't have the chops to challenge on the main tour, really, but he's a super super nice guy and I've been following him for years. So it's great to see him having success. :)

·
MONSOON season.
81,979 Posts
I'm so happy for James :woohoo: I don't think he is cut out to make the Top 100 but he is getting closer and closer nonetheless. There are very few players on tour who are more likable than him and more grateful to be out there. His game is enjoyable to watch as well. He has improved so much too since I first saw him, quite a few years ago.

I am afraid Chung will be too solid. I expect something similar as in his SF against Fratangelo today, but hopefully with a closer scoreline. But I hope James keeps surprising me :woohoo:

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
Yes!

You may be the deciding set GOAT but if you play James McGee you are doomed.

Watch out, Kei!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Didn't he end up with food poisoning? I'm not saying he'd have won, but it's a bit of a shame if he wasn't able to play his best.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts