Mens Tennis Forums banner

Saturday LIVE SF Scores

3K views 97 replies 15 participants last post by  TheBoiledEgg 
#1 ·
Ferrero v. Moya coming up on Center Court

#77 ·
I'll tell you this, proteus. Hewitt or Gonzalez will have to be on the top of the ball the whole time to beat Moya. Moya's getting everything back, he won 100% of his net approaches (17 of 17), so they will have to bring it all to take him out.

Moya was playing too well for me to be angry at him for beating my boy. Another one of those destiny wins, I guess :) I think Moya has a good chance to take this thing home.

#78 ·
I told Becca yesterday that if the Juan Carlos of the quarters and the Carlos Moya of the quarters were to play, Ferrero would win.
What happened, though, is that Moya stepped up and Ferrero stepped back. Those things that always happen and make our sport exciting.

Therefor, if the Carlos Moya of the semis shows up for the final, it will be hard to take it all from him. Very hard. If the "Careless" Moya, like Eggy said, comes back, then he can very well lose to either Hewitt or the big-hitter Gonzalez.

Fernando is a power machine. He hits the crap out of the ball every single shot. He is learning some new tricks, but thats what his game is based on. He can be a great player, but since he risks it a lot, its not out of question that he can make a ton of UE if hes not on a good day.

#79 ·
hitman said:

You keep your first serve in and deep. And you try variating your serve. If your opponent keeps on hitting return winners, then its all his merit;
Juanqui went for it on ALL the serves in that game. You cant do that. Thats what I meant. :)

Dont get me wrong, Ferrero surprised me this week. He corrected his major fault on hard courts, his positioning. Today, though, things were not good and he went back to the wrong one. It happens. The tournament should leave great expectations about his UsOpen performance.
Carlos played too good today. :)
But what I'm saying is, Ferrero felt trapped on his serve. He'd go hard to the forehand or backhand and get burned. His second serve would spin in and he'd get burned. He was still thinking about those amazing shots Carlos hit when he served his last game. It was too much and he unravelled.

And, when you're getting burned, you go back the way you always play, even if its wrong. :)

I think Juan Carlos should get through some rounds at the Open and they wil all be thrilling. But what's most important here is that he has a nice cushion of points so Roddick can't pass him before the Open :D

#82 ·
I dont wanna act like a broken disk, so please let me know if Im being one... :eek:

I agree with you, TH. He was indeed desperate and out of solution. BUT he was on that road before and he was a lot smarter. Did he try any kick serve, to get a high bounce back there and make Moya hit it on his unconfortable zone? I dont remember that happening. It was a bad day, Moya was hot and he didnt find a solution. And then he went for aces on despair. Imo, thats not the good solution, unless you are a Taylor Dent, a Goran Ivanisevic or a Pete Sampras.
:)

And about his chances on the Open, Im really curious to see his draw. If he can get some fair opponents for the first two rounds, he will build confidence and then everything can happen. I would love to see a spaniard winning that thing or getting to the second week. Just for the obvious reason, you know... ;)

#84 ·
hitman said:
I agree with you, TH. He was indeed desperate and out of solution. BUT he was on that road before and he was a lot smarter. Did he try any kick serve, to get a high bounce back there and make Moya hit it on his unconfortable zone? I dont remember that happening. It was a bad day, Moya was hot and he didnt find a solution. And then he went for aces on despair. Imo, thats not the good solution, unless you are a Taylor Dent, a Goran Ivanisevic or a Pete Sampras.
:)
I'm not disagreeing with you, hitman. I'm just saying I sat here and watched it and that's what I saw. Juan Carlos made some bad decisions, but I'm pretty sure he felt he had no choice.

And about his chances on the Open, Im really curious to see his draw. If he can get some fair opponents for the first two rounds, he will build confidence and then everything can happen. I would love to see a spaniard winning that thing or getting to the second week. Just for the obvious reason, you know... ;)
Well, he should be the #7 seed at the Open, but I'm not sure that will help. I'd be stoked if he made it to the second week, but I'm not going to kid myself about it either. His best result was his first year out, making it to the R16 (or was that his second year?). He's resting next week and training the week before the open, so I hope he can take some confidence in and of course I hope he gets a nice draw. I just wish his exit here in Cincinnati wasn't so deflating.

#87 ·
Thaks all for your commentary. Have just come in & could have gone straight to the end (& the result), but it was more fun reading it all.
Anyway, I'm in the minority being happy that Carlos is playing well and that he revenged his MC loss agains JC.
Hope he keeps up the high standard into the final.
Don't know about his performances in the Open, though do remember 2 yrs ago arriving in NY from Europe & watching his 1st 2 sets vs Todd Martin. At 2 sets up & after midnight I was too tired & slept, only to find the next morning that the Umpire called al the spectaors down to the front seats & Todd won the next 3 sets!
Of course, he did get to the final at the AO on a hard court, though the rebound ace isn't quite the same surface as the uS hard courts.

#88 ·
Now it's Juan Carlos' turn! He can't beat his fellow Spaniards now.:eek:

#89 ·
Good point Pea! He even lost to David Sanchez! :eek: Not to mention Albert and Alex. And it always seems to happen when he is on a roll. This used to be Alex's problem. I hope Juanqui gets over it, if it is a problem. :(

#97 ·
Maybe Hewitt should have gone to the bathroom and Gonzalez get a back massage. ;)

oh well :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.