Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will you get the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine if/ when it becomes available?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the vaccine in question is theoretical right now, we know its development and testing is being pushed and rushed like no other vaccine in history. A simple yes or no question - will you get it of/when it comes available?

Feel free to share your reasons why or why not. Discussion that lead to issues around other vaccinations are fine as well. This topic obviously can be controversial and get emotional, lets do our best to have a good discussion and reasonable debate. Getting overly hostile will probably not change anyone's mind or be fruitful in anyway. You are free to pass on this thread.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I will not be an early adopter, that's for sure, but I might take it once safety (at least short-medium term) and effectivity are established. I will have to think about it when time's up.
Do you think a vaccine is like a video game? Oh, let's release the alpha version of the vaccine, see how people like it, maybe give us input on what to improve. NO. If a vaccine is approved and released on the market, it will be as safe and effective as possible. People's lives are at stake.
The answer to OP's question is YES.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
All people should be mandated to take proven vaccines for these rampant viruses while necessary, like it or not. Of course early adopters, testers of a new vaccine should consider themselves heroic volunteers.

Vaccinations protect global populations as a whole, even if someone is one of the extremely few that may get an adverse reaction.

Anti-vaccination wackos should have known or been a child with an infectious disease like poliovirus or smallpox and then they might think differently.

Imagine being the parent of a child who got something like polio or smallpox because you refused the vaccine for them, and then the child later tearfully asks you, "Daddy, why didn't you give me the vaccine?"...

...that is, if the child is still able to ask.

I am extremely happy I got my smallpox and polio vaccinations.

Responsibly,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Do you think a vaccine is like a video game? Oh, let's release the alpha version of the vaccine, see how people like it, maybe give us input on what to improve. NO. If a vaccine is approved and released on the market, it will be as safe and effective as possible. People's lives are at stake.
LoL sure.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
All people should be mandated to take proven vaccines for these rampant viruses while necessary, like it or not. Of course early adopters, testers of a new vaccine should consider themselves heroic volunteers.

Vaccinations protect global populations as a whole, even if someone is one of the extremely few that may get an adverse reaction.

Anti-vaccination wackos should have known or been a child with an infectious disease like poliovirus or smallpox and then they might think differently.

Imagine being the parent of a child who got something like polio or smallpox because you refused the vaccine for them, and then the child later tearfully asks you, "Daddy, why didn't you give me the vaccine?"...

...that is, if the child is still able to ask.

I am extremely happy I got my smallpox and polio vaccinations.

Responsibly,
masterclass
What a pile of idiotic demagogery for the illiterate masses, I guess that's the type of ppl you're used to interact with...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
No, I definitely won't. But to show what I think of this particular vaccine I will renew my overdue tetanus vaccination instead for the maximum amount of trolling.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will not be an early adopter, that's for sure, but I might take it once safety (at least short-medium term) and effectivity are established. I will have to think about it when time's up.
A very reasonable position.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I don't mind the tried and true vaccines (smallpox, polio, measles, etc.), but I don't think I'm going to willingly take a vaccine against covid-19 when it comes out. Perhaps 10 years after the fact, if Sars-Cov-2 is still around and the vaccine is stable.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
No, it will be as fast as possible and as safe and effective as necessary. How safe a vaccine really is can only be seen when it is in use due to the low probabilities of possible side effects.

Even a vaccine that has a 1 in 10,000 probability of causing severe side effects, which means 5,000 cases of severe side effects applied to a medium-sized country of 50,000,000 people, is more likely than not to pass a control group of 5,000 without any abnormalities at all.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
Yes of course I’ll definitely get it, because I feel that a vaccine will only be available when it’s perfectly safe to use and even if there is a 0.001% or whatever of some sort of side effect, I think it’s still a better option than having the possibility of getting the disease itself and being a threat to not just to my health but others around me.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
That said, while any talk about a vaccine against Sars-2 is basically entirely hypothetical (we don't even know whether there will be one at all), the only thing we really know about the possible vaccine itself is, that the time its development will take makes it pointless to evolve any strategy on its hypothetical existence.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That said, while any talk about a vaccine against Sars-2 is basically entirely hypothetical (we don't even know whether there will be one at all), the only thing we really know about the possible vaccine itself is, that the time its development will take makes it pointless to evolve any strategy on its hypothetical existence.
Bingo!!

·
RAVE ON
18,508 Posts
Yes of course I’ll definitely get it, because I feel that a vaccine will only be available when it’s perfectly safe to use and even if there is a 0.001% or whatever of some sort of side effect, I think it’s still a better option than having the possibility of getting the disease itself and being a threat to not just to my health but others around me.
Bingo!!

·
RAVE ON
18,508 Posts
Would you have said the same about development of a polio vaccine?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This has nothing to do with polio. I notice that this is always the talking point around vaccines - polio and small pox. This does not contribute at all to any of the relevant questions surrounding a possible cv vaccine or any other issues with today’s schedule or harmful ingredients.

·
RAVE ON
18,508 Posts
This has nothing to do with polio. I notice that this is always the talking point around vaccines - polio and small pox. This does not contribute at all to any of the relevant questions surrounding a possible cv vaccine or any other issues with today’s schedule or harmful ingredients.
Maybe people should learn from their mistakes.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Around ten thousand years ago some people were afraid to leave their caves to get some food because of polio. Unfortunately they are extinct now because of improper chance-risk-management.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts