Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Djokovic weeks at number are growing up to 289 weeks (7th may) and his lead over Nadal increases from 315 to 955 ranking points difference, his match wins run was interrupted and got robbed from another sunshine double and two masters 1000 titles as was Nadal. Two BIG TITLES increase opportunities missed.

Federer got extremely lucky to get his recovery during this time span when everything is cancelled. Maybe he calculated it wisely or counted on something like that in February. Or he was simply scared himself and did not want to get ill by many fans who touch him or indirect trough signing stuff or every other staff and business contacts he had to meet.

Federer was lucky and blessed practically through his entire career for never being seriously injured and now for this incidence where Djodal get older and got cut-off from playing when they were in a good form and therefore prevented from winning even more titles on hardcourt and clay. I really hope that the Suisse does not win any title this year. May Djokovic and Nadal wipe the rest of the season post-Corona as they did pre-Corona.

And I really hope that the Grand Slam tournaments will be held with or without fans. The Golden Slam and history is at stake.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,631 Posts
ZzzzzzzZzzz, another conspiracy thread where there are subtle hints of Fed creating Coronavirus

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZzzzzzzZzzz, another conspiracy thread where there are subtle hints of Fed creating Coronavirus
Subtle hints of Fed creating Coronavirus ? Is that supposed to be funny ? What kind of infantile joke post is this ? Please be serious.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maybe he calculated it wisely or counted on something like that in February.
Federer is a smart and pleasant guy and his wife is very intelligent albeit ugly. So we can not exclude his/their decision was based on a far-sighted calculation.

Federer was lucky and blessed practically through his entire career for never being seriously injured
We could also presume that he has trained better than his main rivals or that his playing style is smoother: those factors could explain why he has been less prone to get injured.
However, in some occasions he got injured (or ill) and payed a price: for instance, we can't rule out the possibility that his loss to Nadal at W08 was also due to the aftermath of mononucleosis. In 2018 back pain ruined his season after W win.

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts
Who the fuck cares about insignificant things like a tennis player's legacy in times like this?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who the fuck cares about insignificant things like a tennis player's legacy in times like this?
This is a tennis forum, not a health or politics forum. We care about important things like a tennis player's legacy as you did all the time I guess regarding Federer.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts
This is a tennis forum, not a health or politics forum. We care about important things like a tennis player's legacy as you did all the time I guess regarding Federer.
I don't know about other Federer fans, but if I had to make a choice of Covid 19 completely vanishing tomorrow but Federer's 20 slams taken away from him, I make that choice in a heartbeat.

Some things are more important than tennis and tennis records. But I suppose for people like you who live vicariously through the life of your favourite player, Djokovic's legacy matters a lot to you.

·
Your visions will happen
50,906 Posts
I personally am freezing weeks at #1 in my all time stats, this is similar to Don Budge being #1 in WW2, the weeks do not count

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know about other Federer fans, but if I had to make a choice of Covid 19 completely vanishing tomorrow but Federer's 20 slams taken away from him, I make that choice in a heartbeat.

Some things are more important than tennis and tennis records. But I suppose for people like you who live vicariously through the life of your favourite player, Djokovic's legacy matters a lot to you.
Of course there are more important things than tennis and tennis records. But we do not discuss them here. Do you understand me now ?

And I have the right to live my life vicariously trough my favourite player. That is my personal choice and yes it matters a lot to me. I believe in God as he does and in justice, also tennis-wise. Thats why Wimbledon 2019 and many other situations were a divine experience for me.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally am freezing weeks at #1 in my all time stats, this is similar to Dun Budge being #1 in WW2, the weeks do not count
I understand you approach and decision but it could be automatically unfair to Djokovic. He was on a run, prepared, healthy and so on. He lost the YE1 three times after a close battle in 2013 against Nadal, in 2016 against Murray and last year. Means many many bonus post season weeks at number one lost.

·
Your visions will happen
50,906 Posts
I understand you approach and decision but it could be automatically unfair to Djokovic. He was on a run, prepared, healthy and so on. He lost the YE1 three times after a close battle in 2013 against Nadal, in 2016 against Murray and last year. Means many many bonus post season weeks at number one lost.
Well those are all his own fault. He could have easily won those few extra matches in each of those years to seal the deal and get those "free" weeks at the end of the season. But those weeks are earned through the entire season. It is a reward for being YE #1, a stat I still find to be very important.

This situation is a stoppage of play due to the plague. We cannot just pretend this isn't happening

·
Registered
443 Posts
Who cares about weeks at no.1? Year end no.1 is all that matters as every pro player attests to. In fairness to Djokovic he suffers more than Nadal as he has missed the chance of 2000 points on his best surface. So if Nadal gets YE1, and he looks certain to now, it will not have the same resonance.

Nadal and Djokovic are the two greatest to play the game. It is a shame what was building into a classic year long battle between them has been spoilt by outside events.

Legacy wise though, there is no impact. Federer is considered behind both by most people and he is done winning Majors now as his last one was over 2 years ago, so the damage to legacies is minimal.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I personally am freezing weeks at #1 in my all time stats, this is similar to Don Budge being #1 in WW2, the weeks do not count
For me, there should a freezing in the ranking too. Fair and square for everyone. This is an uncommon situation. The nature of tennis having different surfaces back me up here.

All players should be able to "defend" (get back) their points in their favourite surface / tourney where they usually do well. Isner did well gained 600 in miami that he won't have the chance to recover if RG takes place (for an example). - his seeding will change -

If we are talking about history, agreeing with Johnny , even more . At this point this great rivalry cannot allow any asterisk .

Freeze it

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
And I really hope that the Grand Slam tournaments will be held with or without fans. The Golden Slam and history is at stake.
How do the players travel with a travel ban? Quarantine measures? Would they feel safe to travel?

Reactions: hammett
1 - 20 of 27 Posts