Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As expected, Tiafoe won this in straight sets. There were a couple of breaks in the 2nd but Tiafoe always looked like the better player. He struggled a bit with his fitness as the match went on and he looked exhausted towards the end but he moved up a gear to win the tiebreak 7-0.

There's a lot to like about Tiafoe. His serve looks like it will develop into a big weapon, he moves well and is willing to come to the net. He has a good build for tennis and he's clearly going to be a powerful player as he gets older.

Mmoh didn't impress me that much. His serve isn't as good as Tiafoe's and his game is a lot wilder. Seeing Tiafoe visibly exhausted in the 2nd, he should have kept the ball in court more, made him run for more balls and push him to a 3rd set but he didn't have the ability to do that.

·
Your visions will happen
50,002 Posts
Tiafoe is really a beast man, he will be a champion

Mmoh is also a very good player but not as far along in his development. He also has chances to be great

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Tiafoe is really a beast man, he will be a champion

Mmoh is also a very good player but not as far along in his development. He also has chances to be great
:superlol:

Tiafoe, future tennis player
Mmoh, future journeyman

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Mmoh didn't impress me that much. His serve isn't as good as Tiafoe's and his game is a lot wilder. Seeing Tiafoe visibly exhausted in the 2nd, he should have kept the ball in court more, made him run for more balls and push him to a 3rd set but he didn't have the ability to do that.
shocking really

guy couldnt find a passing shot to save his life on Tiafoe´s half arsed approaches and kept making easy lobs to be smashed

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
:superlol:

Tiafoe, future tennis player
Mmoh, future journeyman
define journeyman. You think Mmoh will bounce around 70-150 in his career?

·
Your visions will happen
50,002 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
That was really low level tennis. Tiafoe was exhausted and a relatively good player could have beaten him.

Tiafoe mostly using kick serves on 1st and 2nd serve. He was really confident, and it was obvious he didn't think Mmoh was a threat.

His kick serve is alright, flat serve is pretty fast. No real consistency yet. But it's good for his age.

Forehand is ugly but effective. He got all the groundstrokes and a solid feel at the net. Great overheads, and his dropshot is worldclass.

I won't judge his fitness because he had 4 matches in 4 days but his attitude is terrible. Tanking that one game to get his shirt changed, yelling and throwing his racket. :lol: He's still 17 though, so he has time to grow up.
Also, his shot selection is pretty bad. Reminds me of Dolgopolov at times.
He couldn't beat a top200 today, but again, 4 wins in 4 days.

Baby steps. It's always good when a young gun wins, but he needs a major attitude adjustment or he'll have more haters than Nadal. I started watching the match cheering for Tiafoe, ended up cheering for Mmoh.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was really low level tennis. Tiafoe was exhausted and a relatively good player could have beaten him.

Tiafoe mostly using kick serves on 1st and 2nd serve. He was really confident, and it was obvious he didn't think Mmoh was a threat.

His kick serve is alright, flat serve is pretty fast. No real consistency yet. But it's good for his age.

Forehand is ugly but effective. He got all the groundstrokes and a solid feel at the net. Great overheads, and his dropshot is worldclass.

I won't judge his fitness because he had 4 matches in 4 days but his attitude is terrible. Tanking that one game to get his shirt changed, yelling and throwing his racket. :lol: He's still 17 though, so he has time to grow up.
Also, his shot selection is pretty bad. Reminds me of Dolgopolov at times.
He couldn't beat a top200 today, but again, 4 wins in 4 days.

Baby steps. It's always good when a young gun wins, but he needs a major attitude adjustment or he'll have more haters than Nadal. I started watching the match cheering for Tiafoe, ended up cheering for Mmoh.
I didn't mind his attitude, especially given his age but he did seem to over-exaggerate his tiredness and he played up to the crowd a bit, raising his arms in triumph when he hit some winners that weren't that amazing. The commentator made the point that crowds would either love him or hate him but he strikes me as more cocky than a brat. I've seen him play a few times and it's clear he still has a lot of growing up to do (he behaved worse when he lost to Halys in the US Open Boys SF). There's a lot to like about him though and I hope he works a bit on his attitude.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Francis :yeah:

·
Bring it Home
20,649 Posts
As expected, Tiafoe won this in straight sets. There were a couple of breaks in the 2nd but Tiafoe always looked like the better player. He struggled a bit with his fitness as the match went on and he looked exhausted towards the end but he moved up a gear to win the tiebreak 7-0.

There's a lot to like about Tiafoe. His serve looks like it will develop into a big weapon, he moves well and is willing to come to the net. He has a good build for tennis and he's clearly going to be a powerful player as he gets older.

Do you like Tiafoe?

So you finally going to share a favorite player with ProdigyEng. :worship:

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Good work Francis. Saw some bits of the match on replay, ugly Tennis from both but what's to be expected when two juniors are on court?

Tiafoe does need to improve his attitude though.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
I didn't mind his attitude, especially given his age but he did seem to over-exaggerate his tiredness and he played up to the crowd a bit, raising his arms in triumph when he hit some winners that weren't that amazing. The commentator made the point that crowds would either love him or hate him but he strikes me as more cocky than a brat. I've seen him play a few times and it's clear he still has a lot of growing up to do (he behaved worse when he lost to Halys in the US Open Boys SF). There's a lot to like about him though and I hope he works a bit on his attitude.
Also, blatantly tanked the last two points during 1-1 in the 2nd set. I think he tanked a set in the Orange Bowl. I don't like that, especially for a kid of his age.
And at times it looked like he was teasing Mmoh with some drop shots and clowning with an easy put away.

That mixed with an ugly serve and forehand motion put me off definitely. But he's got great potential. There's no doubting that.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Just a note, y'all - it's Frances, not Francis.

From the linked article - "One of Syed’s first moves as Tiafoe’s agent was to correct the spelling of his first name. Media, tournaments and official tennis Web sites have spelled his given name “Francis” for years. Apparently his name was misspelled on an entry form early in his career and no one bothered to correct the mistake."

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Frances :worship: :bounce:

Mike :hug: :sad:

Tough lost for Mike, hate that these two had to play so early, But Happy Tiafoe won as well, keep it up Frances

1 - 16 of 16 Posts