Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) Fabrice Santoro is rarely mentioned in the same breath with players such as Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Jimmy Connors.

At the Australian Open on Tuesday, the French journeyman surpassed them all -- at least in one statistic.

The 35-year-old Santoro broke Andre Agassi's record for most appearances at Grand Slam events in the Open era when he beat American John Isner in straight sets on Court 13 to kick off his 62nd major, including 38 in a row.

"The thing is when you look at the history of game and see all these champions, like Sampras, Agassi, before like Connors, who had a huge and long career, all these past champion, (this is) the only point I'm a little bit in front of them," Santoro said.

:worship:

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Santoro breaks Grand Slam record

BTW, Santoro is a record holder in "the most tournament played" - Australian Open 2008 is his 404th tournament on the main level.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That is amazing. And playing two handed both sides of course means Fabrice has had to run more to reach balls. There are a lot of miles on those legs and yet they still keep going. The incredible thing is he is still playing to roughly the same standard he has played for the last 5 years. Right now there doesn't seem to be any reason Fab can't keep on going for a while more and add substantially to these records and put them completely out of reach. :yeah:

Reactions: tripb19

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Who has the record for most Grand Slams played consecutively? It's Hrbaty with how many??
And then who??
On the women's side, Sugiyama leads with 55 straight, edging out Likhovtseva who had 54 but missed AO 08.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who has the record for most Grand Slams played consecutively? It's Hrbaty with how many??
And then who??
Not Hrbaty, it's Wayne Ferreira with 56, second is Edberg - 54. Hrbaty played "only" 44 straight.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
On the women's side, Sugiyama leads with 55 straight, edging out Likhovtseva who had 54 but missed AO 08.
Well done to Sugiyama for getting knocked out in the first round 55 times straight.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Well done to Sugiyama for getting knocked out in the first round 55 times straight.
Actually Sugiyama WON her last straight 8 GS first round matches. Not saying that's great, but still.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
in certain ways, i admire, respect and like fabrice, over agassi and sampras.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Actually in those 55 Grand Slams Sugiyama has lost in the 1st round only 14 times.

I have to say this post of yours was neither clever funny or intelligent. In fact it was one of the most ignorant mean spirited ill-informed and pointless posts I have ever read in this forum and that is saying a lot. If this is representative of your contributions you are a very sad ignorant individual who has nothing to contribute.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
This record is not as important as his all time record of defeats :
406 :worship:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
:cuckoo:

Anyways, CONGRATS TO FABRICE!

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I like his modesty...I think his "most tournaments played"-record will be hard to beat.
20+ ATP level tournaments per year. For 20 years. You can't beat that without being injury free almost all of your career. Given the recent problems and injuries due to the tougher and more physical game, I will go out on a limp and say that it will stay for a long time maybe ever...

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Congrats Fabrice , I've always enjoyed watching him play very unique and he seems to having a lot of fun out there

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Not only did Sugiyama reach the Wimbledon '04 QF, but she very nearly took out eventual champion Maria Sharapova in a three-set epic. She's a tremendously fit and hard-working player, much like Santoro at age 35.

Even if he's not a great player or GS champion, it's an absolute testament to his game, his determination, and his health that he has been able to play that much at the top level of the sport!

One question about that statistic, though - is it just Grand Slam main draws? Or would a loss in qualifying count?

·
Registered
521 Posts
All decent players from the era of lions deserve a bow. That he reached GS QF only at 33 is irrefutable evidence that during his peak years, a strong field inhibited his progress. But he had no problem demolishing the chokers of today.

To prove his point further, he should demolish the transitional champ without any mercy. Its not going to be pretty for the fed obsessed trolls here. They are going to see their "hero" humiliated by the little master. Just can't wait!

PS: My only worry is the transitional champ got expert tuition from sampras in the far east and may try to use it to his advantage to fluke out a five set upset!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts