Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santiago Giraldo: "I was working well, but for many years the results didn't come"

Congratulations for the win, an important one because it’s your first against Murray, a top 10 player. How will this affect the way you play the rest of the tournament?

It feels me with confidence. I have always known that I was working well, but for many years the results didn’t come. Good things come to those who wait and I’m enjoying the moment, I’m filled with confidence and ready for what tomorrow will bring.

You could become the second Colombian to win an ATP title, what would that mean to you and for your career?

I’m proud of being a Colombian and I love to represent my country well, I think it’s important, not only for sport but also to demonstrate the our values as people and of course I’ll try my utmost to lift a trophy, or many trophies, and to bring joy to my country, both in sport and on a personal level.

[3.]You are known as a hard-court player, but now you’re becoming a favourite on clay too. What’s changed?

I think my game has progressed in a way that lends itself to playing on clay. I’m really fit and that also contributes because the rallies are very long and I can cope well with that. But I think it’s a little of everything, the team and the coaching staff I have are amazing and the people who accompany me give me maximum confidence.

You now meet Roberto Bautista Agut, how do you see the match?

He’s also having a good year. He’s playing solid tennis and he’s now in the quarters. It will be a difficult match. We’ll both be very motivated to play our best tennis. I am approaching it with respect and I’m confident I’ll play my best tennis in order to get through it.

What are your professional goals for this year?

In principle my goal is to be in the top 32 in order to be able to play the Grand Slams, then the top 20 and then top 15. The sky is the limit and I’m going to try and reach my best possible level of tennis.

lol at question number 3.:haha:

http://www.madrid-open.com/en/noticias-tenis-masculino/santiago-giraldo-el-cielo-es-el-limite/

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Re: Santiago Giraldo: "I was working well, but for many years the results didn't come

Why did he not just laugh at that question? Lol, yeah, great hard court player, with that 42% win percentage (52% clay, 45% grass)

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Re: Santiago Giraldo: "I was working well, but for many years the results didn't come

Such a top lad this Santiago Giraldo. Too nice to reverse the question on the interviewer by asking him if he even knows who he is..

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts

Good for the game

·
Registered
20,731 Posts

You are known as a hard-court player, but now you’re becoming a favourite on clay too. What’s changed?[/B]
Would this be the same Giraldo that lost in the UO to Berlocq, and tends to lose in R1 of most hc events he enters?

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

was the one who asked him this question the same poster on here who tried so hard to convince me that hard was giraldo's best surface?

·
Registered
21,396 Posts

Comparable to people who call Ferrer a clay courter :lol:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

Do you think Santiago Giraldo will win the US Open?

·
Registered
4,588 Posts

He is playing quite well during this clay season.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

Comparable to people who call Ferrer a clay courter :lol:
well he probably would be if not for the Nadal effect

I would imagine overall Ferrer's W-L percent is the best on dirt and if not for some of the insane competition from Nadal he would have a bunch of pretty decent clay court title wins (maybe even a slam!)

but with Geraldo and HC, I agree that is an odd thing for an interviewer to suggest

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts

In related news what's keeping Delbonis out of the top 10 is that the grass court season is too short

·
Banned
2,609 Posts

MTF had faith Santi :yeah:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

It's good that it has finally paid off for him. It must be frustrating when you know you have the talent and you put in the hard work yet things don't work out for whatever reason.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

translation: "i was ballbashing the same, but for many years the balls didnt happen to come in"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts