Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, didn's see that coming, I am exicted. Great match from Thiago, chokey at the end of 2nd set, which was to be understood, but stayed composed in 3rd. Great achievement. He's now 5th youngest active title winner after Nishikori, Nadal, Murray and Monfils and the first Brazilian to win the title since Guga maybe (I didn't check that, just guessing). I hope to see more of him next months, this forehand is lethal.

He finished the match like a boss with 2 aces + winner

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Very impressive week. He's got exactly the style I like to watch on clay, huge forehand and offensive play. Beating Londero, Garin (despite being injured) and Ruud back-to-back is very impressive, great result.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow, didn's see that coming, I am exicted. Great match from Thiago, chokey at the end of 2nd set, which was to be understood, but stayed composed in 3rd. Great achievement. He's now 5th youngest active title winner after Nishikori, Nadal, Murray and Monfils and the first Brazilian to win the title since Guga maybe (I didn't check that, just guessing). I hope to see more of him next months, this forehand is lethal.

He finished the match like a boss with 2 aces + winner
Wild is 20 in a few days. No way he was younger than Federer and Djokovic when they won their first titles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first player born in the 2000s to win an ATP title! Before Felix Auger Aliassime. I know Felix is a better player at this stage and play harder events but it's still very impressive. I'm excited to see how far Wild can go. His serve and forehand could become massive weapons and he has a nice tennis IQ.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wild is 20 in a few days. No way he was younger than Federer and Djokovic when they won their first titles.
Yup, could be, I was checking the facts on fast forward, so there could be something wrong. Still surely Top10 youngest active title holders.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Thiago Seyboth Wild is a real deal. He will be 113 tomorrow in the rankings. He will surely get a WC in Miami and why not in IW. Hopefully, he can get in the top 100 before the cut for RG. This kind of player needs to be in the main draw in RG. Except the few first games of the match, Thiago was the better player the whole match, putting a lot of pressure on Caspar who made too many unforced errors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thiago Seyboth Wild is a real deal. He will be 113 tomorrow in the rankings. He will surely get a WC in Miami and why not in IW. Hopefully, he can get in the top 100 before the cut for RG. This kind of player needs to be in the main draw in RG. Except the few first games of the match, Thiago was the better player the whole match, putting a lot of pressure on Caspar who made too many unforced errors.
yep I think he will get the Miami WC. One of their top sponsors is Itau (brazilian bank). He won the US open juniors title btw, so he is not a clay courter. With that serve and forehand he can do some serious damage in hard courts.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
yep I think he will get the Miami WC. One of their top sponsors is Itau (brazilian bank). He won the US open juniors title btw, so he is not a clay courter. With that serve and forehand he can do some serious damage in hard courts.
Sounds good to me. Last time I watched him on hard courts - he got bossed by Kwiatkowski. Perhaps off-day or something but it did not look good at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds good to me. Last time I watched him on hard courts - he got bossed by Kwiatkowski. Perhaps off-day or something but it did not look good at all.
No, it's alright. He is on that stage of his career where a breakthrough and quickly improvement happen. He also lost some matches to other low ranked players this year on clay. This experience of playing on ATP level 2 events in a row and seeing that those guys can be hurt by his game will give him a lot of new information. I'm not saying he is a future star like Felix or Sinner but I'd watch him closely this year and the next to see how fast he can improve. This is a smart player and he is not a choker as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Congratulations on his first title, he is showing for much fight, just like he did in Rio. Hopefully this translates to the clay swing as well - he is a bit passionate though like Shapovalov. May get a few disqualifications along his journey.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations on his first title, he is showing for much fight, just like he did in Rio. Hopefully this translates to the clay swing as well - he is a bit passionate though like Shapovalov. May get a few disqualifications along his journey.
I thought that he would get disqualified after he hit the ball in anger almost directly at a ballboy at 5-2 30-30 in 3rd set. Would be something new being disqualified two points away from your first title. Luckily for him the ref was lenient.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Yup, could be, I was checking the facts on fast forward, so there could be something wrong. Still surely Top10 youngest active title holders.
That okay. :)
Yep, top 10 I think (also Berdych, Gasquet, Cilic).
Younger than him:

Nishikori
Nadal
Murray
Nadal
Monfils
Gasquet
Djokovic
Robredo
Zverev
Federer
Rublev
Del Potro
De Minaur
Cilic

Berdych would be counted, but he officially retired. So not top-10, but still top-15 and in a very good company!

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
glad to see ruud finally pay the price for his elementary game. Just another forehand clone with terrible backhand.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well, yesterday I said in a thread that I thought he would be top 100 at the end of the year. I can confidently change that to the end of the clay season.

Seyboth Wild is a serious player and probably has the best clay court potential for the next 5 years behind only Thiem. Still young and without the best BH, but definitely can be a challenger for clay titles in the coming year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts