Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heared about his big win against Mark Philippoussis and thought he deserves his own thread. So here it is.

Groth's bio:

Birthdate: 19-Oct-87
Birthplace: Narrandera, Australia
Residence: Melbourne, Australia
Height: N/A
Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
Plays: Right-handed
Turned Pro: N/A
Coach: N/A

Current ATP Ranking - Singles: 342
Career High ATP Ranking - Singles: 341 (10-Dec-07)
Current ATP Race - Singles:
Current Stanford ATP Doubles Ranking: 296
Career High Stanford ATP Doubles Ranking: 296 (10-Dec-07)

And, if you want to see a video of him playing against Chris Guccione, here's the link:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_WyjYNKkOmc

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Sam has definately been the quiet achiever of the 07 season!!

And started this year off well with a win in the opening round of qualies at adelaide over Lukas Rosol, Ranked 272 and today plays 149th Oliver Marach of Austria!!

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
He lost to Marach 6-7(7) 6-4 6-1...good effort...

I reckon he'll be top 150-200 in the next 12 months
Aside from the obvious reasons, I enjoyed this match. Got the impression he is a good guy, and his serve was unbelievable. Even Oli said he just had to keep him on court to see if he would get tired [I guess to serve more like an average player :lol:].

Quite supportive of the other Aussies too, though I guess there isn't a whole lot to do in Adelaide at that time of year/in 40'C heat.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I heared about his big win against Mark Philippoussis and thought he deserves his own thread. So here it is.

Groth's bio:

Birthdate: 19-Oct-87
Birthplace: Narrandera, Australia
Residence: Melbourne, Australia
Height: N/A
Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
Plays: Right-handed
Turned Pro: N/A
Coach: N/A

Current ATP Ranking - Singles: 342
Career High ATP Ranking - Singles: 341 (10-Dec-07)
Current ATP Race - Singles:
Current Stanford ATP Doubles Ranking: 296
Career High Stanford ATP Doubles Ranking: 296 (10-Dec-07)

And, if you want to see a video of him playing against Chris Guccione, here's the link:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_WyjYNKkOmc
I really enjoyed watching that bennydee619. Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
:banana::eek: Sam Groth just defeated Janko Tipsarevic 7-6, 6-4 and will play either Martin Fischer or Fredrik Nielsen for a spot in the main draw.

·
Registered
535 Posts
And he has qualified for the main draw!
he won his final round 7-6 6-4...

Plays Jamie Baker (a wildcard) in the first round of the main draw...
A good draw IMO, with a win quite possible...regardless of the result he will have cracked the top 300 :)

And in doing so, he will become the 12th Aussie man to rank in the top 300, an obvious improvement in recent times...he is also one of 18 men in the top 400, looks like we are getting some depth back in men's tennis :cool:

Now for some more top 100 players...Sam can be one of them :armed:

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
defeats Baker in straights

round 2 versus Gilles Simon

anyone seen him play live? I know he's a great server, but what about his groundstrokes, volleying, movement etc. ?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
wow this is really surprising that Groth has qualified and won a MD match at ATP level usually Grothy is losing in QF of Futures this is a huge step up and lots of $$$ points and experience well done to him yay keep going

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, it was a good effort...he will be top 300 now. Hopefully he can sneak into the qualifying draw for a couple more ATP events in the US and give some of the bigger challengers a shake. Realistically, I think he can be top 200 by the end of the year, and that he should be given an Australian Open Wildcard...but that is a long way off yet

1 - 20 of 853 Posts