Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
He would have given Rafa headaches with his serve, yes. Even from the ground he would hold his own, which would likely be enough with his big serve backing it up.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Obviously. Why state the obvious?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Nadaltards will vote anyway NAdal in 3 sets if we made pool - just today his ROS was pathetic KYrgios had so many unreturnables that i was laughing - yes he is big server but Nadal´s ROS on grass is i think what make him so vulnerable on grass courts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
He would crush this Nadal, Nadal back in the day though would be a closer affair.

Anyway Nadal would more than crush Sampras at RG so it evens out.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
He would crush this Nadal, Nadal back in the day though would be a closer affair.

Anyway Nadal would more than crush Sampras at RG so it evens out.
not crush. The clay field was much more impressive in the 90s and Sampras beat some very good clay courters in his day (Kafelnikov, Bruguera, Courier)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
not crush. The clay field was much more impressive in the 90s and Sampras beat some very good clay courters in his day (Kafelnikov, Bruguera, Courier)
Sampras also lost to some total clowns on clay, while Nadal beat Federer on grass

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Sampras also lost to some total clowns on clay, while Nadal beat Federer on grass
I have a feeling his losses at RG were due to lack of preparation at RG and desire to do well at Wimbledon. The surface discrepancies at the time were also a factor. Nadal's good match-up against Federer should not be taken into account when considering his grass prowess.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Actually this isn't that obvious, i mean anyone really think Sampras would do what Rosol and Kyrgios did to Nadal from the baseline?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Pete FTW. Unyielding mental toughness and great serve vs. unyielding time-wasting and (to give credit) likewise great mental toughness and Johnny Mac's favorite volleys. Sampy takes it.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I've said this before. Nadull would never break Sampras' serve.
Thats pointless speculation. The greatest clay court player beat the the greatest grass court player in his prime. On his day Nadal will beat anyone. His decline is already in motion, but after 14 slams he is more than worthy of it.

Now who wants to bet by this time next year Nadal won't have more slams to his name than Sampras?

See when you put it like that, you get the reality check. After being in the last three slam finals and winning two of them. I'd say Nadals allowed to lose some.

Be more concerned about the choker, stuck at 6 slams and only a year younger than the will to win.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Exactly Nadal made 5 Wimbledon finals and won two of them. How many French open finals did Sampras make and win. END OF DISCUSSION JOKERS.

Oh I know it hurts that soon the Greek one will be relegated to number three alltime in slams. Learn to live with it.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Exactly Nadals made 5 Wimbledon finals and won two of them. How many French open finals did Sampras make and win. END OF DISCUSSION JOKERS.

Oh I know it hurts that soon the Greek one will be relegated to number three alltime in slams. Learn to live with it.
Except we are talking about grass here :rolleyes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm not so sure...

See, Pete served and vollyed, he was never that great from the back of the court(yes he was plenty good, that running forehand was a thing of beauty)....

I'm not so sure you can do that with today's racquets and today's grass...

Kyrgios/Rosol/Soderling all have powerful 2HBHs, whereas Pete's one hander he basically used to setup the point or rally with....

We know what Rafa's record against OHBH....

Of course he had the best first & second serves in history, so he likely wouldn't get broken, but if it goes tiebreaks, it may be a lottery...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts