Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Surprised no one started a GM thread about this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-sanjose-sampras&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sampras to face Safin in exhibition in San Jose
January 31, 2008

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Pete Sampras will face former world No. 1 player Marat Safin in an exhibition during the SAP Open on Feb. 18.

Safin was granted a wild-card entry into the tournament Thursday. He will start his week by playing the exhibition against Sampras in a rematch of the 2000 U.S. Open final won by Safin in straight sets. Safin has won four of his seven career matches against Sampras.

Sampras, who retired after winning his record 14th major singles title at the 2002 U.S. Open, spent the past two summers playing in World Team Tennis events and participated on a limited basis this year on the senior circuit formed by former rival Jim Courier.

Sampras played a series of exhibition matches against Roger Federer late last year, winning the final of the three matches. Sampras will play Federer again at Madison Square Garden in New York on March 10.

Safin will play in San Jose for the second straight year. He lost in the quarterfinals last year to Benjamin Becker of Germany.

Updated on Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 6:51 pm, EST

Also: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/01/31/sports/TEN-San-Jose-Sampras.php

·
Registered
24,804 Posts
Re: Sampras to play Safin in San Jose exhibition match

thanks, i hope pete will win :wavey:

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

Surprised no one started a GM thread about this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-sanjose-sampras&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sampras to face Safin in exhibition in San Jose
January 31, 2008

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Pete Sampras will face former world No. 1 player Marat Safin in an exhibition during the SAP Open on Feb. 18.

Safin was granted a wild-card entry into the tournament Thursday. He will start his week by playing the exhibition against Sampras in a rematch of the 2000 U.S. Open final won by Safin in straight sets. Safin has won four of his seven career matches against Sampras.

Sampras, who retired after winning his record 14th major singles title at the 2002 U.S. Open, spent the past two summers playing in World Team Tennis events and participated on a limited basis this year on the senior circuit formed by former rival Jim Courier.

Sampras played a series of exhibition matches against Roger Federer late last year, winning the final of the three matches. Sampras will play Federer again at Madison Square Garden in New York on March 10.

Safin will play in San Jose for the second straight year. He lost in the quarterfinals last year to Benjamin Becker of Germany.

Updated on Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 6:51 pm, EST

Also: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/01/31/sports/TEN-San-Jose-Sampras.php
Rematch. LOL

·
Registered
13,155 Posts

Cant wait.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts

Why does a legend like Pete bother playing someone average like Safin? :confused:

:eek: :angel: :D

·
Registered
7,424 Posts

I live in San Jose. :eek:

Reactions: Verd

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

lolol THANK GOD NOW I CAN SEE SOME SLICES AND SERVE AND VOLLEY WHICH IS SO ABSENT FROM THE DEPTH LESS SHADOW OF A MENS TENNIS GAME WE HAVE NOW LOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
453 Posts

average safin? clown he was beating pete when he was winning grandslams.
I hope safin kicks pete ass of the court, what one win against fed he can beat anyone now bah...fed was a idiot for taking him lightly.
Who's next Hewitt and we know Hewitt own Pete's ass.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Safin is the most beautiful man that walked this planet.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

average safin? clown he was beating pete when he was winning grandslams.
I hope safin kicks pete ass of the court, what one win against fed he can beat anyone now bah...fed was a idiot for taking him lightly.
Who's next Hewitt and we know Hewitt own Pete's ass.
those are exhibitions, i wouldn't be surprised if pete wins. everybody beat him back then and some multiple times. he surely wouldn't stand a chance anymore nowadays against the top 10. exhibitions are exhibitions though.

·
Banned
48 Posts

Will the Sampras-Federer March10th @ MSG match be best of 5sets? I hope so:)

·
Registered
4 Posts

Is there money to be made over such boring exhibitions?

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

The US Open 2000 final and the Australian Open 2002 encounter rate amongst my favourite matches, Safin will kick his backside.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts

The US Open 2000 final and the Australian Open 2002 encounter rate amongst my favourite matches, Safin will kick his backside.
How about the 2001 USO encounter? You didn't like that one?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts