Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From espn.com

Tennis star Pete Sampras said he will play at least one more year but will skip the first Grand Slam event of 2003, the Australian Open in January.

Sampras, 31, told the Los Angeles Times that he will miss the Australian Open because he won't have enough time to prepare for the tournament. His first court appearance will be in San Jose's Siebel Open in February, followed by tournaments in Scottsdale, Indian Wells and Miami.

Rumors have been circulating that Sampras was going to retire after he won his 14th Grand Slam event -- an unexpected victory in the U.S. Open three months ago and the birth of his son, Christian, last month with actress Bridgette Wilson.

But Sampras told the Times that he will continue playing as long as he is competitive and doesn't want the public to think that the 2003 season should be viewed as a farewell tour.

"I'm just going to see how it goes, just kind of ride the wave and see how far it takes me," Sampras said.

As long as he remains healthy, Sampras said he plans to play in the three remaining Grand Slam events -- the French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Sampras said he made his decision last week after consulting with his wife, his father, Sam and his brother, Gus.

"I understand that, week in and week out, I don't have what I had when I was No. 1 in the world," he said. "To do that, to stay there, it has to be your total life, you have to live and breathe it. But that doesn't mean I can't still win the big ones."

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
missing the Oz Open :eek:

well, if he thinks that's best than alright i guess

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
it was obvious he would skip OZ Open

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts