Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pete Sampras predicts Federer will break his Grand Slam record

51 minutes ago

MACAU - Take it from no less an authority than Pete Sampras: Roger Federer is more dominant than he was and predicts the Swiss star will break his record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

Still, Sampras isn't prepared to cede his place in history just yet. Asked how Sampras in his prime would fare against Federer, the 36-year-old American said it wasn't a fair comparison.

"For me, in my prime, I felt unbeatable," Sampras said Friday. "In Roger's days, he's unbeatable. It's really hard to put one guy over the other. Having said that, I think Roger is dominating the game much more than I ever did. I think he's going to go on and past 14 and win 16, 17, 18 majors."

Sampras said at a news conference he thought Federer would remain No. 1 a "very, very long time." Federer has won 12 Grand Slams titles, two short of Sampras' mark.

"I think he's going to break all records," Sampras said.

The full article here:

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g3rHOzi_DzgoNQgTagpod2y-qMCw

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
Sampras didn't dominate as much as Federer because he actually had to face some good players in his time, whereas Federer mostly plays total mugs.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sampras didn't dominate as much as Federer because he actually had to face some good players in his time, whereas Federer mostly plays total mugs.
I guess it was a pity you weren't there at the press conference then, to point that out to Pete :angel:

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Yes, Ten of great play as Andre in 1990s, They beat each other, Pete has no chance to dominate as much as Federer does in today

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
I guess it was a pity you weren't there at the press conference then, to point that out to Pete :angel:
Sampras has to be humble.

Sampras faced the likes of Mcenroe, Agassi, Becker, Ivanesivic, Rafter, Chang, Courier and Stich plus there was much more depth in clay courters in the 90s

Whereas Federer plays complete and utter mugs like Davydenko, Ferrer and Roddick.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sampras didn't dominate as much as Fed because on a bad serving day, he is losing to clowns, even at Grand Slams.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sampras faced the likes of Mcenroe, Agassi, Becker, Ivanesivic, Rafter, Chang, Courier and Stich plus there was much more depth in clay courters in the 90s

Whereas Federer plays complete and utter mugs like Davydenko, Ferrer and Roddick.
Interesting how your analogy for Federer's competition glaringly overlooks Nadal and Nalbaldian. I guess it's a case of show the strongest for Sampras and the weakest for Federer, eh?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yeah, Sampras played a 30+ years old McEnroe who hadn't won a slam for 6 years...

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
Interesting how your analogy for Federer's competition glaringly overlooks Nadal and Nalbaldian. I guess it's a case of show the strongest for Sampras and the weakest for Federer, eh?
Nadal on clay is the only one that compare with the players I mentioned.

Nalbandian? PMSL.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
sampras wasn't a baseliner at all. just pure S/V like all the blokes in his time. His serve so accurate that volley only had to be acceptable. the game has adapted to the slowing court surface. if you come to net you often get passed (Fed's backhand flick shots)

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Actually Sampras didn't become a S/V until late 1998 when his back problem started up. Before then he was mostly a baseliner except on grass.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

McEnroe was completely over the hill by the time Sampras started dominating.

During Sampras era of domination from 1993 to 1998, Agassi was his only real rivgal, and even he only played well from mid-94 to late 1995. During 1993 and 1997 was all but a goner.

Becker basically peaked in the 80's and early 90's before Sampras dominated.

Ivanisevic was all serve.

Rafter only really started playing well after Sampras was in heavy decline.

Chang would have been considered a complete mug these days.

Courier was great. In 1991-93 - just BEFORE Sampras started dominating. After that he was mediocre at best.

Stich was hit and miss all throughout his career.

On the other hand...

Federer OWNS Hewitt and Safin - two players that humiliated Sampras in US Open finals.

Federer OWNS Hewitt, Safin, Roddick and Agassi - four players that were all #1 players at one time during this decade.

In Nadal Federer has a consistent rival of a caliber that Sampras never had.

The mens game has much more depth these days than in the 90's.

Agassi himself, a staunch supporter of Sampras and one of few players who have had numerous meetings with both, believes Federer to be the GOAT.

I could go on, but I'm afraid it's pointless.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
BlueSwan - you contradict yourself. First you say that Agassi played well from mid-94 to late 95, then you say he was MIA from 93-97. Make up your mind.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
krajicek dominated sampras!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
No matter how you slice it, there are always arguments for who is or is not the best ever. Some people even believe statistics reveal all.

One thing is clear to me. 00 Ego is the most complete player of all time. And Sampras had the greatest weapon of all time...his first/second serve combo.

That's what makes sport fun...these debates can go on and on. And because there are "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon present", such debates are reasonable:

Laver played Ashe, who played Connors, who played Lendl, who played Agassi, who played Sampras, who played Hewitt, who played Federer...and so on...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That's it -- Federer is officially jinxed -- watch him break his leg getting out of bed tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts