Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
|
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I think he is still working hard. He is doing all the right things, he is just not playing as well," said the American legend of the Spanish star who saw his world ranking slip to a 10-year low after losing his French Open title in June.

"It just seems like anxiety is creeping in, he seems a little bit nervous, he's hitting a lot of short balls.

"Guys don't fear him as much and it's tough to play defence out there. Mentally and physically he's been out there a while and it's taking its toll.

"When Rafa struggles, I think he feels like his career is over. But he'll be fine, he'll get back to where he once was."

And that's coming from a guy probably not wanting Rafa to win any more slams (they are tied on 14).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,534 Posts
"I think he is still working hard. He is doing all the right things, he is just not playing as well," said the American legend of the Spanish star who saw his world ranking slip to a 10-year low after losing his French Open title in June.

"It just seems like anxiety is creeping in, he seems a little bit nervous, he's hitting a lot of short balls.

"Guys don't fear him as much and it's tough to play defence out there. Mentally and physically he's been out there a while and it's taking its toll.

"When Rafa struggles, I think he feels like his career is over. But he'll be fine, he'll get back to where he once was."

And that's coming from a guy probably not wanting Rafa to win any more slams (they are tied on 14).
Federer said the same earlier this year. I will believe it when I see it. Still he's better than those outside top 10 but a good opponent can take advantage.

·
29,637 Posts
He also said something about how when he was at Nadal's age he still felt he was the best player in the world while he thinks Nadal hasn't got that confidence.

·
Registered
358 Posts
No chance Nadal "gets back to where he once was". The decline is real and has been ongoing for over a year. It's only going to get worse.

·
|
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember when Rafa couldn't win a set at the 2009 World Tour Finals because his forehand was too short and too soft :eek:
That was PRIME Rafa.
Its funny how people still have no awareness of the role confidence plays in Rafa's game :lol:
Born yesterday I guess....

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,534 Posts
Remember when Rafa couldn't win a set at the 2009 World Tour Finals because his forehand was too short and too soft :eek:
That was PRIME Rafa.
Its funny how people still have now awareness of the role confidence plays in Rafa's game :lol:
Not JUST WTF now, but even on clay and hard court. There's no getting around that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Lol. That last sentence is a contradicition to basically everything he said before in the interview.

What is he saying about Rafa in that interview:
- anxiety
- nervous
- short balls
- opponents don't fear him anymore
- worse defender
- mentally and physically done
- feels his career is over

That's a devastating statement. But nothing but the truth.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
cour·te·ous
ˈkərdēəs/
adjective
polite, respectful, or considerate in manner.

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
Sampras comparing current Nadal to his 2001 self. :superlol:

Whether Nadal will come back to win his final slam remains to be seen. Things are not really going that way, clay competition increased (Wawrinka, Murray, Djokovic, probably even Nishikori better than him on the surface this year), not mentioning other surfaces.

·
|
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just glad Rafa isn't playing as badly as 2009.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa wins a bunch of slams.
I think even his biggest doubters wouldn't be surprised, after all they've been through....

·
Registered
26,225 Posts

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
I'm just glad Rafa isn't playing as badly as 2009.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa wins a bunch of slams.
I think even his biggest doubters wouldn't be surprised, after all they've been through....
No, we would be only surprised if you stopped your blatant trolling.
It's becoming really booooooooooring. :no:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yep he'll be back in diapers when he gets old, unless Sampras thought Nadal could get infected by the curious case of Benjamin Button.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That was PRIME Rafa.
Its funny how people still have no awareness of the role confidence plays in Rafa's game :lol:
Born yesterday I guess....
Speaking of forgetting...

Have you forgotten what it feels like to see Nadal win a relevant title?

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
No he won't. Nadal is done.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts