Mens Tennis Forums banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's just being an attention whore :shrug: nothing to do with personality...
They're professional tennis players, they've already got the spotlight on them. Besides... it seems like the only time that he does the impressions is when the interviewer on court asks him. It would be rude to return the request down! :angel::angel:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
But it's easy to conclude that doing impersonations during the USO was a bad idea. I don't know why Djokovic accepted that.
I also believe it was wrong to ask him to do impersonations, though. But even so, he should have turned that offer down.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It is not clear what Sampras really meant.

Most people here assume he was sarcastic on DJokovic, but it's not clear... He just wasn't articulated enough.

Some time ago there was news that Novak was going to meet and train with Pete these days...

edit: Sequence of tenses. I hope it good now.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Sampras actually has a wonderful personality, very low key with a dry sense of humor. He likes hanging out with Justin, so I can see where he would appreciate Nole as well. That comment was in print, so it's very hard to tell the tone. Then again, it's hard to decipher Pete's tone when you are watching him speak live.

I understand that everyone in this thread is making their judgements based on TV exposure, but I think Nole is very charming in person.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Some time ago there was news that Novak was going to meet and train with Pete these days...
Here it is.:)
Alon Kaksuri, Novak Djokovic's manager, said that during the next season, Novak would spend one part of his preparations with, what many people think, the best tennis player of all times, Pete Sampras.

"Novak should meet Sampras and train with him for about seven days, before the tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami. Pete is one of Novak's idols, and he sure is interesting for training together. Especially because Djokovic can learn a lot from him" – said Kaksuri, the Israeli who's been Djokovic's manager since he was 15.
Source

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
If correctly reported, this is a stupid and unnecessary remark by Sampras. No one appears to have mentioned Djokovic but I can't see anyone can deny he has personality in abundance - whether you like him is of course a different issue.

By contrast, I recall sitting through Sampras interviews each Wimbledon was akin to having one's ears filled with porridge.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
(English is not my native language) How derogatory does Pete's comment sound ?
Hard to say. It could be sarcasm, it could be a lame attempt at being witty. Pete has rarely outright insulted tennis players (except the few that he feuded with at times), so I don't know if that was his intention. It's strange to me to see Pete cracking jokes publicly, like when he did a fist pump at Tiger Woods last night, it's the complete opposite of the public persona he had for so many years. Maybe he's still getting used to it himself.

·
Registered
20,399 Posts
Interesting...

I thought that English totally prevailed in Scotland...
Yes, if only MTF allowed people to use flags of countries others than their own :)

Thanks for the answer Fee ;)
I could understand if Sampras didn't like Djokovic's on court personnality, given how different it was from his own. But it seems strange he would say something like that and not be joking in some way :shrug:

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.