Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sampras was saying the other day that Roger doesn't face many GrandSlam winners. My answers to that is:

1. Federer wins 3/4 of all GrandSlams he plays in
2. Nadal wins the rest
3. Nadal will beat any of the so-called rivals that Sampras is talking about on their best days.

I am no Sampras basher. I think he is still the GOAT, but it's simply wrong to say that Agassi who couldn't beat Nadal or Jim Courier could cause Federer problems. To be honest Agassi actually owned Federer before that Houston Mastes Cup that he got beat twice by the reborn Fed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seriously. Edberg, McEnroe, Agassi, Kuerten, Moya, Courier, Becker, Muster.... I wonder which one of these guys would trouble a 100% Nadal let alone Federer (Guga did beat Roger before he really became Roger so that doesn't count!)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Sampras was saying the other day that Roger doesn't face many GrandSlam winners
This year only;
- 5 matches against Nadal
- 3 matches against Ferrero
- 3 matches against Roddick
- 2 matches against Hewitt
- 1 match against Safin
- 1 match against Moya

Zzz...

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Seriously. Edberg, McEnroe, Agassi, Kuerten, Moya, Courier, Becker, Muster.... I wonder which one of these guys would trouble a 100% Nadal let alone Federer (Guga did beat Roger before he really became Roger so that doesn't count!)
All those guys can beat Nadal.

They can beat Federer as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
All those guys can beat Nadal.

They can beat Federer as well.
Except Moya, unless they are going to play an exhibition.:)
It's hard to imagine how such a guy could ever be the nr.1 of the world, how he could reach the AO final and win a Grand Slam. Well...... only in the Sampras era......zzzzzzz:zzz:

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
okay not really an answer to your question but a thought related to it....

It is just stupid to figure it is a weak area because of the fact that Fed is dominating. Domination is caused by how large the gap between the dominator and the Rest of the field is. A wide gap can obviously have two causes:

A) The field is exceptionally weak.
B) The Dominator is exceptionally strong.

So from the fact that Fed is dominating it is just as logical to conclude that Fed is exceptionally strong then to conclude that it is a mug area.

Strong rivalry between players could also be caused by a weak area if there is no exceptionally strong player around. since all players are just average they are all close together and have though battles. So maybe Sampras played in a weak area :devil:

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
You must be joking. With 90 mph serves ??
With everything being fair.

McEnroe, Edberg and Becker can beat Federer on grass or any fast indoor surface.

Courier, Kuerten and Muster can beat Federer on clay.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
It's hard to imagine how such a guy could ever be the nr.1 of the world, how he could reach the AO final and win a Grand Slam. Well...... only in the Sampras era......zzzzzzz:zzz:
Missed him, yes Moya is one of the weakest world no. 1 ever. But he did reach no. 1 when Sampras wasn't playing much in 1999 due to injuries and lack of form.

But Kafelnikov and Rafter did as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Missed him, yes Moya is one of the weakest world no. 1 ever. But he did reach no. 1 when Sampras wasn't playing much in 1999 due to injuries and lack of form.

But Kafelnikov and Rafter did as well.
Then where are the other legends to stop Moya from reaching nr.1 ? I mean, wasn't the Sampras era packed with Greats and Legends ?

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Then where are the other legends to stop Moya from reaching nr.1 ? I mean, wasn't the Sampras era packed with Greats and Legends ?
Well Agassi started dominating late 1999. Just a lucky period for a few players.

But Kafelnikov, Rafter and Moya are still better than most of those in the top 10 now.

As you mentioned the greats of Sampras' era, most of them were in the first half of the 1990's, Edberg, Lendl, Becker, Courier and Agassi. But all of them except Agassi were done by 1997.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If Moya his best tennis, he would beat Roger too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well Agassi started dominating late 1999. Just a lucky period for a few players.

But Kafelnikov, Rafter and Moya are still better than most of those in the top 10 now.

As you mentioned the greats of Sampras' era, most of them were in the first half of the 1990's, Edberg, Lendl, Becker, Courier and Agassi. But all of them except Agassi were done by 1997.
How about most of them are from the first quatre of the 90's, pre Sampras era. And if you compare Moya, Kafelnikov and Rafter to the current upperclass of the top 10(Nadal, Djoksh1t, Roddick), no they are not better.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If Moya his best tennis, he would beat Roger too.
So why didn't he do that ? 7 Tries, 1st one dating back from 1999, his prime years.

Oh, I forgot. The whole world forgot how to play tennis after the Sampras era.:lol:

Reactions: Kolya

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
McEnroe beating Federer on Grass? Are you high. True. Moya has beaten Nadal but when Nadal was playing injured or wasn't this good. All I am saying is that Federer doesn't need 10 Grand Slam winners to challenge him like Sampras had. Nadal is enough. The guy is the best clay courter of all time and he plays on grass like no other clay courter I have seen except Borg. I stand on my claim that none of Sampras' challengers could beat Nadal at his best. This era is not weak. This era has essentially 2 Great No.1s if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Moya has beaten Nadal but when Nadal was playing injured or wasn't this good
Nice quote ;) I may say now that Moya can't defeat Nadal because he's not peaking during his matches against Nadal. Probably because he perceives him as a younger brother ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts