Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2727497.stm

Pete Sampras has withdrawn from next week's ATP tournament in San Jose saying he is not yet ready to return to top-level tennis.
The former world number one and record Grand Slam title winner was due to make his comeback after four months out at the Siebel Open.

But the 31-year-old will now return in Scottsdale, Arizona, on 3 March, after failing to get in good enough shape for San Jose.

Sampras' last competitive match was his victory over Andre Agassi in the US Open final in September.


"Unfortunately, I will be postponing my return to the competitive arena and am withdrawing from the Siebel (San Jose) Open," said Sampras.

"Although I have made significant progress in recent weeks, I am not fully prepared to compete at the highest level.

"It is disappointing to be unable to participate in San Jose where I have enjoyed many successes in the past."

Siebel Open tournament chairman Barry MacKay said: "Obviously, a late withdrawal such as this is extremely disappointing and will make our entire tournament staff work even harder for a successful event."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


looks like he won't be back
if he don't comeback for Scottsdale/Indian Wells, i say thats it
he's gonna do a Rafter for a few months, then finally give up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
LOL T-Fooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, Pete, return to us!!!!!!!!!! Omigod, I love that man!!!!!!!! Ahhh *slobber slobber*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
He better return soon if he wants to get in shape to win Roland Garros :eek:
LMAO!! :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,173 Posts
Another article on the same subject from here

Sampras out of San Jose, raises questions

As Siebel Open tournament director Bill Rapp said on Tuesday, Pete Sampras' decision to pull out of the Siebel Open was "90 percent surprising and 10 percent predictable."

Surprising in that Rapp signed a contract with Sampras before last year's US Open, is a friend of Sampras' coach, Paul Annacon,e and as of Monday morning, Sampras was still planning on chatting up reporters on a teleconference this week.

Predictable in that it's tough to count on someone who hasn't played since winning his fifth US Open last September, has a 2-month-old son and with 14 Slam titles, has few reasons to return, other than to avenge his horrific Wimbledon defeat last year and save some face at Roland Garros. :D

"We signed a contract with Pete 10 days before the US Open and I'm the type of person who always honors contracts," Rapp said. "But maybe that's just me. Paul told me that Pete has been working out pretty hard in Los Angeles, but just isn't mentally prepared yet to come back."

Tournament Chairman Barry MacKay spoke to Sampras on Monday and told tennisreporters.net that Sampras still hasn't mentally come to terms with returning to the tour. Sampras hasn't played a tournament since last September and said in the fall that he was unsure whether he would come back.

'I'M JUST NOT READY TO PLAY YET.'
"Pete is still vexed by the big picture of his career," MacKay said. "I think it's a combination of him not feeling prepared physically to come back and play at a high level and him not being 100 percent mentally committed to returning. Pete told me, 'I'm just not ready to play yet.' "

MacKay said while Sampras is unclear of his plans, he does believe that seven-time Wimbledon champion Sampras will eventually return.

"It's just a gut feeling I have, but I believe that he thinks he can win Wimbledon again and that might get him back," MacKay said. "But you would think he needs at least three months of preparation."

Former U.S. No. 1 MacKay is a big fan of Sampras', but wasn't thrilled by his withdrawal. With Sampras pull-out and Andy Roddick's withdrawal last week due to injury, the tournament is left with Aussie Open champ Andre Agassi, James Blake and the declining Mark Philippoussis as its headliners.

"The ATP has to do something about this," said MacKay. "These kind of late withdrawals of stars hurts tournaments."

Rapp said that his attempt to get defending champ Lleyton Hewitt to play as a late replacement fell on deaf ears, because Hewitt has post-Davis Cup obligations in Australia.

Sampras is next scheduled to play the Franklin Templeton Classic in Scottsdale, Az., March 3-9. The tournament director there is his older brother, Gus.

seems like we are having another Rafter as TBE said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vaiva said:
Former U.S. No. 1 MacKay is a big fan of Sampras', but wasn't thrilled by his withdrawal. With Sampras pull-out and Andy Roddick's withdrawal last week due to injury, the tournament is left with Aussie Open champ Andre Agassi, James Blake and the declining Mark Philippoussis as its headliners.

thats what happens when you put a "chicken event" in place along side a star tourn in Marseille.

it will be even worse in Memphis the week after.

Bring back quality pts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
I don't think it's that big of a surprise. I really don't care when he comes back but I think after winning USO he doesn't want to come back and lose a 1st round match.
Big Pete might be a bit scared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
hopefully he does comeback. maybe Becca's right about the 'not fit enough' or maybe Eggy is right about pulling a Rafter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
what a looser he is. if he's not ready now, then when will he ever be?????? he had more time than anybody else. anyways................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Give him time, that's basically a month away, and sampras has earned the right to say when and change his mind.

but in terms of his preparation, only he knows what he's doing and what shape he's in right now to say that. But I certainly would agree with the idea that its pretty IDIOTIC of him to think that he can just come in with one clay tournament before the FO (jumping forward here on topic) and hope to do better there, unless he's up to something that's gonna knock people's socks off -- like go to the second week despite common wisdom.

unlikely if he does it with that approach.

about the staying out of next week, maybe he is not prepared, maybe he's frightened', maybe he keeps being indecisive, who knows. he could be procrastinating and finding that for the first time he's had a long break and is having a difficult time to get motivated or even get started in earnest. who knows?

either way, he better get going soon because he's not going to get younger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,359 Posts
It's almost getting to the stage where he'd be better going the whole hog and having his head shaved like Agassi. It would be an interesting if rather bizarre sight, don't you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,359 Posts
He probably doesn't think it suits his style, though - that shaven-headed, raw look suits gritty baseliners like Agassi who don't mind getting stuck in to the grind of a long, slug-fest match, whereas Sampras I think still likes to believe he has the dashing elegance of a classic serve-volleyer who can dance nimbly towards the net and finish points off quickly and efficiently.

That, or perhaps he's actually willing to accept Bridgette Wilson's suggestion that he have a hair transplant (!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,530 Posts
Hair transplant would balance things a bit. Depends on from where the transplant would be made.. Back or butt?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top