Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 636 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
52,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
🤦 🤦 🤦

I can't, I just can't anymore with these clowns. Sam Querrey has an article about him in this most recent Tennis Magazine, entitled: "Leading the Charge."

I nearly vomited when I read his comments, I am literally sick to my stomach, and absolutely disgusted. Pancho Gonzales and Jack Kramer are turning over in their graves after this article, I am fucking disgusted.

Here are some excerpts:

"I'd love to reach the top 10, I'd love to get to the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam and I'd love to win a Davis Cup," Querrey says. He then adds, without hesitation, "If those things don't happen, but I work really hard and do everything I can, I can live with that."

Are you fucking serious? Can you imagine Connors or Mac or Sampras or Andre saying they only want to make a slam QF? Really Querrey? A slam QF is your greatest fucking ambition? Are you fucking serious? 🤦

Jim Courier, Davis Cup Captain, was also interviewed for the article:

"Being the #1 American is a great achievement and Sam should feel very proud of that. But I'd like Sam to be a street-fighter. I'd like him to walk around more with his chest out. Sam is a tall guy who, when he walks around, looks like he tries to shrink himself to not be seen. His instinct is to fit in. He's a happy go lucky kid. That's great off the court. But on the court, the game is combat, and you have to be ready for it."

Courier is 100% right here, he is basically saying Querrey needs to grow a pair in not so mean language. Querrey goes on later in the interview talking about how the USA tennis players are more friends now than they were in the Mac and Connors days or even in the Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Chang days, to which Courier replied:

"Life is life, and tennis is tennis. I think you really have to separate business and life. Tennis is a business. It's cut-throat. It's rough out there. Everyone is after your lunch. And that's not different in the tennis world. Pete Sampras and I played doubles together, ate every meal together. But things changed when we got better and started competing against each other for major championships. It's pretty simple from my point of view. Business is business, and life is life. While you don't have to be a jerk about it while you're on the court, in between the lines, you play to win, you play for keeps."

Courier again, 100% spot on. And then at the end of the article, Querrey has some more quotes, when asked if comraderie and friendships are more important than trophies:

"The friendships? Yeah, I think so. Because, at the end of the day, when we're done playing tennis at 35, there's a long life after that. I hope I can leave the game with five really close friends that I can hang out with for the rest of my life."

And then the author:

"Maybe, in the end, Sam Querrey is simply too nice and too good-natured to be a champion. Maybe that's just not Querrey's goal. Maybe the friendships matter more than the trophies. And maybe, just maybe, that's OK."

I don't even know where to begin with how disgusted I was, reading this article today, I nearly threw up. First off his goal is only to be in a grand slam QF, which is pathetically low, and then his assertion that friendships are more important than winning 🤦 He'd rather be well liked and buddy buddy with everybody than to be a champion, and that is just sickening. I guarantee you Mac and Connors would have much stronger words than Courier's veiled "grow a pair" comments. All in all, this is beyond pathetic, and the worst part is that all the USA players have this same mindset. They care more about fitting in and hanging out than being a champion.

It is a disgrace to all of the great USA champions over the last 130 years. Bill Tilden, Elly Vines, and Don Budge are all facepalming in the afterlife right now. This country deserves a better class of tennis player, and I'm going to give it to them, but for now, we are stuck with this bullshit :help:

I'm so fucking pissed off about this article. Sam Querrey should be ashamed of himself.

·
Your visions will happen
52,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Sam Querrey should be ashamed of himself

And the worst part of all of this?

That young kids are going to be reading this article and they will adopt the same mindset. "Well, I can just aim for top 30 in the world, win a couple rounds in a slam, that's all I want, really, I don't want to do all the hard work to be a champion, I can just be pretty good and that's ok, so long as I have friends, everything will be fine." :facepalm:

And we wonder why USA tennis is in the shitter?

NO BALLS.

This article has made my blood seethe. I am so fucking pissed off right now.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

come on now, no need to be so hard on Querrey. Only he knows the level he is capable of, and it's better to be realistic than delusional.

Reactions: Mateya

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

:help:

But yes,don't be too hard on him,different person choose different patterns of life.He doesn't need to be the one you want him to be.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts

johnny I hope you dont get that angry everytime you open an itf plyer profile and see their ambition is top 50 or top100 :D

·
Your visions will happen
52,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

come on now, no need to be so hard on Querrey. Only he knows the level he is capable of, and it's better to be realistic than delusional.
Realism is relative. What about when Djokovic was a nobody and saying he wants to be #1 in the world? When he was a nobody and retiring against Nadal at RG and saying he thought he was in control? I bet people told him to be more "realistic", did they not? Where is he now?

Dude, it doesn't matter what mentality Querrey has. He could be the most focused guy in the world and it wouldn't make a difference because he lacks talent.
I disagree with that. I think he can improve certain parts of his game if he wanted to, but he doesn't want to. He has career wins over both Murray and Djokovic, and he was 1 set all vs. Djokovic in the Davis Cup just 4 months ago. In a live 4th rubber in front of the home crowd, 1 set all vs. Djokovic, and Querrey gives up and loses 1-6 and 0-6 the last two sets with a terrible defeatist attitude. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was seeing. He has no guts, he has no inner fire to be great. He only want to be good, and that sickens me, considering the mantle he is upholding in the great pantheon of USA tennis stars of history.

:help:

But yes,don't be too hard on him,different person choose different patterns of life.He doesn't need to be the one you want him to be.
Perhaps so, but still, when you have so many great USA champions from the past, including one Jim Courier, your own Davis Cup captain, who is telling you to basically grow a pair, how do you not feel guilty for not living up to that history? How can you look Jim Courier in the eyes, or Pete Sampras or Andre Agassi and John McEnroe and Jimmy Fucking Connors in the eyes and tell him you only want to make a slam quarterfinal and make some friends? Are you fucking serious? It is an absolute disgrace.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts

He's not the only one on the ATP who thinks this way. In fact, I think very few of them aspire to the very top of the sport and are more realistic in their goals. In fact, even some of the top 10 have kind of resided to always being ranked after the super elite Big 4.

This reminds me that after Pospisil's great victory over Berdych, he was asked about what some of his goals were and he mentioned becoming a top 20 player down the road. Now I get that's a realistic goal and what he could end up being in the end, but what's the problem with aiming high? It certainly can't hurt. Other young guys like Raonic, Tomic, and Dimitrov have all mentioned their desire to be #1 at some point in the past, I believe.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

He's not the only one on the ATP who thinks this way. In fact, I think very few of them aspire to the very top of the sport and are more realistic in their goals. In fact, even some of the top 10 have kind of resided to always being ranked after the super elite Big 4.

This reminds me that after Pospisil's great victory over Berdych, he was asked about what some of his goals were and he mentioned becoming a top 20 player down the road. Now I get that's a realistic goal and what he could end up being in the end, but what's the problem with aiming high? It certainly can't hurt. Other young guys like Raonic, Tomic, and Dimitrov have all mentioned their desire to be #1 at some point in the past, I believe.
And they are all deemed as arrogant around here right?

·
Your visions will happen
52,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

johnny I hope you dont get that angry everytime you open an itf plyer profile and see their ambition is top 50 or top100 :D
:lol:

I do, I get pissed off when I see that shit. And then when I see the kids with the ambition to be #1, I say: "This is the only kid who is really going to make it out of all these clowns."

I also got angry when Tsonga retired vs. Djokovic in Canada 2011. The umpire asked why, Tsonga said: "Because he is playing too good" :facepalm:

So much fucking pathetic attitudes among even top 10, top 20 players! I am ASTOUNDED that a top 10-20 player has no ambition to make further than a slam QF and will give up vs. #1 in the world because he's playing too good. Yeah, he's #1 in the world, you are damn right he is playing good.

This is why I will always respect guys like Nadal and Roddick. No matter how many times Nadal got his ass beat by Djokovic, he always wanted to fight him again, no matter how many times Roddick lost to Federer, he always wanted another shot.

OP is pissed OFF. :lol:
Hell yeah I'm pissed off. I'm pissed off cause I'm working 6 nights a week to try to save up money for just a chance at the tour, and this clown says he just wants to make friends and be an ok player? That if he doesn't make top 10 or a slam QF, he would be ok with that? Are you fucking kidding me? Why would you train all that time and make it into the top 20 and then you say: "Ok, I'm good, I don't want to improve any more, those guys at the top are too tough for me." Really? Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
417 Posts

Allow me to quote the great football (soccer) manager Bill Shankly:

"Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor."

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

I guess I see where you're coming from, but to compare Querrey to Djokovic is silly. Djokovic was always considered a huge talent. Not the case with Querrey.

·
Your visions will happen
52,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I think it is terrible that so many players just seem resigned to the fact that the top 4-5 is simply unreachable and they are fine with being ranked 6-20 or worse. I have no problem with Raonic, Tomic, and Dimitrov wanted to be #1 in the world. I'd rather have someone thinking that way and working towards it than someone who is content to be top 25.

And they are all deemed as arrogant around here right?
Perhaps, much like baby Djokovic was deemed to be delusional back in 2006. I'm not saying those guys will have Djokovic like careers, but my point is that, if you are going to do something, to dedicate your life to something, why not do it to the absolute best? Why not be the best in the world? Why not be the greatest of all time? Why settle for only being 30th best?

·
Registered
33,358 Posts

What's wrong with Querrey realising that he's a USTA Factory Produced servebot clown?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts

Someone here alleged before that Querrey claimed not to even like tennis much. Can anyone explain that? I took it with a grain of salt but admittedly wondered what made them say as much.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts

It's good that Querrey is not arrogant and makes realistic goals. Comparing him to what Sampras or Connors would say is stupid, as he isn't even close to them in terms of potential. Nice that he keeps his head on the ground.

They made fool of themselves. Dimitrov is not no.1 potential, and Tomic is not "the best ever" potential as he claimed himself to be.

·
Your visions will happen
52,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Allow me to quote the great football (soccer) manager Bill Shankly:

"Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor."
Exactly.

I guess I see where you're coming from, but to compare Querrey to Djokovic is silly. Djokovic was always considered a huge talent. Not the case with Querrey.
Cause Querrey never believed in himself. Shit, even Roddick can serve and bash his way to #1 and USO title. Roddick's game was always limited, but he had GUTS.

1 - 20 of 636 Posts