·
Registered
8,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Safin's return from injury is not what the doctor ordered
Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:24 AM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

By Simon Cambers

CINCINNATI, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Australian Open champion Marat Safin admitted he had played against medical advice after returning to the tour with victory in the first round of the Cincinnati Masters Series event on Tuesday.

The Russian fourth seed beat Czech Jan Hernych 7-6 6-4 to reach the second round, but the left knee injury that caused him to miss seven weeks after his third-round defeat at Wimbledon, is still causing him trouble.

"All the doctors were telling me to stay away a little bit longer, for another two weeks at least," Safin said.

"It still hurts a little bit. I am still afraid to move fast. Hopefully, it will get better.

"I took a risk to come here and start a little bit early to prepare for the U.S. Open. The doctor was a bit scared because the pain can increase. For the moment it's OK, but at some stage I can hurt myself even more.

"Maybe you know the soccer player, Ronaldo, he had the same injury, kind of the same. He continued playing and then he hurt himself and he didn't play for two years."

Safin, who is considering playing in the warm-up event in New Haven next week, said that he had been lucky not to require an operation.

"I've been injected with my own blood. It's just a new system, a new thing," the two times grand slam winner added.

"It's like there is a cut ligament. So basically they injected your own blood with the rebuilding cells so the ligament goes together. And so it's produced a little bit faster because normally it takes like three to four months, this injury.

"I guess it took me one month and a half, but still I think I rushed it little bit. Hopefully I'll be OK."

FAVOURITE EVENTS

After winning the Australian Open in January, Safin struggled to regain his form and concentration, while his knee began to affect him badly, both at the French Open and Wimbledon.

The U.S. Open, where he won his first grand slam title in 2000, is one of his favourite events and Safin admitted he would not have returned to the tour so soon had the year's final major tournament not been less than a fortnight away.

"I didn't really practice before the tournament. Only when I just came three days ago, I played for two hours each day," he said.

"I can see that I have to defend a lot of points (in the indoor season), and I need to do really well if I want to maintain myself in the top ten," he said.

"Hopefully I will be lucky with the draws and I'll be able to get through the first week in the U.S. Open so that it can carry me until the end of the season. Because if you manage to get into the second week, then basically it means that you are playing well.

"And then Asia, Davis Cup. Hopefully I can maintain myself in the top ten or even top five, why not?"

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
This does not sound encouraging and sensible, but was Marat ever sensible? :confused:

·
Registered
17,160 Posts
Puschkin said:
This does not sound encouraging and sensible, but was Marat ever sensible? :confused:
:rolleyes: Who knows it....

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
It's a bit auto-destructive to recognize that he can aggravate the injury and possibly be away like two years... a bit surpriseing from a pro, but this is Marat, we will miss him if he's injured so long... :sad:

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After beating qualifier Jan Hernych 7-6, 6-4 in the first round of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters tournament, Safin expressed his intention to play in the Pilot Pen in New Haven, Conn. — health permitting.

"I am going to try to play New Haven probably because I need to play a couple more matches to get used to it, work on my fitness and get my rhythm back," Safin said.

When pressed on what he meant by "probably," Safin said, "I will decide how I feel here. If the (knee) will still hurt or the pain will increase, then I will skip New Haven and try to play the U.S. Open. If I am doing OK, then I will try to play New Haven just to get more matches in."

"I took a risk to come here and start a bit early to prepare for the U.S. Open," Safin said. "I’m praying to God so I will be healthy and will be able to play good tennis in the U.S. Open." :eek:

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was destined for Heaven but now he's fated to Hell. :sad:

·
Banned
19,258 Posts
This is Murray's chance.
Some good drop shots and short angles:D

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Oh that Wild'N'Crazy ruskie. Whatever will he do next?

Seriously though, I've always liked Safin, he does have a personality, which is good in individual sports, but it feels like I hardly ever see the guy work his magic.

Hopefully he wont be another Flip, with talent forever wasted by injury.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Bibir said:
After beating qualifier Jan Hernych 7-6, 6-4 in the first round of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters tournament, Safin expressed his intention to play in the Pilot Pen in New Haven, Conn. — health permitting.

"I am going to try to play New Haven probably because I need to play a couple more matches to get used to it, work on my fitness and get my rhythm back," Safin said.

When pressed on what he meant by "probably," Safin said, "I will decide how I feel here. If the (knee) will still hurt or the pain will increase, then I will skip New Haven and try to play the U.S. Open. If I am doing OK, then I will try to play New Haven just to get more matches in."

"I took a risk to come here and start a bit early to prepare for the U.S. Open," Safin said. "I’m praying to God so I will be healthy and will be able to play good tennis in the U.S. Open." :eek:
Marat :smash:

·
Registered
26,748 Posts
Bibir said:

oh yeah God will surely help him :rolleyes:

pleeease Lord Carlos, do something for Marat :crying2:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I am now officially hoping he loses his next match......But wait that means he'll go into a funk and feel he can't beat Top 100 players till the Australian Open....

This man is the definition of Torture. And I'm just a fan. I can't believe a sane woman would attempt a long-term relationship with him.....

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Once an OAF, always an OAF :eek: :cuckoo:

just hope he better not regret this
one more win and withdraw.

and dont play next week :retard:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
azinna said:
I am now officially hoping he loses his next match......But wait that means he'll go into a funk and feel he can't beat Top 100 players till the Australian Open....

This man is the definition of Torture. And I'm just a fan. I can't believe a sane woman would attempt a long-term relationship with him.....
luckily for Marat there are mnay insane women in this world, he just have to find one ;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts