Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what he might be speaking of here? I didn't see the match, so I'm not sure :confused:

From his 1/17/07 interview.

Q. What is your main emotion after that?

MARAT SAFIN: It's a pity, but I'm ‑‑ at the same time I'm pretty happy the way things are going. But I'm a little bit disappointed with the few things that happened to me in the first two sets. It shouldn't have happened, but unfortunately, that's the way it is.

But I consider I should have won in four; three, four sets. That's what happened to me in the first two. It's a mistake. This will be the first and last time it's going to happen to me, so...

Q. What's the reason for it?

MARAT SAFIN: I spoke already with my coach and with ‑‑ with my coach.

Q. When was the last time you played that well and lost?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, I don't know. Since a long time, I guess, been pretty long time I didn't play the same way. So for me it was a little bit surprising that I could ‑‑ unfortunately, I was pretty tense at the beginning of the match. So, you know, I didn't expect for a long time that I'm gonna play the same way.

So it's actually a little bit surprising for myself to be in such a good shape and play good tennis and be able to compete against top 10 players for five sets, you know, with a chance to win. So it's not really nothing wrong, but just it's small things that shouldn't happen at the age of 27, that's for sure.

Q. Is it your choice of shot or...

MARAT SAFIN: A few ‑‑ nothing to do with shots.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It's nice to know that he still cares. It's better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
He really found his game in the 3rd and 4th sets--you could really see the change in gameplan. He came into the match in sets 1 and 2 and just couldn't get a rhythm and was simply seeing the ball badly. I think that he could have won it. It's a shame he didn't. Good to see that he is still positive.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
I can only assume he's talking about finding himself sexually aroused in the first and second sets, which is quite embarrassing out on court in front of 15,000.

Maybe his coach has given him advice on how to keep the mouse in the house until a more appropriate time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well the 3rd and 4th sets were the Safin of old, i really couldnt believe he lost the 5th, he had all the momentum

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I can only assume he's talking about finding himself sexually aroused in the first and second sets, which is quite embarrassing out on court in front of 15,000.

Maybe his coach has given him advice on how to keep the mouse in the house until a more appropriate time.
I am pretty sure you are sexually aroused by 90% of men on tour.

Yeah, Safin should have won, and as that other guy pointed out, Safin was timing the ball much better, change in game plan and he was striking the ball for winners left and right.

It is so encouraging to see amazing form from Safin. He kept it up for 2 sets in a row, last year he couldn't for 2 games in a row.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
I am pretty sure you are sexually aroused by 90% of men on tour.

Yeah, Safin should have won, and as that other guy pointed out, Safin was timing the ball much better, change in game plan and he was striking the ball for winners left and right.

It is so encouraging to see amazing form from Safin. He kept it up for 2 sets in a row, last year he couldn't for 2 games in a row.
91.6% if we want to be absolutely accurate ;)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts

That didn't happen did it?? :eek:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
That didn't happen did it?? :eek:
LOL

No it didn't ;)

I didn't see anyone pitching tents on Rod Laver.

It is good to see that Safin still cares and seems to have refound a bit of the old arrogance "I should have won in 3 or 4 etc"

Much better than the old "woe is me, I'm so useless and the world is shit in my mouth" spiel of last year

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I was just watching his interview on Letterman from 2000 after winning the US Open, back then he had so much promise, I cannot believe such a talented player has been plagued with so much injury. I hope he can do some damage this year, I am confident he will do something.

(Anybody wants to see the interview it can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8417bX1f3o)

·
Registered
451 Posts
What a delusional muppet he is.
Are you ever able to give any arguments supporting these 5-6 word statements of yours?

I also found it a bit inappropriate that he said that, but you can imagine he was dissappointed he lost and that might explain it; and as it was said earlier, if he continues to be down and sad as a scolded kid (as he was in most of last year's interviews, even after wins), he won't reach anywhere in this quest of his to make another comeback...

I was just watching his interview on Letterman from 2000 after winning the US Open, back then he had so much promise, I cannot believe such a talented player has been plagued with so much injury. I hope he can do some damage this year, I am confident he will do something.

(Anybody wants to see the interview it can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8417bX1f3o)
But didn^t and probably will never win a Slam again. Very sad waste of a real talent.
There is so much talent out there which has not even been discovered: there might be thousands of safins who did not even pick a racquet in their lives...so he did well enough to play the game he's so good at and also reach no.1 and win 2 grand slams. When you consider the level to which he realised or not his potential you do not have to think only at his physical potential, but at him as a whole: if it were only about pure physical talent, then Fed should have started winning slams even earlier and Gasquet should have at least 5 until now...

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Safin's ensured himself in the HOF, so that's good enough for me. I just want him to win more so that ESPN will show his matches.

Also, strange that Dinara is the overachiever, and might make the HOF as well :lol:

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Are you ever able to give any arguments supporting these 5-6 word statements of yours?

I also found it a bit inappropriate that he said that, but you can imagine he was dissappointed he lost and that might explain it; and as it was said earlier, if he continues to be down and sad as a scolded kid (as he was in most of last year's interviews, even after wins), he won't reach anywhere in this quest of his to make another comeback...

There is so much talent out there which has not even been discovered: there might be thousands of safins who did not even pick a racquet in their lives...so he did well enough to play the game he's so good at and also reach no.1 and win 2 grand slams. When you consider the level to which he realised or not his potential you do not have to think only at his physical potential, but at him as a whole: if it were only about pure physical talent, then Fed should have started winning slams even earlier and Gasquet should have at least 5 until now...
Well the reality is he did pick up a racket and has been unlucky to have had such injuries, I honestly believe he would have won the Australian Open 2003, he had won a couple of matches then he was drawn to play Schuettler, man, how lucky was Schuettler Safin couldn't play, that could have been his career right gone their, no top 10 for him perhaps.

·
Registered
191 Posts

I wouldn't compare Fed with Safin. The only reason he isn't rightfully mocked is because of his looks and personality.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wouldn't compare Fed with Safin. The only reason he isn't rightfully mocked is because of his looks and personality.
I am not comparing Safin to Fed - still, the comparison, or rather association used to be done some years back, although I admit it was not exactly fitted not even fitted and def not now. The point I am trying to make is that it takes more than the ability to hit amazing shots to win slams and especially to win a lot of them: I would not call Safin an underachiever simply because he may have lacked in other departments; and the injuries had to play their part as well, I guess.

However, I do not consider he deserves to be mocked because his tennis is bad now: and this applies to any past champion - why should people have such short memory?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts