Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S. Darcis:"If I don't get a wild card, I will not go to Wimbledon to play qualifying"

It's now nine months since Darcis underwent surgery and he's back on the courts. There are still two wildcards for the men's singles remaining after the first six were announced this week, and Darcis is hopeful that the selectors will think of him and the entertainment he provided last time around.

"It would be a great story," he said to the Belgian press. "But if I don't get a wild card, I will not go to Wimbledon to play qualifying. I will use my protected ranking for the U.S. Open [qualifying] and play European challengers on clay."

Darcis had never made any significant impact at Wimbledon prior to 2013 but claims to enjoy grass court tennis. He's tasted some success on the surface, having reached the semi-finals in Eastbourne in 2012 and the quarter-finals at Queen's in 2009. "I have always played well on grass," he remarked after beating Nadal last year.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Re: S. Darcis:"If I don't get a wild card, I will not go to Wimbledon to play qualify

What a mug, why should he get WC, so he beat NAdal last year - so what he is grass mug lately and give W/O to Kubot in 2nd round.... what did he achieve there last year? not say beating Nadal there was biggest thing in tennis, i don´t care what he did, but unless he is not last year at least QF-SF why he should get WC if his ranking is not good enough. 2 WC left - 1 is for Groth/Kyrgios and 2nd i hope not for Darcis - after what he said i hope he won´t get WC

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Re: S. Darcis:"If I don't get a wild card, I will not go to Wimbledon to play qualify

What a mug, why should he get WC, so he beat NAdal last year - so what he is grass mug lately and give W/O to Kubot in 2nd round.... what did he achieve there last year? not say beating Nadal there was biggest thing in tennis, i don´t care what he did, but unless he is not last year at least QF-SF why he should get WC if his ranking is not good enough. 2 WC left - 1 is for Groth/Kyrgios and 2nd i hope not for Darcis - after what he said i hope he won´t get WC
Well, first off he's been injured for 9 months, so I don't know why you are calling him "grass mug," when he hasn't even played in nearly a year. His ranking is not good enough because he is injured. :shrug: Secondly, he made headlines last year, who else is there to give the second wildcard to?
I mean, I think he should try to qualify, but maybe he should start his comeback with smaller tournaments and work up from there.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Every year there is new Darcis, Tennis never stops for journey mans like him, Nadal. But I sincerely thinks that World no 1, facing failures on grass since 2012 should withdraw and hand over his place to great champ like Darcis.

Bottom line result of Wimbledon championships won't get significantly affected by Nadal/Darcis but Tennis fans like me wants exiting Tennis with shot making so...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

Well, first off he's been injured for 9 months, so I don't know why you are calling him "grass mug," when he hasn't even played in nearly a year. His ranking is not good enough because he is injured. :shrug: Secondly, he made headlines last year, who else is there to give the second wildcard to?
I mean, I think he should try to qualify, but maybe he should start his comeback with smaller tournaments and work up from there.
I called Nadal grass mug, yes i know he was out - so his ranking is not good enough top 104 for main draw, but my point is if doesn´t have good ranking and doesn´t make MD he should play qualification and if they - Wimbledon give him WC - it is up to them to decide and i think his 1 victory in 1st round and than gave W/O in 2nd round is not something for WC, if he made QF at least last year than o.k. he achieved something and went far, but he didn´t

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

If he doesn't play then Wimbledon title will have a huge asterix next to it.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

champ attitude

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

I want to see him

·
Registered
8,408 Posts

Who does this guy think he is?

Beating Dull on grass is routine, it doesn't make you worthy of a wild card the following year.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts

I think people are misinterpreting him. He isn't saying he expects one just that won't use his protected ranking on qualies here if he doesn't get one which is perfectly reasonable.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

I hear George Bastl is saying much the same.
He beat one of the greatest ever grass courters. What did Darcis do?!

Who does this guy think he is?

Beating Dull on grass is routine, it doesn't make you worthy of a wild card the following year.
Exactly.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts

That's ridiculous. He is no more deserving of a wild card at Wimbledon than Dustin Brown is at 's-Hertogenbosch. Beating Nadal on grass means nothing nowadays, especially if you lose in the next round or walkover. If he is good on grass, he will win his qualies.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

All luck this Nadal :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

tio toni will step in here: no wimbledon for darcis this year.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Well he wants to raise his ranking and playing challenger is more sensible than playing Wimbledon qualies. He hopes to have a wildcard but doesn't say he deserves it more than anyone else. He just states a reason why he should. He doesn't wanna waste his PR on Wimbledon knowing that he might not even perform just coming from injury.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts