39 Elena Likhovtseva   RUS  899
50 Vera Zvonareva      RUS  677
59 Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS  627
81 Dinara Safina       RUS  456
82 Alina Jidkova       RUS  455

·
Registered
615 Posts
I saw Myskina in Leipzig, not easy to see she's a top 12 player...she can play better then when I saw her in her first match.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Is there a point to this thread? I know they're all great players, but i think there are more Americans in the top 100 than Russians. Panova, imo, is overranked, and Kournikova logically shouldnt be at 35 after the year shes had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree somewhat with experimentee: the Russians are doing something right with their youngsters but as of yet none of the girls have proved they really have what it takes to reach the upper echolons of the game.

Obviously some are still young and certainly have time on their side, but I bet Russia would rather boast the top 4 players in the Race as the U.S.A can rather than having 10 top 100 players.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Experimentee - Does every thread have to have some great earth-shattering point? I'm not even a fan of any of those players. I just noticed there seemed to be a lot of Russians in the the top hundred, so I made a list. It's worth about as much time as I invested making it, which isn't much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think this was a good thread! If you missed the point, why post in it? :p

I think the most interesting thing about this list is, 7 of them have the talent to break the top 10!

1. Bovina
2. Safina
3. Kuznetsova
4. Zvonareva
5. Myskina
6. Kournikova
7. Dementieva

USA has lots of top ten talent players too, just a lot older ATM.

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Jennifer
4. Monica
5, Lindsay
6. Chanda
7. Meghann

Pretty Cool :)

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
and the best ones are not inside top 100

Lina and Nadia due to injury

then the three 15 yr old starlets Sharapova, Douchevina & Kirilenko :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Volcano! I noticed Russians last week on the Sanex site... I clicked on Rankings by country by mistake and was suprised at the number of Russians in the top 100! Even the top 50... I think they are second behind the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The amazing thing isn't that Anna is now only the 5th ranked Russian. The amazing thing is she could be #20 in the world by this time next year and still be the 5th ranked Russian.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
you remember when they were 6 french ladies inside the top 20 - pierce (never again), testud (retired), halard-decugis (retired), tauziat (retired), mauresmo and dechy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts