Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sports.ru/tennis/1029692740.html

Russian gamesmanship, after Novy Urengoy, a new tennis Mecca has been discovered in Vladivostok.

Probably even the Russian players will refuse to get there never mind the Spanish.

Still interesting what the line up going to be.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Why would the choice for Vladivostok entail gamesmanship? The players are used to travilling to and fro and if my rudimentary Russian comprehension is up to speed they will play on a hardcourt similar to the one used in the Kremlin Cup. Also, no players seem to have declined playing as of yet.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
:haha: :haha: amazing trolling

well played Bratushki, well played :lol:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would the choice for Vladivostok entail gamesmanship? The players are used to travilling to and fro and if my rudimentary Russian comprehension is up to speed they will play on a hardcourt similar to the one used in the Kremlin Cup. Also, no players seem to have declined playing as of yet.
Yes of course everyone enjoys a 14000 kilometer and 10 time zone trip for a weekend (that's from Spain)

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Yes of course everyone enjoys a 14000 kilometer and 10 time zone trip for a weekend (that's from Spain)
Of course not, but the Russians themselves will have to travel quite far too and the travelling itself is an ingrained part of tennis. As far as 'gamesmanship' goes this is very tame.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
Vladivostok? Seriously, the farthest big city in the Russian Federation? Almost in Alaska?
Then why not on a small island in the Pacific Ocean?

Those Russian officials truly gone berserk.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if people here don't understand that the problem is not "playing in the Russian periphery" if you will. But it's the fact that it makes absolutely no logistical of financial sense for any party involved.

The only sense it makes is to piss off the Spanish, whose top players clearly won't go and win the tie vs with no players in top 60.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
LOL. Vladivostok is practically in Japan (it actually was inside the Japanese territory at one point before WWII, IIRC).
No, it's not. It's part on the Asian mainland territory of Russia, Far East (its name is translated as "ruler of the East", meaning who controls this city is controlling the Asian Far East), located at the head of the Golden Horn Bay, not far from Russia's borders with China and North Korea.
And it was never Japanese territory, though Japanese forces arrived along with other allied troops after 1918 during the Russian Civil War, were evacuated in 1922.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
The Davis Cup tie will be five days after the final of Wimbledon, and other than Nadal (perhaps) the other players will be eliminated several days before the final at the least and will thus have more than enough time to travel to Vladivostok and acclimatise. The logistical and the financial cost may or may not be great, but they are apparently acceptable to the Russian federation and it is their responsibility if it blows up in their face and their own players won't come. Still, as far as sabotage/gamesmanship goes this is quite a weak move. Or should we complain if the US were to play in a city on the west coast or, God forbid, Hawaii?

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
Or should we complain if the US were to play in a city on the west coast or, God forbid, Hawaii?
Yeah Hawaii or American Samoa would be some hilarious choice for them.

:haha:

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
fans from Japan would have it close for the match

Anyway while it does look like trolling, can't blame the country for being big :lol: This city is over half a million inhabitants (as big as the one i live in now... and it had DC too). Why some Russian citizens must be sport deprived because all events are in Europe? USA also holds DCs and Fedcups in some forgotten places to make sure tennis is available to all people. Actually I think all countries do it. Only in the Czech Rep it's either Prague or Ostrava :p

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Yeah Hawaii or American Samoa would be some hilarious choice for them.

:haha:
Why would it be hilarious? The host is free to choose any venue that is fit for hosting such an event within its territory. By your logic, Australia hosting an event is in itself trolling the opponent because for the most part it would be across the globe for the opposing team.

I'd guess most national tennis assocations have a number of things they consider when choosing a venue for the tie. If you thibnk about it for a minute or two, you can come up with a few yourself.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
Why would it be hilarious? The host is free to choose any venue that is fit for hosting such an event within its territory.
I know, though choosing an oversea territory for the Americans would be huge trolling against their own team as well, for obvious reasons. ;)

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
1 - 20 of 88 Posts