Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came to the stadium when it was 3-3 in the first set , to my surprise it was David vs Marat instead of Gaston and another surprise was seeing Zhenya with the rest of the team supporting Marat, Misha wasn't there so that meant that if Marat lost Zhenya wouldn't have played.

Now on to the game: From 3-3 in the first set both players held their serves though almost every game was very close and it went on to a tie-break where Marat had a real advantage, he was playing with a lot of confidence hitting the ball very long, you could just see that before he hit the ball that he wasn't going to miss anything, he was running very well, was very focused, didn't seem tired from yesterday. he won it 7-3 with a beautiful short crosscourt passing shot.
By the middle of the first set the stadium was full, most people supporting Marat of course, exept for two Argentinian groups I've mentioned before and about 6 Armenians who were shouting out words of encouragement to David (in Armenian of course, doubt that he understood though)
In the second set Marat continued playing extremely well, took a break at 1-1 and it looked very well, when it was 4-3 on Marat's serve ,30-30 David made an simple drop shot volley error, and everyone thought that game would go to Marat too because even the luck was on his side but no, something happened to him, probably it was a loss of concentration, I don't know, he started making unforced errors, hitting a meter long from the forehand, he lost that game and was lucky to make it to the tie-break, but David was better, one break of serve (the first point) in the tie-break was enough for him to win it with a beautiful drop shot. Marat hit the racket in the ground and got a warning.
Marat won the third set 6-0, David just couldn't do anything with the serves and powerful game. They showed the serve statistics at one point on the board, Marat had 74 % first serves, 20 aces, 0 df :)
Marat then won two more games, but then that he looked as if he was very afraid to hit an error, wasn't leading in the points anymore, David took the first opportunity and broke Marat, held his serve and then took another break. By that time David was arguing after EVERY shot close to the line, it became pretty anoying. Marat probably looked at the scoreboard and realised he didn't wasnt the fifth set, he then won 3 games in a row to make it 5-3 it was deuce three times and every time at deuce Marat made an ace. After the last point Marat fell on the ground, then gave a hug to Tarpishev, aknowledged the crowd, the whole team came on court, Zhenya hugged Marat and lifted him :D, then put him back and the whole team lifted him and started thowing him in the air :), then they left. In about 5 minutes both of them appeared in the VIP balcony where Yeltsin was sitting, they hugged him and posed for photographs :)

Chela - Youzhny
I watched the first set and a half. In the begging my favourite announcer (see previous report) said Chela - born in year 39... everyone started laughing...then he said "I appologise, born in 1979" at least he realised...
Zhenya was watching that match on that balcony with Yeltsin, Marat later joined them
Chela had an advantage in the first set, he took a break and seemed quite comfortable but then at 5-4 (I think) Misha broke, he was just hitting the returns as hard as he could, right at the lines.. In the tie-break Misha was leading but Chela fought back and won it.
He lead in the second set too with a break and then I left...

Hope you liked my reports, pics coming soon :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The scoreboard says:

Russia 3 Argentina 1
Congratulations to Russia on making the finals of 2002
The final France vs Russia will be on November 29- December 1
Good luck in the finals

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention- David was crying after the match :sad: Poor him but Marat was better today

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
another surprise was seeing Zhenya with the rest of the team supporting Marat, Misha wasn't there so that meant that if Marat lost Zhenya wouldn't have played.
Forgive me, but you lost me on the short forms. So Kafelnikov was with the rest of the team - why is this surprising :confused:?

Who is Misha? Why would Kafelnikov not have played :confused:

Youhzny is Misha?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Misha= Mikhail Youzhny

Well players don't usually watch matches before they have to play- they are getting ready for their match, warming up etc. If Zhenya (Yevgeny ;) ) was at the match that meant he wasn't going to play

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want me to post more photos of any player, I'll do so as I have a bunch more :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts