Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has imposed a four-year ban on Russia from all global sport, including the 2020 Olympics and the 2022 World Cup finals. WADA's executive committee took the decision after concluding Moscow had tampered with laboratory data.

The agency found Russia planted fake evidence and deleted files linked to positive doping tests that could have helped identify drug cheats.

Russia has 21 days to appeal the decision through the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

·
The special one
13,764 Posts
No surprise at all they've been banned from the Olympics, a little surprised they're banned from the WC though. Hopefully Medvedev will still manage to compete as a independent athlete.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Obviously political. Did Russia do this? Maybe they did. Are other countries better than that thouh? Highly unlikely.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So, I heard that Russian athletes will still be able to compete at the Olympics, but under a neutral flag. I wonder if the same will be true for tennis players. Would be quite strange given the number of quality Russians in both the men's and women's games.

·
Registered
26,776 Posts
Ever since Olympics 1980, I knew politics will ruin sport sooner or later. Ever thought of the reason why some athletes were robbed of a chance to compete for the only Olympics gold medal thy could get? Because Soviet Union got into Afganistan! Initiated by the United States, how ironic!

·
Registered
26,776 Posts
while I understand the sentiment, where is the evidence of state involvement in doping in western countries?
Last year the Austrian police entered the room in a hotel where bunch of biathlonists were going through a doping procedure. Heard about it? There were a couple of Kazaks there, that's why I heard. But it was mostly Latvian athletes and some Austrians too.

You think Russian sport officials differ much from at least any of the former Soviet Union ones? For sure Ukrainians.

That's why it's political. And that's why the normal sports fans and sportsmen should show the middle finger to WADA.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Last year the Austrian police entered the room in a hotel where bunch of biathlonists were going through a doping procedure. Heard about it? There were a couple of Kazaks there, that's why I heard. But it was mostly Latvian athletes and some Austrians too.

You think Russian sport officials differ much from at least any of the former Soviet Union ones? For sure Ukrainians.

That's why it's political. And that's why the normal sports fans and sportsmen should show the middle finger to WADA.
I've not heard about this case before, but it seems like it is still under investigation. Besides this does not seem to be the rather huge cover up and involvement of officials in doping with Russia. and my point was there is no evidence that other countries have done this, certainly not on the same scale. If you are going to accuse them of bias, show me evidence that there is some similar cases being ignored. There are countless cases of course from all nations of individual athletes doping but complicity and support at the official level is very serious. Rather than stick a middle finger up to WADA, would it not make sense to pressure them to highlight other countries doping offenses if they too are guilty? Two wrongs don't make a right. whataboutism never solved anything. Already WADA seem not to do enough to combat doping so I don't know why you would want to discourage them from doing more.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So, I heard that Russian athletes will still be able to compete at the Olympics, but under a neutral flag. I wonder if the same will be true for tennis players. ....
Obviously the tennis players who are athletes could compete under a neutral flag. Those that aren't athletes may be out of luck. Which I suppose makes sense as non-athelete tennis players are the ones that would be most in need of doping.

Because all athletes are tennis players but not all tennis players are athletes... Oh wait, maybe I got that backwards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts