Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
…and not wait for them to fade out.

Surely we’ve gone past that and the big 3 have faded. Anything from here is not going to be as glorious as what Murray or Wawrinka did. Those guys won slams when the big 3 were still beasts.

Zverev, Tsitsipas, Thiem and Medvedev are getting hyped but they still haven’t pushed through despite the big 3 being on their last legs.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rafa is more consistent at the slams now than any stage of his career, so he's not on his "last legs".
Not a Nadal fan, but let's be real this Nadal is not a patch on the 2010 or 2013 Nadal. The fact he is consistent is just because of experience and the gulf in class between the big 3 and the field.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Not a Nadal fan, but let's be real this Nadal is not a patch on the 2010 or 2013 Nadal. The fact he is consistent is just because of experience and the gulf in class between the big 3 and the field.
TBh his game improved hence he is more consistent now in slams, using more aggressive ball bashing with some of his old defense.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
…and not wait for them to fade out.

Surely we’ve gone past that and the big 3 have faded.
Agreed, the youngest of the lot is now 32 years old, he lost to Hyeon Chung once and Dominic Thiem a few times but other than that he is losing to Stan Wawrinka.

Rafa Nadal is 33, losing to Novak Djokovic or players who have a slam title (JM Del Potro, Marin Cilic). Anyway Rafa is due for a sharp decline very soon IMO.

Roger Federer lost to Stefanos Tsitsipas and Grigor Dimitrov but at 37/38 years old this should be expected.

Sadly these younger players will always be blamed for this, even when they finally win slams they will be blamed for not winning when the big 3 was still all together strong.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i think the sport has developed a lot, in no small part because of the Big3. They have not only raised the level, but also everything is more sophisticated.
It used to be very difficult to win a GS after the age of 30, now it is the opposite, it is difficult to win one when you are still young and lack experience.
so in generall players will peak later, but also be able to have longer careers.
Federer is a phenomenon, i don't think Nadal and Djokovic can play that long. But they have a couple of good years in them still, if they avoid major injuries.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Agree with Rusedski on this one. The younger guys should be winning slams with the big 3 still playing.

·
|
15,360 Posts
When did I say he was as good as 2010 and 2013?
I never said that.
Here is a direct quote from my post- "Rafa is more consistent at the slams now than any stage of his career".
Consistency is the reason why he's clearly not on his "last legs".
He's giving himself chances to win every slam on the calendar, while the young guns continue to be the opposite of consistent at slams.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Translation: I want to see the young guns kick these old farts out the door!!

·
Your visions will happen
49,320 Posts
i think the sport has developed a lot, in no small part because of the Big3. They have not only raised the level, but also everything is more sophisticated.
It used to be very difficult to win a GS after the age of 30, now it is the opposite, it is difficult to win one when you are still young and lack experience.
so in generall players will peak later, but also be able to have longer careers.
Federer is a phenomenon, i don't think Nadal and Djokovic can play that long. But they have a couple of good years in them still, if they avoid major injuries.
Yes it is for the better too imo. Used to be guys peak from age 17-25 and retire at 30. Now, guys don't peak until 25 and then play until 35+

1 - 13 of 13 Posts