Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If there is a team cup, I'd love to see Federer and Wawrinka team up one last time (if Switzerland is eligible to compete). Would be good preparation for Federer especially.

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Why March? That would be just too much and could upset the early ATP calendar completely. Better February then, please

Reactions: ivanban

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
If it turns out to b well into March or early April, it would affect the Clay season the most which means out of big 3, Nadal, having to transition much quicker to Clay. So in this scenario, i wouldn’t b surprised to see him skip Melbourne or Fedovic skipping FO to prepare for WB.

·
F***ing have it
17,627 Posts
February please. Current february tournaments could be the warm-ups in january

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Latest (unofficial) AO Update:
International players will be able to quarantine from Jan 7-21 supervised by Victoria Police & will be able to practice but not compete. Jan 25 or Feb 1 start to be confirmed, & decision still to be made on Qualies & lead in tournament/s.

So no ATP Cup, Auckland, Adelaide... or maybe squeeze one in if they push AO start to Feb 1st.
As I thought, they'll sacrifice all the lead-up tournaments so they can put AO together. Makes sense.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
DELETE

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
What’s the point in moving up a little to Jan end. Just wipe out that month & start somewhere in Feb even if it means either IW or Miami may have to b compromised being obviously less significant.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Latest (unofficial) AO Update:
International players will be able to quarantine from Jan 7-21 supervised by Victoria Police & will be able to practice but not compete. Jan 25 or Feb 1 start to be confirmed, & decision still to be made on Qualies & lead in tournament/s.

So no ATP Cup, Auckland, Adelaide... or maybe squeeze one in if they push AO start to Feb 1st.
As I thought, they'll sacrifice all the lead-up tournaments, so they can put AO together. Makes sense.
Makes sense from their POV, but not for the ATP calendar.
At least ATP Cup still should be held, that is an important individual/team event where players can play in singles and doubles and fight for their own country.

OTOH, I am very content that they don't push AO for March or start of April which was also rumored before.
I would be totally satisfied if they would hold AO in mid Feb, but ATP Cup and maybe one other 250 (e.g. Adelaide) could be held sometime in January/start of Feb.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pakula said harsh discussion are processing between Victoria Governement, Tennis Australia and ATP/WTA.

So far Victoria state is firm about 14 days quarantine and no official play during quarantine, not that clear if they can accept training during quarantine.

COVID regulation actually forbid any International Entrance before end of December at the earliest.

Tennis Australia sounds like agreeing but asking for allowing training during quarantine in an earlier paper.

ATP/WTA are probably not agreeing that much if there still have harsh discussions.

Pakula also said he thinks the delay SHOULD BE rather one or two weeks than month(s). But he also mentionned what happened to French Open and Wimbledon last year.

No crystal ball here but some predictions :

Quarantined 2 first weeks of January (with or without training)

Warm up event in Victoria from 01/18 or 01/25 : standard ATP Cup or 8 Team ATP Cup + 250 (both option were rumoured earlier)

AO from 01/25 or 02/01

·
Banned
70,522 Posts
i don´t know why they want to delay it

it´still november...there is enough time to hold it in january

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i don´t know why they want to delay it

it´still november...there is enough time to hold it in january
Because Victoria State does not allow players to enter its territory before January and seems to forbid training on court during quarantine so before mid January.

And looks like Tennis Australia ATP and WTA want at least a warm up event before AO or a week training and a warm up event.

Probably because International players should not arrive rusty compared to locals and we can have a fairer competition.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts