Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am wondering, why Paul Henri Mathieu got Djokovic's spot in the Main Draw after his withdrawal.

Of course, I am aware of the following statement in the ATP rulebook over at VII. The Competition / 7.20 Lucky Losers, Substitutions and Vacancies / E. Qualifying started or finished / 1) During Qualifying Competition (page 106):

If a lucky loser position should become available during the qualifying competition, it shall be treated the same as the qualifying places for placement in the main draw.
but the following sentence then states:
If a seeded player or team withdraws after the main draw has been made but prior to the release of the order of play for the first day of main draw in that event, the vacancy created by the withdrawal of a seed shall be filled by the following method:
c) 56 Draw: If the vacancy involves a seed #1-8, then seed #9 moves to the vacated seed position and the next highest positioned player or team in the main draw eligible to be seeded shall be placed in the position vacated by the #9 seed. The appropriate lucky loser shall fill the remaining vacancy.
why was this not applied here?

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Re: rule question: why did PHM [Q] get Djokovic's positin in Madrid MD?

They played three main draw matches yesterday, so the OOP for the first day was already released.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts

Indeed, CK is right. The main draw had already started to be played, so they could not have moved any player already placed in the main draw.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ah okay. thats makes sense. thanks! :) i forgot that MD play already started yesterday..

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Paulo taking place of a 2nd seed, grabbing some free points and good money. :lol: Like a boss.

After many tragedies and bad luck during his carrer he deserves some luck. Just like this chunk of good luck here in Madrid. ;)
Playing Čilič or Sousa next, at his best he could beat them both.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Paulo taking place of a 2nd seed, grabbing some free points and good money. :lol: Like a boss.

After many tragedies and bad luck during his carrer he deserves some luck. Just like this chunk of good luck here in Madrid. ;)
Playing Čilič or Sousa next, at his best he could beat them both.
He ain't getting any free points.;)

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
He ain't getting any free points.;)
What? :unsure: If he loses in 2nd round he gets 24005€ and 45 points, no?

By "free points" I meant he won't have to play his 1st round match. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
What? :unsure: If he loses in 2nd round he gets 24005€ and 45 points, no?

By "free points" I meant he won't have to play his 1st round match. :)
He just gets the money and points for the successful qualification, until he actually wins a round IMHO.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So Djoko basically messed up the draw by waiting one day too late to make his w/drawl known. 'ish' happens, just gotta roll w/it. but thanks for starting the thread cuz i was wondering the same thing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts