Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot who here had a big bet on Massu to be coach of the year, well I strongly agreed with this bet and am surprised at this choice, didn't see it coming.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Massu robbed.

I wanted to make that bet really badly but couldn't. Lucked out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forgot who here had a big bet on Massu to be coach of the year, well I strongly agreed with this bet and am surprised at this choice, didn't see it coming.
Here i am hahaha. Very angry that Massu was robbed and i never expected Rublev to win two awards while Thiem nothing. Seems that ATP250 are more significant than Grand Slam title and finals. That was absolutely a joke

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Honestly, nothing wrong with that.

Thiem played 7 tournaments all year:
3 Slams (F, W, QF) and ATP finals (F).
Tanked the other 3 in disgusting fashion.

He did great in the 4 big tournaments and his tennis improved a lot, credit to Massu. But we knew Thiem has it in him, it was just a matter of time.

Rublev unexpectedly won 5 titles. This is a much bigger surprise. His game, despite being a bit one-dimensional, is much better that what it was in 2019 and is now very consistent. I think he improved more in 2020 than Thiem did (debatable, of course).

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Honestly, nothing wrong with that.

Thiem played 7 tournaments all year:
3 Slams (F, W, QF) and ATP finals (F).
Tanked the other 3 in disgusting fashion.

He did great in the 4 big tournaments and his tennis improved a lot, credit to Massu. But we knew Thiem has it in him, it was just a matter of time.

Rublev unexpectedly won 5 titles. This is a much bigger surprise. His game, despite being a bit one-dimensional, is much better that what it was in 2019 and is now very consistent. I think he improved more in 2020 than Thiem did (debatable, of course).
This isn't about more improved though. And you could argue the step Thiem took was bigger in sum than Rublev's.

Massu definitely COY imo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here i am hahaha. Very angry that Massu was robbed and i never expected Rublev to win two awards while Thiem nothing. Seems that ATP250 are more significant than Grand Slam title and finals. That was absolutely a joke
RIP.

I could have thrown 1k on this bet if I had it available somewhere.

The reason why I was confident Massu would win is partly because he didn't get it last year, Medvedev's coach deserved it though but I really thought Massu would get it eventually, Thiem matured a lot since he is working with Massu, his game on hardcourt dramatically improved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This isn't about more improved though. And you could argue the step Thiem took was bigger in sum than Rublev's.

Exactly. Have in mind that 2 years ago Vajda won that award. So its not about the most improved player
RIP.

I could have thrown 1k on this bet if I had it available somewhere.

The reason why I was confident Massu would win is partly because he didn't get it last year, Medvedev's coach deserved it though but I really thought Massu would get it eventually, Thiem matured a lot since he is working with Massu, his game on hardcourt dramatically improved.
Exactly for these reasons i was confident he deserved it. Also rublev in terms of tactic is not something special. Also 1 GS WIN 1 GS FINAL and Nitto Finalist is much more difficult to achieve than 2 500 and 3 250 titles. But that's Just my point of view

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Well-deserved. Rublev really left his mark on this strange season.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts

Yea, but what's a coach's role? To improve the player, right? 🤷‍♂️
Massu has an advantage over Vicente as well, because Thiem is way more talented. Think about it this way: it's easier to win a drag race when you are driving a Nissan GT-R.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well-deserved. Rublev really left his mark on this strange season.
Thiem was the only player winning a Slam except big3 after Wawrinka Us open. Rublev also won Most Improved player award. Not worth the try to convince you that winning a Slam is better than multiples 250Atp titles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea, but what's a coach's role? To improve the player, right? 🤷‍♂️
Massu has an advantage over Vicente as well, because Thiem is way more talented. Think about it this way: it's easier to win a drag race when you are driving a Nissan GT-R.
What about Vajda winning it 2 years ago. I Guess Djokovic is Fiat Multipla...

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Exactly. Have in mind that 2 years ago Vajda won that award. So its not about the most improved player
So let's say Djokovic makes me his coach for 2021 and he goes to win 3/4 Slams. Does this mean I'm the best coach?
In your opinion, what are the factors that make a great coach? The player's results or how much the player improved in a certain period of time?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So let's say Djokovic makes me his coach for 2021 and he goes to win 3/4 Slams. Does this mean I'm the best coach?
In your opinion, what are the factors that make a great coach? The player's results or how much the player improved in a certain period of time?
Thiem improved MASSIVELY in the Last two years. He is now a potential No1 and a big threat for the slams. Rublev otherwise is a brainless player who was clowning at big stages tournaments

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Thiem improved MASSIVELY in the Last two years. He is now a potential No1 and a big threat for the slams. Rublev otherwise is a brainless player who was clowning at big stages tournaments
What a response. Why do I even bother? You just don't get it.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
I admit I sometimes doubt Vajda's impact but after Vajda rejoined the team in 2018, King won two slams, completed the career masters and finished the year as #1. So on paper it looked good for him considering where King's form and mentality was before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What a response. Why do I even bother? You just don't get it.
Didnt hear you say anything before the results. Vicente was at @5.00. I Guess you didn't expect him to win also. Trying to convince me i was wrong now that the results are out is Just pathetic.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Thiem was the only player winning a Slam except big3 after Wawrinka Us open. Rublev also won Most Improved player award. Not worth the try to convince you that winning a Slam is better than multiples 250Atp titles
Sure, but I think it has to do with Rublev establishing himself as a top player by improving whereas Thiem did something the world of tennis has been waiting for for years now.

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
Yeah, probably well deserved in the end.

Massu will be my favourite (for obvious reasons) and he has a point too for leading the first non-BIG3 player to winning a slam since 2016, but I believe what Vicente did with Rublev was magnificent.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts