Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer out with injury means qualification cut is #9 with St Petersburg Vienna and Paris to be played at best.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
This WTF is so strange, Berretini who has no form this year at all will get in....

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Haven't checked the Race yet, but that would be pretty nice (and obviously deserved). Hopefully Berrettini is also kicked out, he has no business to vulture another spot at the TFs.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This WTF is so strange, Berretini who has no form this year at all will get in....
Haven't checked the Race yet, but that would be pretty nice (and obviously deserved). Hopefully Berrettini is also kicked out, he has no business to vulture another spot at the TFs.
Problem is weird decision to keep 2019 points in 2020 Race....

Can understand it for Technical ATP ranking so that some players are not fucked by some cancelation like Grass Season but it is very weird for Race...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Situation as I see it:

1) Djokovic 2) Nadal 3) Thiem 4) Medvedev 5) Zverev
are guaranteed to go qualify.

6) Tsitsipas is almost certain to qualify

This leaves two spots, and Rublev is in a great position to grab one of them.
The other strong contenders would be Berrettini, Monfils, Shapovalov, RBA, and Schwartzman
Other players with a reasonable chance: Goffin, PCB, Khachanov, and Dimitrov

My prediction: Rublev and Shapovalov will grab the last two spots (not so sure about Shapovalov though)

·
Your visions will happen
48,551 Posts
Would be a shame for Mateo to make YEC as he is not even top 20!!! in the season in points won in calendar year 2020

I'd like to see Rublev and Shapo make those final 2 spots instead of Mateo and Monfils who are both currently qualified

But we gonna see, still lots of points available even after RG for the contenders. Should come down to Paris in the end as always

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Would be a shame for Mateo to make YEC as he is not even top 20!!! in the season in points won in calendar year 2020

I'd like to see Rublev and Shapo make those final 2 spots instead of Mateo and Monfils who are both currently qualified

But we gonna see, still lots of points available even after RG for the contenders. Should come down to Paris in the end as always
Indeed, anyone but Berrettini. I'm willing to root heavily for Schwartzman in all post-RG tournaments just so he overtakes UEtini.

·
Your visions will happen
48,551 Posts
Indeed, anyone but Berrettini. I'm willing to root heavily for Schwartzman in all post-RG tournaments just so he overtakes UEtini.
Carreno Busta can make it, even Dimitrov depending how he does this week

·
Registered
245 Posts
This decision to keep points from 2019 was a terrible one, in my view, with a benefit of hindsight. It creates too much unfairness. Maybe the decision to count only points from 2020 wouldn't be perfect as well but it would be better. The cases of Federer and Berrettini compromise the current system.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This decision to keep points from 2019 was a terrible one, in my view, with a benefit of hindsight. It creates too much unfairness. Maybe the decision to count only points from 2020 wouldn't be perfect as well but it would be better. The cases of Federer and Berrettini compromise the current system.
TBH, removing 2019 points from Federer means he would be far outside top 10 with a competitive opponent from R16.

Even if I am pretty sure he will not come back, this would have meant no Federer in later stages of Big Tournaments, what ATP (I mean Tournaments directors part of ATP) can not afford.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Rublev has a good shot at qualifying, he should take his opportunity in the FO and go as far as he can(at least QF) and try too put some distance between himself and other competitors.

·
Your visions will happen
48,551 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Race and ranking should have been completely separate this year imo. Save your ranking points but race should have been 2020 only.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sascha owns Rublev so he would be a very welcome addition to the field :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts