Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know actually which is my best surface, but like I said for me clay is the surface where there is real tennis. Where you have to be physically fit, where you have to be smart, how to play, where to play. On clay it not really happens some lucky things that can happen on hardcourt that the guy serves so good one game and then he makes one return out of nowhere, a winner on an important moment. On clay normally it's not going to happen, so on clay you have to be really fit to play each point, to play in the right directions, and you need to go and really get the guys.

Rublev woke up and chose facts :cool:

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Except in Madrid :)

Interesting how he talks about being 100% fit, i am yet to be convinced he would win a 4 hours armwrestle against a top player but maybe this is the year.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
This guy's just trying to soften up the field (esp. Claybots) using some PC psychology when he has to go up against them for remainder of Clay season. He'll say almost identical thing about Grass IF he upsets a top player on Grass to advance to a final & the like. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
He's absolutely right. Clay is where the real tennis is played as you can't rely on just servebotting or a 1-2 big serve/forehand punch to finish off points. You have to construct points in a patient manner and also be physically and mentally fit to play for 3 hours for several matches if necessary.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
İ see no lies.Boy is a smart one

ps.Hard also good,but clay is better,imo.Grasshit for sure is the true evil of tennis.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's strange Rublev is saying that, considering overall he had (slightly) better results on hard court rather than clay.

I am not sure one surface can be better than the other. One of the great things about tennis is that it can be played on different surfaces

·
Fake News
1,262 Posts
We only play tennis on hardcourts because they're cheaper and easier to maintain, real tennis is played on natural surfaces and clay is superior to grass.

·
Your visions will happen
51,352 Posts
Clay is my favorite surface, even though 2/3rds of my career titles are on hard, so good for the body compared to hard courts. Love the battle and the point construction and not just botting

·
Registered
600 Posts
Everyone knows this is BS.

If you want a pure form of tennis look no further than indoors HC tennis. There is plenty of lucky bounces and elements involved in clay tennis.

You can be a talentless moonballer with limitless stamina and be great on clay but it takes actual talent and skill to be good indoors and on other surfaces.

Clay is great for developing the fundamentals of the game when you are a beginner but once you have developed those you move on to advanced surfaces like HC and grass where advanced skills are required.

In many ways clay is a surface for beginners. A kind of tennis kindergarten.

But I'm not surprised Mickey Mouselev would say this given the one-dimensional ball basher he is. In many ways he is still a toddler in tennis.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Oh geez, the "real tennis" wars are back. :rolleyes:

How can he say there are no lucky/unlucky bounces on natural surfaces?

Will be funny if he loses in first round of RG.

·
Registered
337 Posts
He is 110% correct! Clay is the runaway #1.

With that said, grass takes a lot skill as well. You're forced to get low, anticipate many awkward bounces and rush the net.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Funny to see claytards shitting on grass as if hardcourt weren't the enemy
Lol.What is funny?For me both ahrd and clay exciting\interesting surfaces.
Grass is the shittiest and the most disgusting surface./fact.
Deal with it.Sry to tell u the truth,mate

Only the second week of the WB can deliver some sort of tennis because of what its turf will turn into

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
It's strange Rublev is saying that, considering overall he had (slightly) better results on hard court rather than clay.

I am not sure one surface can be better than the other. One of the great things about tennis is that it can be played on different surfaces
When u defeat the Clay king you're liable to say (& excused for it) anything supporting the surface of the moment. This exhuberant overachiever so badly wants any big title that he would say exact same about specific surface were he to beat Fed on Grass or Novak on HC.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Clay is about who can bash the longest without falling over and no surprise the Bicep takes all titles there. Grass however is about touch, variety, artistry and no surprise the GOAT takes all titles there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts