Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Gonzalez was truly awful in the first set. He was a little better in the second, but Andy was playing quite well throughout.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Roddick is qualified, isn't he ?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Gonzo :sad:

So if Gonzo beats Davydenko next, does it mean that Federer may not qualify even if he beats Roddick, as they will all be 2-1?

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Roddick has to be happy about the number of games in this match, should it come down to that.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
This TMC gets better by the second. Gonzo must have used up his quota of killer slices on Federer.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Poor match by Gonzo.
Good match by Andy.
That sums it up pretty well. Andy looked really sharp. Fena was having a hard time standing up at times- he fell down three time sin the first set.

I guess Gonzo's only hope is that Andy beats Feds and he beats Davy- which I don't think will happen, even if Andy is looking good.

So if Gonzo beats Davydenko next, does it mean that Federer may not qualify even if he beats Roddick, as they will all be 2-1?
Do they do head to head first or games won?

Maybe

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Gonzalez was absolutely horrible today. However, this straight sets win for Roddick makes Friday's matches very exciting with Federer also under pressure to qualify

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Gonzo :sad:

If Fed str8 sets Roddick he will qualify, I think Fed needs to str8 sets Roddick if he wants to qualify.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I only saw the last 8 games, looked too good from Roddick. I'm sad Gonzalez lost but very happy Roddick is playing fantastic tennis again based on these 2 matches.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
great stuff form clownzalez :worship:

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Great stuff Andy :yeah:

Returned really well, and seemed to be getting a bit more pace on the backhand. Excellent tactics as well. Flawless display, Gonzalez on the other hand looked like he was hungover.

Now put Federer out ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As for the match. Gonzalez has definitely been drunk the last 2 days. He has trouble even staying on his feet.
Sure Roddick has been serving well, but plenty of his serves were on Gonzalez racket. Gonzo should've done more with those. But like I presume, he wass seeing more than 1 ball during the match.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If Fed str8 sets Roddick he will qualify, I think Fed needs to str8 sets Roddick if he wants to qualify.
For once there's bad news for Federer in his matchup against Roddick. Roddick just gained lots of confidence after this win against Gonzalez that edged out Fed the other day. Federer is not playing anywhere near his best tennis. Federer is expected to be fresh after early exits in his previous tournaments, but he looks a bit more out of his rhythm. His backhand was seriously off today. If Roddick is able to take advantage of that, he could very well push it to 3 sets and perhaps even win based on their performances today. Regardless, I think that a 3-setter against Fed would give Roddick enough to advance in his group.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
:awww: I was worried about Fernando keeping up his intensity after beating Roger. From the stats, it looks like Fena wasn't able to make a dent in Andy's serve. Hopefully he will be back in form to play Davedenko (who may have some pride on the line at 0-2...)

:hatoff: Andy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gonzo's looking very odd today.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Only caught the end of the match, so I can't say anything about the way both played, but I am happy that Roddick won.

In on court interview, which you can watch on Shanghai Sports via TVUPlayer stream, he mentioned that he's excited to meet Federer again and that he'll try to beat him. Don't know, though, what to think of the impression on his face. Didn't look very serious at first, when he said that. :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts