Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very good match to open

Gasquet started the better of the two but Nadal dug in and the final set came down to one poor game where Gasquet made some bad choices and Nadal pounced. Other than that it was nip/tuck and there were some entertaining and sensational rallies, including a ridiculous backhand smash type winner off a Nadal smash, from way behind the baseline, sailing past Nadal at the net.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Really entertaining match, you just knew from the get go though that Gasquet would blow it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Tough battle, which is what these matches are supposed to be. You know, with them all being in the top 8 and all that...:rolleyes:

So congrats to both men. And an extra congrats to Rafa for making it through on the winning end. :)

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Slightly better from Rafa, although I missed the 1st set and watched the rest with a hangover so it might be the alcohol talking....he probably sucked ;)

Ok no seriously.....My only complaint is he's relying too heavily on his opponent making errors to win matches. I know there has always been part of his game (and some on MTF will say it's the only way he can win), but he's doing it more than ever.

But I'm reasonably satisfied, it's a match he could have lost :)

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Pretty good match with many spectacular points from both players. :)

I liked the graphic showing the change (between 1st and 2nd set) in Nadal's tactics in terms of returning serve in the deuce court out wide (which Gasquet was using effectively in the 1st set), by moving closer to the baseline :yeah:.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well done Rafa.
Richard :sad:
I just hope that like we saw a fat Dave becoming a fit Dave,we'll see Richard becoming a fit Richard in the future.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well done Rafa.
Richard :sad:
I just hope that like we saw a fat Dave becoming a fit Dave,we'll see Richard becoming a fit Richard in the future.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Poor match imo. Nadal looked out of sorts, but not exactly surprised to Gasquet blow a great chance

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Very good match? :lol:

I must have watched a different match, but both looked very ordinary out there to me. Rafa will need to play 100 times better than this to progress further imo. Gasquet is as soft as a fucking feather, nothing new.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're welcome to your views - I thought it was a good battle, especially in the final set.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Very good match? :lol:

I must have watched a different match, but both looked very ordinary out there to me. Rafa will need to play 100 times better than this to progress further imo. Gasquet is as soft as a fucking feather, nothing new.
Nadal should enjoy this win because it will probably be one of his last ones on Gasquet on hardcourt.

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
Seems like Gasquet's serve started to decline while Nadal started serving better after the first set. Oh well. At least it was competitive. :lol:

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
adeegee said:
My only complaint is he's relying too heavily on his opponent making errors to win matches
I so agree with that. :(

I didn't see the entire match (overslept :eek: ) but the commentator said that one of the reasons why the match turned was that Rafa found a way to deal with Gasquet's famous backhand and he started to come to the net more with increasing success.
Entertaining match by the looks of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I thought it was a pretty entertaining match, well done to Rafa. Though Richard did play some excellent shots like that high back hand volley, he did lose it at some points like that smash into the net, he had all that space!

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I saw the whole match. Gasquet started the match serving great and also playing great from the baseline. Nadal was not playing really badly but was being outplayed. Second set Nadal started nervously but Gasquet gave the second break away. Third set was mostly Nadal serving well and generally taking control although Gasquet hit some spectacular winners.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nadal should enjoy this win because it will probably be one of his last ones on Gasquet on hardcourt.
Nadal was rubbish today by his standards and still Gas didnt get close to winning.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Terible barrage of moonball tennis. Gasgay's forehand is a fucken joke besides the occasional wild winner he can hit.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts