Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Interesting link, thanks. I was aware that Fed and Nadal were pretty similar on spin, but the detail was quite fascinating.

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
I read it, but don't really understand what new things this article is trying to tell me.

Fed hits with spin, but still much less than Rafa does..?!

Still, good read. Person knows tennis who wrote it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it, but don't really understand what new things this article is trying to tell me.

Fed hits with spin, but still much less than Rafa does..?!

Still, good read. Person knows tennis who wrote it.
I believe the author tried to prove that it's a myth that Nadal hits with RPMs way higher than anyone, rather he does hit with some 20% more and goes for higher net clearance, which makes his shots explode of the court in a way that they bounce high - in Fed's case, his spin is manifest through court penetration. There is a video of two guys training with Fed prior to 2015 (I think) ATP finals, in which they discuss how is it to play him. They are surprised how much topspin his shots have, contrary to a popular belief.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Interesting article. I'm surprised about Bruguera having similar spin numbers as Nadal, even though Bruguera didn't have that technology Nadal uses.

Also, what's a color commentator?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Also, what's a color commentator?
One who provides a play-by-play description, i.e. describing the game as it's happening. Funny how it's pretty much not a thing in tennis, where the commentators' job is to be silent during the point and praiseworthy afterwards, calling on a set of banalities and platitudes (what a shot, could you believe it, etc.)

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Sock and Thiem probably have equal or more than Nadal.

Interesting article. I'm surprised about Bruguera having similar spin numbers as Nadal, even though Bruguera didn't have that technology Nadal uses.
Yeah, that can't be true. It's not just about technology but I just watched a few vids from Bruguera and his racket speed isn't on the same level as Nadal's (or Feds) so it's physically impossible actually.

But I would be curious about Andreev, who had the heaviest FH I ever saw, but he didn't win anything big so people didn't notice.

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
You ever wonder how Federer hits those ridiculously short angle forehands? You can't do that without hitting high RPM shots. Also his ability to half volley is reliant on that heavy forehand flick.

As a high RPM player myself , I completely get it, you need to go for that High RPM nowadays if you want to have a chance.

·
|
15,622 Posts
Rafa loves playing against guys that use heavy top spin, including Jack Sock, Rafa leads 5-0.
Rafa has always enjoyed those heavy top spin rallies, because the ball sits up and gives Rafa plenty of time to hit forehands on the backhand wing.
Plus who wants to play a long rally with Rafa? You should be trying to flatten the ball and finish the point quickly.
Thiem gets destroyed at Roland Garros because he can't hang with Rafa in best-of-5-sets on clay, its too much physically.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Sock and Thiem probably have equal or more than Nadal.

Yeah, that can't be true. It's not just about technology but I just watched a few vids from Bruguera and his racket speed isn't on the same level as Nadal's (or Feds) so it's physically impossible actually.

But I would be curious about Andreev, who had the heaviest FH I ever saw, but he didn't win anything big so people didn't notice.
That's what you are looking for. (y)

Reactions: sdon and guitarra

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a high RPM player myself , I completely get it, you need to go for that High RPM nowadays if you want to have a chance.
Could I ask you about your technique. I myself try to add control into my shots, but I end up losing pace trying to exert topspin, which is not what I want. Any tip is welcome man.

Rafa loves playing against guys that use heavy top spin, including Jack Sock, Rafa leads 5-0.
Rafa has always enjoyed those heavy top spin rallies, because the ball sits up and gives Rafa plenty of time to hit forehands on the backhand wing.
Plus who wants to play a long rally with Rafa? You should be trying to flatten the ball and finish the point quickly.
Thiem gets destroyed at Roland Garros because he can't hang with Rafa in best-of-5-sets on clay, its too much physically.
There is one sentence without word "Rafa", that's not Nadal-a-lot standard, are you ill?

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Could I ask you about your technique. I myself try to add control into my shots, but I end up losing pace trying to exert topspin, which is not what I want. Any tip is welcome man.

There is one sentence without word "Rafa", that's not Nadal-a-lot standard, are you ill?

It's about the grip and body rotation. You need to let your body pivot with the hit and the racquet should end up over your shoulder. Also moving forward with the ball will let you have more pace , instead of just sitting there flat footed and letting your arm doing all the work.

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm surprised about Bruguera having similar spin numbers as Nadal
My tennis coach played a training game against Bruguera (he always brags about it, I heard this story like 150 times already) and he told me that Bruguera's shots were basically blowing you out behind the fence, cause after touching the surface they miraculously bounced as high as 2.5 metres. So I believe in that article.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts