Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of the four bottom half quarterfinalists (Karlovic, Zverev, Llodra) in Rotterdam use serve&volley as their main tactic (especially on the 1st serve), so we will have a lot of s&v action on offer in the next two days. Also Berrer, who lost in the 2nd round to Haase, uses s&v quite often. There's been a lot of talk about the death of this tactic in recent years, so it's nice to see it can still bring some good results also in the bigger tournaments.

Llodra and Karlovic use s&v pretty much all the time after a first serve (quite often on 2nd serve too), Zverev likes to mix it up a little more and sometimes wait for the short reply to attack the net. Karlo and Llodra have the bigger serves, Zverev on the other hand has the best return game of the three. Interesting fact is that two of these guys are lefties. Llodra and Zverev are listed as being 190 cm tall, Ivo is 208.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these matches will turn out in the next two days. It's nice to see some variation in tennis, eventhough I'm not a huge fan of big servers in general.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Re: Rotterdam QF's: S&V back in the spotlight

You're right, it's good for the game. Unfortunately GlennMirnyi can't comment on that here

It's not like the good ol' indoor ice rinks are back, maybe some players understood that serve'n'volleying often gives you a better chance of defeating higher ranked player

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

It's very remarkable indeed, especially because a lot of the players have commented on the surface being quite slow! And isn't that usually not benefitting S/V players? :confused:

Well... it's not a bad sign for the diversity of the game of tennis I'd say.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

It's very remarkable indeed, especially because a lot of the players have commented on the surface being quite slow
Quite right, the bounce is higher than in Marseille. Anyway, there were also many players that are not aware of coming to the net in the later stages, like Mahut or Ancic for example

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Quite right, the bounce is higher than in Marseille. Anyway, there were also many players that are not aware of coming to the net in the later stages, like Mahut or Ancic for example
It's still strange... you'd imagine professional players to immediately recognize a court where it pays to play S/V, but I guess I'm all wrong about that. In all, I'm actually quite pleased to see this style of playing coming back for a bit. Don't think it will last, though.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts

I'm happy because majority of my favourite players (with Krajicek on the top) were playing serve and volley :) Karlovic-Zverev is a very interesting match up for me cause I didn't know that Zverev uses serve & volley tactics. I've seen him only in the last two games of the match against Robredo :(

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts

serve-volley :bowdown:

·
Registered
596 Posts

Its nice to see a nigh on forgotten strategy resurface.
Deboogle, I like your location very amusing!!

·
Registered
32,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

And now we have a classic s&v battle in the semis between Karlovic and Llodra :yeah:

·
Registered
20,212 Posts

And now we have a classic s&v battle in the semis between Karlovic and Llodra :yeah:
I don't remember when the last time two serve-an-volleyer played against each other in the semifinal of an ATP tournament :)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

That's absolutely a match to look forward to! :yeah:

·
Banned
1,472 Posts

That's absolutely a match to look forward to! :yeah:
true, although much better-suited for a first rounder

Karlovic 7-6(11), 7-6(12)

·
Registered
20,212 Posts

Actually,it's not that far,Guccione beat Stepanek at Sydney this year.
I didn't see this match. Was Stepanek going to the net after 2nd serve?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts