Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Have you watched him play? He moves no worse than Coric,has an unstable serve,a great BH......Actually he's kind of a reverse Raonic :)
I watched how tall he is and all I was thinking was how long that would be...............

I mean, his tennis career.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
If we continue like that, than Sascha might get into Top 50 before he turns 19 :).

He may also attack Kohli for german Number One. Boy you're incredibile and it is such a joy to see you play like this. Continue to make us proud! :worship:

·
Registered
622 Posts
A very important win in Zverev's young career this. His level of tennis was good throughout - even when he started cramping he didn't just go all-out attack trying to win points off one shot, he played with controlled-aggression and Simon wasn't getting easy points.

What I found more impressive though for someone his age was his mental-composure. Despite getting a bit juvenile at *4-5 in the first, chucking his racket about despite being well in the match, he was stable throughout against one of the tougher match-players around and I think got in Simon's head a bit. The passage of play from around 3-3 in the 2nd to 4-2 Simon in the third, he wasn't missing a ball. The psychological bonus of holding that 7th game (aided by some bizarre Simon errors) gave Zverev a new lease of life.

Tough come-down today though, finishing at gone midnight local-time and now today to play another tricky opponent who won't give him many free points in Monfils. But i'm sure if the tour wasn't already aware of Zverev, they are after last night.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
He could even still get taller :eek: He needs to build up those legs.

·
23,006 Posts
Winning against Simon as a teenager is one thing. Winning against Simon -- or a Top 20 player in general -- winning a tight 1st Set, losing a 2nd after leading early on, but recovering after a break deficit against Simon who puts players into a trap that they thought they have him but they don't, makes you a true future prospect IMO. From what I see from him, probably the most ATP-tour level match I have seen from Zverev. Was patient and was finding the right time to attack but still being aggressive -- he knew that Simon would be a pest and that he needs to have a steady rhythm. Simon was struggling on serve a bit but his level was steady and waited for Zverev's level to drop. It seems it was inevitable he would lose the 2nd Set and possibly the match (not watching the latter part of the 3rd Set) but to see him coming back from 4-2* with a BP faced on that game? Incredible. Hope he continues his good run, he could go to his 2nd 500-level SF as teenager. Two teenagers with great wins may mean the future may not be bleak.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Great match and I'm very happy for Zverev. His serve needs some work, but I'm sure he'll get better, but for such a tall guy he's a great mover. The comparisons to DelPo are apt, both can move well and both are able stay in rallies and wait for a mistake, not just murder the ball every time it comes to their side. Zverev has an advantage in his backhand, which looks like a very strong shot. Regular rally shot, on the run, passing shot, it's working in every area, and what more, he can attack with it pretty convincingly. Forehand is a rally shot currently, but he can sometimes create a very good angle with the whip, like with the serve again, I hope he'll get only better. His return will be tested today against Motivated Monfils, so let's see what he can do with it.

His mentality is questionable sometimes, but this time he showed the fighting spirit we all want to see, he didn't pack it up at 2-4 and fought back, even though the linesmen were trying very hard to make him lose. Overall, hats off to this to guy, beating such a tough opponent like Simon, and being able to hit through him is very impressive. One of the best BO3 matches of the year. Monfils in a good form is next, Zverev was cramping in the final, so I'm not expecting a further run.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
:worship: What a win. This isn't the first time Zverev comes back when looking like he's out. He done the same last week when breaking Berrer whilst Berrer was serving for the match and got the win. Mentally Zverev always seems to work hard and never give up. Game wise he played very solid today using his BH to great effect. In comparison to when he first broke through reaching the semis in Hamburg he's playing a lot more aggressive now.

I think Simon could've played better in that TB, but overall you can't take it away from Zverev. He played top 20 level tennis today.

·
Registered
683 Posts
He gave the last two points in the tiebreak away so yeah he pretty much does or at least he did just that here. He also should've been up a double break but blew that too. I'm a fan and even I am finding it harder and harder to stomach the amount of choke going on from Gilles at key moments of big matches with him anymore.
Zverev still had to fight really hard to get the win though, Gilles didn't make it easy for him at all all match. Impressive win. But yeah, failing to get the double break was a big mistake - the match started to slip away from Gilles after that.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
wow sascha. such an amazing comeback. hope he can win today as well, but his fitness wont be great thats for sure

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Very good match.
Zverev played extremely well, he is really improving.
Can't say that Simon played badly, but playing with injury isn't really smart. Hope he doesn't play IW/Miami and heals his shoulder.

·
158,470 Posts
If we continue like that, than Sascha might get into Top 50 before he turns 19 :).

He may also attack Kohli for german Number One. Boy you're incredibile and it is such a joy to see you play like this. Continue to make us proud! :worship:
So happy to have an German men's player who can do some damage in future! :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
C'mon man, I remember always cheering for Cilic and Del Potro and being disappointed time after time when they got beaten by those 2.

Del Potro 3-11 Djokovic
Del Potro 2-5 Murray

Combined 5-16

Cilic 0-14 Djokovic
Cilic 2-10 Murray

Combined 2-24

This is the matchup issue I'm talking about. It's clear as day. 195cm+ guys are screwed vs Djokovic/Murray type. And I don't see Zverev finding a "cure" against it.

That's the big point I'm trying to make.
why put Djokovic and Murray together? a big hitter has no unique problems blasting Murray off the court. That really can't be said about Djoko, who presents a much bigger problem to the big tall hitters

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
C'mon man, I remember always cheering for Cilic and Del Potro and being disappointed time after time when they got beaten by those 2.

Del Potro 3-11 Djokovic
Del Potro 2-5 Murray

Combined 5-16

Cilic 0-14 Djokovic
Cilic 2-10 Murray

Combined 2-24

This is the matchup issue I'm talking about. It's clear as day. 195cm+ guys are screwed vs Djokovic/Murray type. And I don't see Zverev finding a "cure" against it.

That's the big point I'm trying to make.
Zverev won't have to find a cure since he is like 6-7 years away from his peak.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Was reminded of this match after watching Sinner-PCB today, very similar circumstances with an 18 y.o. youngster ranked in the 70s challenging an experienced player in Rotterdam. Both matches had great quality and drama, only the results were exactly reversed. Now I realize that this was probably the match thread I posted the most times in 🤣 Those were the times when we had lots of detailed analysis and Zverev was still a lovable youngster around here :p

81 - 98 of 98 Posts