Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was saying that, and I will repeat my thoughts once again.
It's quite exciting, but I truely believe that tennis FINALLY has a prospect who's on his own level of potential. I've got nothing against Coric, and I appreciate what Kyrgios did early in his career - also, I don't want to criticize The Useless Generation again. But right now, it seems to me that this Russian-German guy is what our game needed the most.
I'd call him ''generational'' prospect, because, like it or not, Marin Cilic, the youngest active GS titleholder, was born in 1988.
First of all, his game-wise potential. His backhand is going to be the best in ATP one day, his combination of size and movement is astonishing for 6'6'' tall guy, and he's developing quickly. I don't know whether you remember how he looked at the start of a season last year, but he got outpushed by John Patrick Smith (!) in AO qualies, his forehand looked awful and he started to play tennis in mid of April.
Versatility? He's great on clay, great on hard, very good indoor, good on both fast or slow surfaces. Grass? I liked what he shows last year, it was quite impressive for 18yo kid to fight closely with Karlovic, good presentation of himself during exhibition with Djokovic and three wins on ATP tour grass tournaments. I don't think you can say the same about Coric or Kyrgios f.e.
And the most important - his results are brilliant. One statistic - in age of 18y10m, back in 2006, Djokovic was ranked 66th at that time, and Murray was 45th. Zverev is 55th in live ranking right now, and beating Monfils will give him 10 places better ranking. And we know how fast was transition to ATP level made by Djokovic and Murray.
So yes - Zverev still has question marks around him, especially how his game will develop in terms of aggressivenes. But IMHO, in this moment, there is no way to disagree that Zverev is top prospect in the game, and probably the best prospect since Murray-Djokovic arrived.

·
Registered
21,255 Posts
Sick, sick match. Very high quality. I don't think Simon could have played any better, which is a testament to how insanely well Zverev played to hit through him.

But how ridiculous was the linescalling? By far the worst I have ever seen, even worse than Shanghai. There must have been at least ten mistakes, almost all of them against Zverev.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well...i`m glad that some people on MTF finally realised who the real prospect is among youngsters, some of us knew that since the early/mid 2015.
IKR. In fact, just actually watch the youngsters' matches. They, especially Zverev, did show some potentials here and there. Give them time to develop and improve. Don't let Slade's stupid posts blind you over and over again about how pathetic these youngsters are.

·
158,470 Posts
It's quite exciting, but I truely believe that tennis FINALLY has a prospect who's on his own level of potential. I've got nothing against Coric, and I appreciate what Kyrgios did early in his career - also, I don't want to criticize The Useless Generation again. But right now, it seems to me that this Russian-German guy is what our game needed the most.
I'd call him ''generational'' prospect, because, like it or not, Marin Cilic, the youngest active GS titleholder, was born in 1988.
First of all, his game-wise potential. His backhand is going to be the best in ATP one day, his combination of size and movement is astonishing for 6'6'' tall guy, and he's developing quickly. I don't know whether you remember how he looked at the start of a season last year, but he got outpushed by John Patrick Smith (!) in AO qualies, his forehand looked awful and he started to play tennis in mid of April.
Versatility? He's great on clay, great on hard, very good indoor, good on both fast or slow surfaces. Grass? I liked what he shows last year, it was quite impressive for 18yo kid to fight closely with Karlovic, good presentation of himself during exhibition with Djokovic and three wins on ATP tour grass tournaments. I don't think you can say the same about Coric or Kyrgios f.e.
And the most important - his results are brilliant. One statistic - in age of 18y10m, back in 2006, Djokovic was ranked 66th at that time, and Murray was 45th. Zverev is 55th in live ranking right now, and beating Monfils will give him 10 places better ranking. And we know how fast was transition to ATP level made by Djokovic and Murray.
So yes - Zverev still has question marks around him, especially how his game will develop in terms of aggressivenes. But IMHO, in this moment, there is no way to disagree that Zverev is top prospect in the game, and probably the best prospect since Murray-Djokovic arrived.
Sounds great! :)

·
Registered
21,255 Posts
Thus far no one in Zverev's height range has won more than two slams, so it would be really surprising if he can break that cycle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lol at hype after beating Simon. It was 50-50 or maybe 45-55 match before it started. Simon is bad these days and perfect "big name" pray for the kid. Zverev is top 10 caliber at best, I give him that, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Lol at hype after beating Simon. It was 50-50 or maybe 45-55 match before it started. Simon is bad these days and perfect "big name" pray for the kid. Zverev is top 10 caliber at best, I give him that, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
The reason of the hype is not just because he beat Simon, but because he was playing top 20-30 tennis at 18 years old,and fought his way back from the verge of defeat.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Good win for the kid. He shows a lot of potential in his game, can't wait for one of these young guys to make a real breakthrough, it's been freaking 10 years of the same faces on the top.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Its actually complete opposite, can't be any worse than Simon for the youngsters.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
First of all, I was cheering really hard for him in that 3rd set. Glad he managed to overcome all of the obstacles and take the win.

He played really good tennis and he's the most consistent tall guy on the Tour since Del Potro and Cilic came to the scene. Simon isn't in top form yet, making more UE than usual, but I value this victory because of the spirit he showed and how he dealt with the bad matchup.

Second, considering his height, he'll never have the playing style like Djokovic or Murray so those aren't the first players I'd compare him too. No matter what Djokotards try to say, Djokovic and Murray both heavily depend on their amazing movement, defense and ROS. I'd start with Del Potro and Cilic

Zverev is currently 17y10m and 55 in live rankings. Cilic was 120th at that time, so Zverev is comfortably in front of him. Del Potro was 53 so they're practically at the same place which is really good.

It's obvious Zverev has huge potential. However, he'll need to play a very agressive game to beat current TOP10 players. I believe the match against Monfils (if he plays solid) will expose the current problems. ROS which is common for young players. Very tall, lanky guys usually never develop great ROS. We'll see how much Zverev will improve it. Forehand is a very good rally shot already, but it lacks power for the game he requires. Again, can't tell how great it will be in the future. The backhand is a monster and volleys are really good for his age. Serve is already very good.
And now the big issue. Movement. Simon can't expose it, but Monfils can. I don't think he can grind out any of the TOP10 players. Especially in a bo5. He'll need to blast through them. Getting into TOP20 won't be a problem for Zverev. How fast he'll get into the very top depends on the progress of his forehand and ROS.

I agree, he'll be a candidate for Slams on every surface. I think clay is his favorite (right?) but RG is going to be his weakest Slam until he turns that forehand into a big weapon. If it comes anywhere close to his backhand in the future, and his ROS to at least Cilic level(pre2015), he'll win Slams. Kyrgios and Coric have both shown they can play all on surfaces. Kyrgios' weakest is clay, but he almost won Estoril. He's not bad on it, and will improve. Coric was terrible on grass, but in Wimbledon he beat Stakhovsky while being unable to run because of cramps. He played a very competitive match vs Seppi who's also very solid on grass but ran out of steam. Kokkinakis can also play on all surfaces, while Chung struggles on clay and grass.

It's hard to compare him with Coric. Zverev's results/ranking isn't as impressive which isn't a big deal. They're just numbers on papers. What got them there is more important. Zverev will have the better offense, Coric will have the better defense. Beyond that, it's hard to predict who'll be better.

Del Potro had better offense than Djokovic and Murray but those two destroyed him. If a new Djokovic/Murray type player (good all round game with amazing ROS) develops from 96+ generations(and Coric currently looks like he could be one; if not him, maybe someone else) Zverev will probably never be #1 because that's a terrible matchup for him.

Just like Coric, Zverev's career depends a lot on how his forehand develops. An amazing forehand will always be better than an amazing backhand and when you look it at it like that Del Potro<Zverev

There's still a lot of questions about their futures.

We should just sit back and enjoy the ride because we finally have big talents knocking on the door.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Its actually complete opposite, can't be any worse than Simon for the youngsters.
There are worse opponents for youngsters. For instance, Troicki. Good grinder with huge serve. Exposes the most common weaknesses of young player: inconsistency and bad ROS. Monfils can do the same when in form and serious. Lets not talk about Berdych, who'll sweep any youngster of the court, even Kyrgios. And of course, the big 4 + Wawa, that goes without saying.

P.S. RBA in current form deserves a mention aswell.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Del Potro had better offense than Djokovic and Murray but those two destroyed him. If a new Djokovic/Murray type player (good all round game with amazing ROS) develops from 96+ generations(and Coric currently looks like he could be one; if not him, maybe someone else) Zverev will probably never be #1 because that's a terrible matchup for him.
What? They didn't 'destroy' him even after del Potro had his first major surgery and lost all his progress/momentum, let alone before it :lol:

Anyway, I like the del Potro comparisons, I actually called Zverev a mini-del Potro as early as 2014 and it's good to see him do well this year so far, although the loss to PHM last weekend was very disappointing. Beating Cilic and Simon in consecutive weeks is certainly very encouraging though, I hope he continues making progress...

Talking about Slams is very premature though, let him win a 250 first... (this applies to all other young players).

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
What? They didn't 'destroy' him even after del Potro had his first major surgery and lost all his progress/momentum, let alone before it :lol:

Anyway, I like the del Potro comparisons, I actually called Zverev a mini-del Potro as early as 2014 and it's good to see him do well this year so far, although the loss to PHM last weekend was very disappointing. Beating Cilic and Simon in consecutive weeks is certainly very encouraging though, I hope he continues making progress...

Talking about Slams is very premature though, let him win a 250 first... (this applies to all other young players).
C'mon man, I remember always cheering for Cilic and Del Potro and being disappointed time after time when they got beaten by those 2.

Del Potro 3-11 Djokovic
Del Potro 2-5 Murray

Combined 5-16

Cilic 0-14 Djokovic
Cilic 2-10 Murray

Combined 2-24

This is the matchup issue I'm talking about. It's clear as day. 195cm+ guys are screwed vs Djokovic/Murray type. And I don't see Zverev finding a "cure" against it.

That's the big point I'm trying to make.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
HAHA, another day, another so called young gun losing to boring pushing mugs, and they call this actually a young prospect ? embarassi...

oh wait
You didn't disprove anything. No youngster can ever win easily. It's always a close 3 set affair vs. any player under the sun. Real youngster prospects have easy wins.

His time to prove himself was in the AO against a substandard Murray, and he couldn't do anything.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
It's quite exciting, but I truely believe that tennis FINALLY has a prospect who's on his own level of potential.
MTF... :lol:

After the big 4, nobody has ever lived up to MTF hype. Ever. This result means nothing. Wait until a youngster wins a 1000 or a slam, or at least has a big scalp of a top player. This is nothing. Simon has had worse losses to worse players.

Zverev is 2M tall. He will never achieve anything of significance in tennis. Too tall.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
C'mon man, I remember always cheering for Cilic and Del Potro and being disappointed time after time when they got beaten by those 2.

Del Potro 3-11 Djokovic
Del Potro 2-5 Murray

Combined 5-16

Cilic 0-14 Djokovic
Cilic 2-10 Murray

Combined 2-24

This is the matchup issue I'm talking about. It's clear as day. 195cm+ guys are screwed vs Djokovic/Murray type. And I don't see Zverev finding a "cure" against it.

That's the big point I'm trying to make.
These H2Hs need context. del Potro's career has been destroyed by systematic injuries ever since he turned 21, even so whenever he was fit he was never outmatched by those 2 or anyone else, whenever he lost it was in very close matches. Anyway, it'd be highly pessimistic to predict Zverev having his career destroyed by injuries...

As for Cilic, he just rarely beats top 10 players in general, unfortunately despite his USO title he never managed to establish himself as a consistent top 10 player. It's not noteworthy that a player with Cilic's overall record rarely beats two player who've been top 5 most of their careers.

I do agree there are challenges that come with being that tall, namely concerning movement and more importantly recovery between matches, it's tougher for big guys to recover between matches... but I'd not focus too much on Djokovic/Murray, those two just beat everybody most of the time, regardless of their size. That's because they're generally better or at least more consistent than the rest of the field. There was never a time when del Potro and Cilic were beating everyone else just coming up short against them; del Potro had other well known problems (ie staying fit), and Cilic well he never managed to become a consistent feature in the top 10.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts