Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quality match with quality tennis!

Simon led 4-2 in the third (and had a BP for 5*-2), but Zverev got treatment for cramps and fought back to 4-all. He even had 0-30 on Simon's serve at 5-4*, only two points away from the match, but Simon held strong and eventually forced the third-set tiebreak. But Zverev was not done fighting, and he rode a strong serve and some nice winners to the end, 7-6(4). (Simon also helped by dropping his final two service points by dumping shots into the net.)

Some of Zverev's shots were really ridiculous. If he works on his fitness, he'll definitely be one to watch.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Well done kid :yeah:

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
HAHA, another day, another so called young gun losing to boring pushing mugs, and they call this actually a young prospect ? embarassi...

oh wait

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Great game against someone who took Djokovic to 5 sets recently, he played a bit soft in the 3rd and could have easily lost except Simon played a little bit softer. If Zverev happens to win this tourno he will pass Coric in the rankings . . . go Zverev.

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Nice, I closed the streaming after he got broken thinking he will surely lose, nice to see he got the win.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
This match had everything: Quality,drama,clutchness,chokes,line calls,net cords......You name it.

Kudos to both players for fighting to the end,Simon did well to fight back from 5-7 1-2*,and Zverev to fight through fatigue and 2*-4 40-A in the third.

Great win for Zverev,most memorable match in his career so far. Monfils is probably laughing somewhere......
Zverev had drops in level,but he played top 20 tennis more than half the match,and he wasn't bothered by loads of wrong calls.
Simon was really solid,playing his own game well and even GOATing lots of passing shots,but he faltered at the end.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I wrote it after his win over Cilic last week and i repeat it, this is the first young player in a long, long time, who makes me think "he can become a new Safin".

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Lol Clownfils is gonna destroy him. Going from a consistent baseline pusher (Simon) to Monfils is going to be a slap in the face.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
^ Isn't Monfils also a consistent baseline pusher? Okay,maybe not as much as Simon,but I believe the main problem is Zverev's fitness.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Great match! Massive effort by Zverev to keep on fighting despite his cramping. Simon never gives matches away - Zverev had to earn it the hard way and it should give him confidence going forward.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts