Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First completed top 10 win for Bedene after over 20 tries, he played a composed match and was gutsy on the big points. I‘ve always considered him the ultimate average top 100 player, but he deserves a big win after so many years on tour and he earned it today. Unwarranted implosion by Tsitsipas though, he simply went away after failing to convert 5 BPs in set 1. The WTF trophy working its wonders?👻

·
Registered
422 Posts
Disappointing result...one has to wonder if the prospect of playing an in form Felix was in Stef's head. Couldn't watch the match so I can't say if this was a tank or not....

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disappointing result...one has to wonder if the prospect of playing an in form Felix was in Stef's head. Couldn't watch the match so I can't say if this was a tank or not....
He definitely wanted to win at the start of the match, but after Bedene held for 5-5 it felt like he started tanking sub-consciously, at least his mind wasn’t there for the rest of the match.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Stefanos is a guy who has beaten all of the big 3 in the past 12 months. Why in the hell would he tank to avoid FAA, even considering their (rather small) h2h?

·
Registered
526 Posts
A great win for Bedene, but disappointing for the tournament indeed. Tsitsipas -Felix would have been an interesting match. At one point (before Tsitsipas first win in the matchup) the Greek questioned whether he would ever beat his rival from the junior years. One would expect that he was over this feeling, though, and the loss was just due to good play from Bedene and a slightly poor effort from himself.

·
justice for all
12,518 Posts
Not that Bedene is bad but that's really tragic stuff by Stef.
Don't know if the shoulder was bothering him or it's just a spell of poor form that goes on.
Needs to regroup for the Sunshine Double cause currently he looks like an average TOP30 player.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure if it is Pas-Pas or Shapovalov the one with the worst blocked BH return.

Bedene is a clean baseline striker (not so good when hitting near the net though) and was cool as a cucumber during the first set, saving all those BH by hammering Pas-Pas BH with his first serve, but that meltdown and ugly shanks from Pas-Pas at 5-5 lol.

Pas-Pas looks really tense atm, feeling the pressure for sure, and he was lucky Huckarz pretty much collapsed when he was leading 7-6 2-0, but I always got the feeling from him that when his 1-2 first serve+FH combo is not working he can be quite vulnerable with his BH and ROS issues.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
Bedener in the house. What was that serving?
thats Bedene since 2019, really.

Who could forget his near 30(?) aces against PCB.

His ballstriking has upped immensely, too.

Still, unexpected to say the least.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
He definitely wanted to win at the start of the match, but after Bedene held for 5-5 it felt like he started tanking sub-consciously, at least his mind wasn’t there for the rest of the match.
I felt that was the case after 5-5 in the 1st and 1-1 in the 2nd.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Cool to see Young Guns teaching Next Gens a lesson. Nishikori is probably still hitting sponge balls at IMG, both Raonic and Dimitrov in poor losing form, but then we've got Bedene and Pospisil to the rescue, to rectify the world order.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Stefanos is a guy who has beaten all of the big 3 in the past 12 months. Why in the hell would he tank to avoid FAA, even considering their (rather small) h2h?
Because he feels no pressure to perform well against the big 3...they'll be gone within the next 5 years anyway. Felix on the other hand will be one of his main rivals for the next 10 to 15 years. If you want how badly Felix was in Stef's head have a look at this : Stefanos Tsitsipas On Felix Auger-Aliassime: 'I Might Never Beat Him' | ATP Tour | Tennis

It's not just their ATP record, he was 0-4 in the juniors against him. Sure he did beat him for the first time in the fall last year but Felix was at his lowest point in the year form wise. That's why I was looking forward to the rematch but it won't happen.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
I just lost some faith in you.
They don't "tank" for fear of Felix next, my god, you're better than that I thought ?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Because he feels no pressure to perform well against the big 3...they'll be gone within the next 5 years anyway. Felix on the other hand will be one of his main rivals for the next 10 to 15 years. If you want how badly Felix was in Stef's head have a look at this : Stefanos Tsitsipas On Felix Auger-Aliassime: 'I Might Never Beat Him' | ATP Tour | Tennis

It's not just their ATP record, he was 0-4 in the juniors against him. Sure he did beat him for the first time in the fall last year but Felix was at his lowest point in the year form wise. That's why I was looking forward to the rematch but it won't happen.
It’s definitely a given Felix is in his head as he still needed 2 tiebreaks to take out subpar Felix in Shanghai, then goes and beats Djokovic after.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts