Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12 aces, zero DFs, 85% on 1st serve, 81% on 2nd. Clinical serving performance by Ernests in battle of LLs.
Nishikori/Gulbis might be really interesting if it happens :p

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I was expecting Gulbis to win, but thought it was going to be a battle. Annihilation instead. Both being LL smells to high heaven tho.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was expecting Gulbis to win, but thought it was going to be a battle. Annihilation instead. Both being LL smells to high heaven tho.
Watched them both in Qualifying and Gulbis looked much better there. Copil was lucky to beat Griekspoor (saving MPs) and was pretty bad vs Fabbiano, too.

It seems to happen quite often that Lucky Losers end up playing each other in tennis, doesn't it? Exra-lucky Lucky Losers. :lol:

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Gulbis is a decent returner but still how can you serve 240+ kph and only win 57% of your 1st serves indoor? That's baffling.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Gulbis is a decent returner but still how can you serve 240+ kph and only win 57% of your 1st serves indoor? That's baffling.
Even if he can hit it that hard (that's Roddick level), I doubt it's anywhere near average speed of his 1st serve. Just looked his stats from Goffin AO match. He really served fastest 240 km/h but average 1st was 202. Still pretty fast but with average placement pretty block-able on return.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Even if he can hit it that hard (that's Roddick level), I doubt it's anywhere near average speed of his 1st serve. Just looked his stats from Goffin AO match. He really served fastest 240 km/h but average 1st was 202. Still pretty fast but with average placement pretty block-able on return.
I watch him a lot, he will often serve 185 kph semi kicker on the ad side which are easily returnable.. I don't really know if he tries to manage his shoulder or his energy level isn't high enough over the full course of a match but it's strange, also as you said placement not always the best. For me his serve should be close to Raonic/Roddick level but it's far from it.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Watched them both in Qualifying and Gulbis looked much better there. Copil was lucky to beat Griekspoor (saving MPs) and was pretty bad vs Fabbiano, too.

It seems to happen quite often that Lucky Losers end up playing each Yother in tennis, doesn't it? Exra-lucky Lucky Losers. :lol:
Yup. Copil looked poor against Fabbiano, whereas Gulbis was decent against Simon. I was expecting an easy win for Gulbis here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts