Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who predicted Chung to win a slam in 2019 again?

Should’ve been straight sets but nikolosz overpowered every second ball for about 30 mins...

·
Premium Member
8,288 Posts
Much more talented player. Bash should have won in straights but I’m glad he got it done in the end.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Thought CHUNGredo played a solid first 2 sets not that Bash didn't either but thought the Korean was better. Writing was on the wall when Bash took the second set TB though. CHUNGredo still terribly low in confidence. Better showing today though, hopefully he takes the positives from this. Looking forward to seeing him back on clay tbh.

Hopefully Bash can have a run here. Like watching this guy. Amazing ball striker.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Honestly since Miami 2018, Chung has been terrible.

I have to wonder if it's just confidence or is it not working out with his coach? He just doesn't seem the same player.

I've followed him since he won most improved player at end of 2015 and really actually started watching most of his matches in 2017. Despite his injuries he still had a very good run on clay in 2017 and was putting away experienced players with ease. He also won next gen and of course got to AO semis in 2018. up to that point his average and peak level seemed very high. He also reached the QFs in Indian Wells playing very well. Even if he lost to top players, he generally gave a good account of himself.

The reality is that he was playing better in 2017. And his strong performances at beginning of 2018 were really before his coach could make his mark i would say. So i have to wonder what is going on with him really? can he just not handle added pressure or expectation, or is it something else?

·
MONSOON season.
81,405 Posts
What a disastrous match. Chung was nowhere to be found, while Basilashvili was an UE machine. Neither player deserved to advance to the second round TBH.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Once Chung broke back, he absorbed and retrieved all power thrown at him, so Basilashvili always had to take the bigger risks and heavier swings, which resulted in misses and getting broken. Just take the first game of the second set as example.

Chung was up a set and a break, but his energy started to fade, and Basil kept on the attack relentlessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts