Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sinner's play from 2-5 in the 3rd set was great tbh. Almost every rally was like a statement from him saying "I'm here and I'm here to stay". I was watching and just saying "Ok bro", then a minute later he would win a great rally and I would say "ok bro, we got it...". It was great to watch, but would have been much better if he had won.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Didn't know PCB was so hated around here. :ROFLMAO:

Not a fan by any means, but he's the kind of tenacious grinder/pusher that will make someone with a great (in the making) but still raw game like Sinner hit so many balls and draw UEs, especially when his net game is still so poor and has to hit all winners from the baseline. Yeah, when Sinner was cruising he was amazing (he's stunning at creating pace out of nowhere) but he still plays very bad games and needs more time to put it all the pieces together. Not the last match of this kind that he will lose.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
This thread is a perfect example of the sheepish mentality among most MTF members, these days.

It's cool to dislike one player to the extent of saying he has a "punchable face", pusher and boring. Yet, if you were to say that about some players, the exact same people would whine like babies.

Too funny.

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
PCB is a guy that makes the most of his talent but somehow such guys (or defensive minded players in general) get hated on here as though it's not a legit way of playing.
Anyway, when he wins, it causes ruins. And I love chaos. So good result for internet activity.
I get that PCB’s game is a bit boring but the fact that people act that him winning is tragic for tennis and acts like his tennis is like you said, not a legit way of playing tennis and thus him winning isn’t fair is fairly hilarious.

This match was great and PCB played a great part in it, we need this kind of players for variety. Clash of styles matchups are the best. And I think it’s time to appreciate such players. I’m not gonna lie, I used to be those kind of posters but slowly I’m starting to appreciate this kind of players like him, RBA, etc. I’ll never be a fan of them because their game doesn’t really appeal to me. But I can see their usefulness in tennis and they matchup well with shot makers, as you can see with this match. For me the players that I really can’t stand at all as of now is those only the serve kind of players like Isner/Opelka/Karlovic. They don’t matchup well with any player

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You're only making Goffin appreciated even less.
Fuck do I care, Goffin is someone I like to watch not a political candidate. I'm not his fucking PR-department Im a supporter not an evangelizer. Holy fuck we are just shitposting here, unlike some I dont invest my soul into a battle for a narrative of exaclty which one is the ""goat"" like a fucking cult member. He has been ridiculed and underestimated a massive amount of times, sometimes justifiably so (being double bageled by Nieminen lol). He is habitually underestimated, not a pusher, not a pure shotmaker, not a ballbasher, people have a hard time getting him because he isnt easily categorized and his game isnt of nature that cant be as consistent as other more boring players. Hate him, joke about him, Im jokjjeshruk and I post across the internet worshipping David Goffin because he has a beautiful game and I dont give a fuck.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Fuck do I care, Goffin is someone I like to watch not a political candidate. I'm not his fucking PR-department Im a supporter not an evangelizer. Holy fuck we are just shitposting here, unlike some I dont invest my soul into a battle for a narrative of exaclty which one is the ""goat"" like a fucking cult member. He has been ridiculed and underestimated a massive amount of times, sometimes justifiably so (being double bageled by Nieminen lol). He is habitually underestimated, not a pusher, not a pure shotmaker, not a ballbasher, people have a hard time getting him because he isnt easily categorized and his game isnt of nature that cant be as consistent as other more boring players. Hate him, joke about him, Im jokjjeshruk and I post across the internet worshipping David Goffin because he has a beautiful game and I dont give a fuck.
Okay. I figure Goffin is rich and successful enough not to care the least bit what the internet public thinks. He's just that kind of a featureless player you describe, jack of all trades master of none, which along with his choking tendencies makes him generally uninspiring although every bird has its fans and you're one of them apparently. As a person he seems like a nice guy though, perhaps too nice for his competitive good.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Didn't know PCB was so hated around here. :ROFLMAO:

Not a fan by any means, but he's the kind of tenacious grinder/pusher that will make someone with a great (in the making) but still raw game like Sinner hit so many balls and draw UEs, especially when his net game is still so poor and has to hit all winners from the baseline. Yeah, when Sinner was cruising he was amazing (he's stunning at creating pace out of nowhere) but he still plays very bad games and needs more time to put it all the pieces together. Not the last match of this kind that he will lose.
I think people are resentful of his success precisely because of how good he is while being so unspectacular and average, no particular strenghts, pretty average but good looking, no interesting and maybe even an annoying personality, uninteresting nationality, Spaniards are so used to success that they can pick and choose the countrymen to support. He is very much a median of the tour kind of player, yet he has accomplished more than so many others that can hit spectacular shots, grind incredibly, hit beautiful volleys or whatever. This creates resentment in fans of other players and him being in the top 10 sort of devalues getting into the top 10. Some odd ducks have sneaked in to the top 10, but I cant think of anyone worse and above all more boring of the top of my head since I started following tennis a little bit 2005-ish. Some would argue that Troicki was worse maybe (dont think so, right?) but someone like Troicki has natural charisma and also a slightly more interesting game.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Okay. I figure Goffin is rich and successful enough not to care the least bit what the internet public thinks. He's just that kind of a featureless player you describe, jack of all trades master of none, which along with his choking tendencies makes him generally uninspiring although every bird has its fans and you're one of them apparently. As a person he seems like a nice guy though, perhaps too nice for his competitive good.
Like with all players if you watch them more you get a better appreciation for what it looks like when they are on their best. With Goffin at his peak, he kinda does whatever he wants with the ball in his peak matches, he is one of the best in the world off the ground, in rallies on his day, although that can ofc be said of a lot of players. I am a fan of non ballbashers who win rallies with aggression and skill, taking the ball early and cleanly. Nalbandian, Davydenko, Nieminen, Nishikori. Goffin started to rise at the end of Nieminens career and as a Finn who originally only really cheered for Nieminen, Goffin was a nice surrogate. They are pretty similar in their strenghts and weaknesses, but Nieminen didnt hit as clean and relied more on his defense. Ultimately liking someone in a sport is pretty irrational. For me Goffin's groundgame at its best is sort of the platonic beauty that DFW describes he finds in Federer's game. Its not serve, big forehand, ballbashing, grinding, defense, its just hitting the ball earlier, cleaner and more precisely than your opponent and using these abilities to win rallies like an 18th century French fencer slices up his opponent, its just skill. Im not saying that defending, ballbashing or serving isnt a skill, but they arent what for me defines tennis.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
A round of applause for PCB. You wouldn't have thought that he would be able to survive this kind of a match against such an adversity. 95+% of the other players out there on tour would've collapsed against such relentless attacks. That was impressive especially since PCB isn't exactly known as a phenomenal defender.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Like with all players if you watch them more you get a better appreciation for what it looks like when they are on their best. With Goffin at his peak, he kinda does whatever he wants with the ball in his peak matches, he is one of the best in the world off the ground, in rallies on his day, although that can ofc be said of a lot of players. I am a fan of non ballbashers who win rallies with aggression and skill, taking the ball early and cleanly. Nalbandian, Davydenko, Nieminen, Nishikori. Goffin started to rise at the end of Nieminens career and as a Finn who originally only really cheered for Nieminen, Goffin was a nice surrogate. They are pretty similar in their strenghts and weaknesses, but Nieminen didnt hit as clean and relied more on his defense. Ultimately liking someone in a sport is pretty irrational. For me Goffin's groundgame at its best is sort of the platonic beauty that DFW describes he finds in Federer's game. Its not serve, big forehand, ballbashing, grinding, defense, its just hitting the ball earlier, cleaner and more precisely than your opponent and using these abilities to win rallies like an 18th century French fencer slices up his opponent, its just skill. Im not saying that defending, ballbashing or serving isnt a skill, but they arent what for me defines tennis.
Yeah pretty much spot on analysis on pure tennis skills. If you dig deep you'll find that there is nothing on the tour quite like Goffin now in comparisson with the past (I remember Arazi, Rios off the top of my head but theres much more). He defines pure early ball striking tennis, he relies on nothing more but than his "wrist" and colocation, not even power . So Effortless and Flat is his game that he appears floating and playing in some PS video game.

Goffin is from another era

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Great post.

·
Registered
28,785 Posts
This thread is a perfect example of the sheepish mentality among most MTF members, these days.

It's cool to dislike one player to the extent of saying he has a "punchable face", pusher and boring. Yet, if you were to say that about some players, the exact same people would whine like babies.

Too funny.
Nah. I was the one who said PCB has a punchable face but if someone said that about my faves I wouldn't give a crap lolz. "Noserer" is one of the funniest descriptions of Roger imo

·
Registered
28,785 Posts
Quality stuff, a poster who is not a clone. Keep doing what you're doing

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Only time I'll catch myself cheering with for PCB is when playing this overhyped little shit
That made me chuckle. Finally there seems to be a consensus about an up and comer who's universally liked by everybody. Thankfully, a lone hero emerged, carrying the torch of hate. :D Traditions must not die!

·
Registered
28,785 Posts
Sinner might be the best 18 year old player I have ever seen and I saw 18 year old Fed, Nadal, Djoko and Murray
wat. Nadal was way better.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yeah pretty much spot on analysis on pure tennis skills. If you dig deep you'll find that there is nothing on the tour quite like Goffin now in comparisson with the past (I remember Arazi, Rios off the top of my head but theres much more). He defines pure early ball striking tennis, he relies on nothing more but than his "wrist" and colocation, not even power . So Effortless and Flat is his game that he appears floating and playing in some PS video game.

Goffin is from another era
Davydenko used to be described as the playstation player, but Goffin is like the playstation player with more precision and less power. Davy had his charm, but lacked finesse, there is also something of a skinny peak mobile Nalbandian feel with Goffin. And who the hell doesnt love Nalbandian. I have watched clips of Rios and loved it but he was before my era. I have barely heard of Arazi.

Anyway, happy some people could understand why I like Goffin. To me its obvious because its mainly about aesthetics. I was at a party with a friend whose roommate is studying dance, a lot of his buddies there where dance people, I had a nice conversation about how both dance and tennis is about the cordinated yet spontanous movement of the body. A lot of similarities, but its easier to see when a tennis player fucks up, because some fat guy shouts when its 2 cm out despite being a beautiful shot

61 - 80 of 80 Posts