Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kei didn't really have a great serving day and had some tough moments but his game is too solid for Marton. Fucsovics has very good IQ on the court, plays the FH pretty well and has good slice to keep opponents honest, but his court position is problematic playing a guy like Kei who crowds the baseline and makes you move. He had two great games to break Kei by hanging in deep and waiting for the moment to reply but couldn't hold his serve or this level. After being up 2-0 in second set, Kei reeled the next 6 games with some guided plays and a flurry of different shots be them lobs, volleys or passes and return winners, making it seem like nowhere on the court was safe to put the ball.

I think Kei has made QF or better at all events he's played since the US Open SF run.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Marton playing at 100% (both form and fitness) could merely keep pace with Kei, then when he started wearing out, Kei steamrolled him. Great performance from Kei, especially that end of set 1 and then reeling off a Virtual 2nd set bagel. I think he would be a slight favourite against Stan, especially if Stan doesn't return well.

·
52,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good stats from Kei and aggressive at net too

Fucsovics serving though :eek: WTA levels...

·
52,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably point of the match

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
That looks like an insane scoreline given Fucsovic's level against Basilashvili....

just wow.

He even made Nole sweat to the heavens in Doha.

·
52,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks like an insane scoreline given Fucsovic's level against Basilashvili....

just wow.

He even made Nole sweat to the heavens in Doha.
I was expecting a harder challenge. Maybe he's tired after Sofia. He broke Kei twice by hanging in rallies and having Kei overplay a bit before Kei adjusted bu closing the net faster, but he couldn't hold off Kei on his serve (possibly one of Kei's strongest return performances, most returns landing near the backlines). An ATP player winning just 43% of their first serve pts is rare.

I can see why Nole might struggle, Marton uses quite a bit of junk balls at times and deep slice.

Wawrinka will be a trickier test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts