Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN Video: Rosol says top players are taking too much time and nobody says anything - Later, exiting council President Federer calls for faster play, especially for shorter points - doesn't want to lose viewers due to slow play

In case you don't understand Lukas' accent in the video above, here's the equivalent written response along with the question that drew this response:

QUESTION: Seemed that even by his standards the pace was kind of - especially when he was struggling - the pace was really slow. Did this ever bother you or get into your head at all?

LUKAS ROSOL: "No. I think all the players should have same time, you know, between the points. But always best players, they're taking much more than the normal players, you know, and nobody is telling them nothing. I don't know why.

There was no chance to -- he was taking between the serves at least -- when the game starts it was not 30 seconds, you know. It was one minute always.

He is doing all his rituals. Somebody has to tell them something"

Rosol also said (not on video): "I just said two times to the referee if it's still okay, and he was saying to me, yes, it was fine. But this is not the point why I lost today. No. Didn't bother me. But the referee was not going with the rules. Yeah."

Federer's question and response:

QUESTION: When you came off court, the interview you gave, you offered up fairly unsolicited some comments on speed of play. I wonder if you'd like to expand on your comments and wonder if they were inspired by watching a match on Centre Court earlier today.

ROGER FEDERER: "No, I just think it's important that we, as players, play up to speed, you know, and don't exceed the time limit, because what I don't want is that we lose viewers because we play too slow.

I was talking in particular if the points are short. You cannot take 25 seconds. I mean, I know you need to focus. That you can do in 10 seconds. Just can't be that we only see two points per minute. I just feel like we need to keep up the pace and obviously play according to the rules.

The rules are there not to be broken, but of course you need to give leeway to tough rallies and somebody who's got -- needs a bit more time. I'm fine with that.

I just think overall -- because I just realize it happened to me. I did watch some matches. I don't remember who it was. But they were playing so slow I was like, Okay, I really -- I can't watch it. It's like going too slow for me. That's why I said that."

Though this says nothing about the shot clock statement, I guess Mods can merge this into the shot clock thread if they think this doesn't merit its own thread.

Rosol says he isn't bothered, hmm, but as a lower ranked player he clearly he sees something wrong with top players getting preferential treatment and umpires (referees) keeping their mouths shut.

He's right and is entitled to an explanation from ITF/ATP for their umpires not adhering to the rules, and an expectation that this will change for the better. But for some reason, I think they'll tell him to be quiet and not rock the boat.

I guess based on his own experience, Roger Federer is genuinely concerned that tennis will lose audience with slow play. He's right, it's difficult to watch for long. Like watching a dog scratching fleas and biting its own behind all day. Once might be interesting to observe, but over and over again? No, you have to eliminate the problem. My guess is that he has probably spoken of this behind closed doors previously, and while there was a bit of an improvement here and there, it obviously isn't consistent nor lasting, more a facade really. So now that he's no longer in the council, he probably feels more free to raise the issue in public. Let's see what happens.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
2,797 Posts
Frauderer concerned about tennis losing viewers = BULLSH1T.

This clown if full of it. :bs:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Nadal is a cheater and a bully. It's embarrassing for the organisations responsible to enforce the rules to be so utterly weak and useless. Players are bigger than the sport right now. Nobody is doing anything to stop this cheater. He's been doing it for years and it's fcuking annoying to watch.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
There was never a truer statement made. The tour has become a farce in this respect- why have rules at all if they won't be enforced for everyone? Should Nadal get to hit in into the doubles alley because he is more popular than his opponent? Should he get 3 serves? It's a joke.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Sore looser no?

·
Banned
29 Posts
Pigeons gonna moan. Glad losoR got the beating that was coming to him after daring to beat Nadal in 2012. Nadal now evens the slam h2h with losoR and leads their overall h2h 2-1.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Finally it has come to this. Just when I thought he it was only his fans that were arrogant. Mafia-king makes his final move before leaving his position as president of the ATP council, to preserve the last remains of his legacy.

I say to hell with it. Let them give Rafa only 5 seconds the next time they face-off. Heck, make him play only with his right hand, and without his water-bottles. It wouldn't change the outcome

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I wonder what his Girlfriend or Wife this about the pace...

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what it is worth, I thought Rafa played much faster today. After the 1st set toilet break, he looked like he was shot out of a cannon, moving like a whirling dervish.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Frauderer concerned about tennis losing viewers = BULLSH1T.

This clown if full of it. :bs:
Now that's what cults are like... they have a set of "safe" words... a fake book, a fake demigod. Everything is about calling others "fraud." Sort of like projecting. When you study psychology, you understand that many of these poor folks want to tell the truth, want to admit they have wasted their life following their cult leader, but they can't, so they give you hints of it with their words. Quite fascinating when you study these cults like you do ants and microbes in the lab.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Now that's what cults are like... they have a set of "safe" words... a fake book, a fake demigod. Everything is about calling others "fraud." Sort of like projecting. When you study psychology, you understand that many of these poor folks want to tell the truth, want to admit they have wasted their life following their cult leader, but they can't, so they give you hints of it with their words. Quite fascinating when you study these cults like you do ants and microbes in the lab.
Now that's what cults are like, calling everyone who doesn't subscribe to the cult view "sheeple" and talking about their fake "gods"

Fascinating indeed.

See how that works?

Smile for the camera, child.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Now that's what cults are like, calling everyone who doesn't subscribe to the cult view "sheeple" and talking about their fake "gods"

Fascinating indeed.

See how that works?

Smile for the camera, child.
Nice try sweetie. You sound butt hurt to be honest. haha. I recommend green tea or maybe reading a book, but I understand that may be too much

·
Banned
29 Posts
I wonder what his Girlfriend or Wife this about the pace...
Well, Rosol already blew his load after beating Nadal in 2012- had nothing left in the tank for the remainder of his career. Nadal pounded the nail into the coffin after his victory this week- it's almost poetic.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
well he's right. its nothing that hasnt been said on here by many of the posters and was even noted by some of the commentators

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Nice try sweetie. You sound butt hurt to be honest. haha. I recommend green tea or maybe reading a book, but I understand that may be too much
I'm simply amused by your bush league attempts to play psychoanalyst, dear.

The thing about projection and talking about "cults" is that it's a simple rhetorical move that can be made against anyone, especially including the simpleton making the initial claim (i.e. you)

:lol:

Problem can be found.

Respectfully,
Tribalfusion

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
You mean words like "Dull", "pig", etc cyrusqueen?

And stop stealing from Yahoo!Sports the idea about "Federer cultists". It is about YOU and has been on there before you joined MTF and changed your username 2 days after the US Open 2010 final out of an extreme butthurt :haha:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts